Could Celebrity consider giving 4 drink coupons per elite and above guests (like Royal does) instead of the 5-7 free drink time. This makes it very difficult for guests that dine at 5:00 p.m. to enjoy a pre dinner drink. Or they have to rush after their dinner to make the 7:00 p.m. stop time.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, we are not planning to change our drinks benefit to match Royal. The Crown & Anchor Society benefit is more focused on the drinks while we are more focused on the cocktail hour and the experience for members to get together. 

The match program gives you the equivalent tier status on our sister brands so you can enjoy the benefits they offer when you sail with them. We have not changed the benefits to be the same across brands. Each program is tailored to the individual brand.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

At this point, we are not planning to change our drinks benefit to match Royal. The Crown & Anchor Society benefit is more focused on the drinks while we are more focused on the cocktail hour and the experience for members to get together. 

The match program gives you the equivalent tier status on our sister brands so you can enjoy the benefits they offer when you sail with them. We have not changed the benefits to be the same across brands. Each program is tailored to the individual brand.

Bummer we find the 5 to 7 timeframe not helpful. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Bummer we find the 5 to 7 timeframe not helpful. 

Agreed. Perhaps a choice at check-in as to which you prefer. Not only does the timing not really work for those who dine earlier, forced socialization is not fun for introverts.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agreed. Perhaps a choice at check-in as to which you prefer. Not only does the timing not really work for those who dine earlier, forced socialization is not fun for introverts.

Agree we bring our own friends to drink with Lol

• Like 3

I have never seen anyone hanging around looking for people to drink with between 5-7. For me it is a money issue. It is very inconvenient and many of us just can’t seem to work around it. At most one can grab a glass of wine to take in to dinner. It would make more sense for Royal to have the cheaper program. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

There are different views on this like most things here.  Yes we would much rather have the very flexible drink coupons than a limited happy hour with limited menu.  We enjoy this when sailing RCCL ships.  In fact if we sail in a suite on RCCL, use the suite lounge, and have our 5 D+ drink coupons each, there is absolutely no need for us to buy an expensive beverage package.  If we sail in a suite on Celebrity, the premium drink package is included, but it makes a suite much more expensive.  The Elite happy hour is useless to us if we sail in a suite on Celebrity.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There are different views on this like most things here.  Yes we would much rather have the very flexible drink coupons than a limited happy hour with limited menu.  We enjoy this when sailing RCCL ships.  In fact if we sail in a suite on RCCL, use the suite lounge, and have our 5 D+ drink coupons each, there is absolutely no need for us to buy an expensive beverage package.  If we sail in a suite on Celebrity, the premium drink package is included, but it makes a suite much more expensive.  The Elite happy hour is useless to us if we sail in a suite on Celebrity.

After my not-great Anthem experience this past February I think I am done with RCCL. And I don’t sail in suite. But since I prefer eating on the earlier side and am too much of an introvert to remotely enjoy forced socialization times, I guess this will end up being one of those benefits that goes unused if I continue on X. 😞 Not that they’ll mind either if I quit sailing on them or if I skip the happy hour - someone more likely to gamble and spend money shopping would likely take my place and they’d save money on the drinks they don’t have to provide.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

But since I prefer eating on the earlier side and am too much of an introvert to remotely enjoy forced socialization times, I guess this will end up being one of those benefits that goes unused if I continue on X.

I keep seeing comments like this and am wondering - if the dining venue's open at 1730 - 1745, that gives half an hour before and potentially half an hour after dinner to stop at a bar and get a drink.  

When they were having it only in the Sky View Lounge, I would go and have a glass or two while my DW was finishing getting ready, get one for me and one for her to go, and take them to dinner with us.  Convient, not really, doable - absolutely.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I keep seeing comments like this and am wondering - if the dining venue's open at 1730 - 1745, that gives half an hour before and potentially half an hour after dinner to stop at a bar and get a drink.  

When they were having it only in the Sky View Lounge, I would go and have a glass or two while my DW was finishing getting ready, get one for me and one for her to go, and take them to dinner with us.  Convient, not really, doable - absolutely.  

So that's 1-3 drinks per person for you. As opposed to the 5 you could have throughout the day on Royal.

44 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

So that's 1-3 drinks per person for you. As opposed to the 5 you could have throughout the day on Royal.

he sails in a suite so he will have a package to have unlimited drinks 

On 7/18/2024 at 7:02 AM, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

Thank you. We like the socialization aspect and the differentiation between Royal.and X. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agreed! When sailing in a suite, the Elite happy hour (and the wifi discount and the beverage package upgrade) are meaningless. When not in a suite, it's as if they want to force you to buy a beverage package by making the use of the benefit inconvenient.  

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

he sails in a suite so he will have a package to have unlimited drinks 

But we have not always sailed in sutes.  When we do not sail in suites, I normally get ready for dinner around 5 pm.  I go up to the Sky View Lounge and have a couple of drinks and then get drinks for my wife and I to take to dinner, she will do one glass of wine at most usually.  We normally showed up around 6:30 pm for dinner and had no issue finishing in time for the evening show, if we chose to attend.  So I guess 3 three drinks is about right.  

However to me it was more about the atmosphere as well as being able to have a single place to socialize with like minded people, loyal Celebrity cruisers. 

4 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

Thank you. We like the socialization aspect and the differentiation between Royal.and X. 

Well said. I agree 100%. 

15 minutes ago, MEMcruiser said:

When not in a suite, it's as if they want to force you to buy a beverage package by making the use of the benefit inconvenient. 

I believe it is only "incovenient" if you want it to be.  We found, when not in a suite, we could get an hour to an hour of half of socializing in prior to going to dinner.  It was simply a matter of what was important to us.  We adoped to the way Celebrity runs their operations versus asking them to adopt to our preferences.  I felt it more of a compromise on our part. 

We usually do TAs so the Sky Lounge is usually busy 

our group of friends usually just hang out at the Sunset Bar during HH , this started in the old days with coupons , there could up to 20 people hanging out there 

We would have our drinks until 7 than change out of “Shorts” than go for dinner 

We all miss the old days when they sushi in the OVC, 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We all miss the old days when they sushi in the OVC.

Loved the Sushi and a cocktail (or two) in the OVC before dinner!!

That was on Summit for us back in the 2000 - 2006 time frame.

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

But we have not always sailed in sutes.  When we do not sail in suites, I normally get ready for dinner around 5 pm.  I go up to the Sky View Lounge and have a couple of drinks and then get drinks for my wife and I to take to dinner, she will do one glass of wine at most usually.  We normally showed up around 6:30 pm for dinner and had no issue finishing in time for the evening show, if we chose to attend.  So I guess 3 three drinks is about right.  

However to me it was more about the atmosphere as well as being able to have a single place to socialize with like minded people, loyal Celebrity cruisers. 

Well said. I agree 100%. 

I believe it is only "incovenient" if you want it to be.  We found, when not in a suite, we could get an hour to an hour of half of socializing in prior to going to dinner.  It was simply a matter of what was important to us.  We adoped to the way Celebrity runs their operations versus asking them to adopt to our preferences.  I felt it more of a compromise on our part. 

Celebrity could extend Happy Hour by starting at 4 PM and ending at 7 PM.  That accommodates some of the early dinner crowd and socializing.  We have found that it is easy to socialize before dinner - no matter the time- at the Martini Bar. 

• Like 2

If you want the socialization part of the benefit, then keep the 2 hour time frame but give $10 per drink over whatever package you have (rather than a limited menu).  That way if someone without a package can get drinks of their choice up to $10 or $10 toward the drink of their choice.  Someone with classic could get $21 drinks of their choice and someone with premium could get up to $27.  As it is if you have classic or premium there is no point to the benefit.  As a non alcoholic beverage drinker, if I didn't have the package I would appreciate being able to get a virgin daiquiri.   

I would rather have it spread out through the day but would be happy just being able to use the benefit for 1-2 drinks of my choice during limited hours it that is what it is.  

When I have traveled solo and used the Elite (Plus) drinks benefit, no one forced me to socialize. I sat at a bar, got drinks, and either read a book or enjoyed the scenery. 🤷🏻 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bikerunner said:

I would be against the drink coupons method.  If they did that celebrity would eliminate the captains club breakfast and getting mimosas bloody Mary’s etc. 

Doubt it.  The two things are unrelated IMO.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, bikerunner said:

I would be against the drink coupons method.  If they did that celebrity would eliminate the captains club breakfast and getting mimosas bloody Mary’s etc. 

That would be fine for me 😁
since it would probably be my third breakfast 🤣

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

On 7/21/2024 at 8:40 AM, TeeRick said:

Doubt it.  The two things are unrelated IMO.

I don't see them as unrelated, If went to drink coupons/tickets then people would need to use those for the bloody marys etc during breakfast.  Since people would have drink tickets..  The free drinks cappuccinos would be removed from the captains club breakfast overall.   Why would the cruise line offer free drinks in morning and then also give coupons for an additional free drinks.  

5 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

I don't see them as unrelated, If went to drink coupons/tickets then people would need to use those for the bloody marys etc during breakfast.  Since people would have drink tickets..  The free drinks cappuccinos would be removed from the captains club breakfast overall.   Why would the cruise line offer free drinks in morning and then also give coupons for an additional free drinks.  

Speculating of course here on a hypothetical.  But why do you think we would need to use coupons at the Elite Breakfast for Cappuccinos? Not sure about the alcohol drinks since I have never ordered one at the Elite Breakfast.  Are Bloody Mary's currently included?  Or need to be purchased?

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Speculating of course here on a hypothetical.  But why do you think we would need to use coupons at the Elite Breakfast for Cappuccinos? Not sure about the alcohol drinks since I have never ordered one at the Elite Breakfast.  Are Bloody Mary's currently included?  Or need to be purchased?

They are included at Elite breakfast 

But why would want one in the morning 🤔