coffee maker/ tea maker/ pods available

lovetosew

I do not have any experience with mini coffee makers that use pods. Can someone tell me what type of coffee maker is in the room. There seem to be so many options available and it would be nice to know what type of coffee maker I will be faced with in my PV on the Sky.

19 minutes ago, lovetosew said:

I do not have any experience with mini coffee makers that use pods. Can someone tell me what type of coffee maker is in the room. There seem to be so many options available and it would be nice to know what type of coffee maker I will be faced with in my PV on the Sky.

There are quite a number of threads discussing this over the past year or so.  Do a search on "nespresso" on the Viking Ocean forum and you will find a lot of more detailed info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=nespresso&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=689

Yes it is a Nespresso Maker with original pods.

Here is one that I replied to:

It is a Nespresso using the original pods.  Do a search on forums and there are many answers about these machines, including some valuable pictures.

We bring Nespresso original pods from home as we like strong regular coffee.  The ship pods have gotten a bit better.  They used to be 4's and now are 6's.  The decafs are good at 10.  

• Like 1

Note that coffee on board the ship is free 24/7 -- brewed, espresso, latte, cappuccino. Alcohol in your coffee is an added charge however.  If you don't want to mess with the machine in you cabin, room service delivers and there us no charge for room service.

Where's the coffee: most of the bars have an espresso machine (Living Room bar, deck 1 dispenses the most coffee). World Cafe has self-serve machines available 24/7. 

Prefer your creamer fresh? Ask your steward for a pitcher of milk/half-and-half/soy milk for the mini-bar. 

• Thanks 2

Although we have an occasional coffee from a bar and in the dining room after dinner we are not great coffee drinkers and dont use the machine in the room.  On our last Viking cruise without any request our steward offered us an in room kettle to make tea :classic_smile:.  He assumed, correctly, that as we are Brits we would want that.  The kettle arrived quicky and was well used. 

• Like 2

Joy, a kettle for a cup of tea.  I will bring my favorite brew and ask for a kettle. The nespresso machine I can figure out and will bring some stronger pods at your suggestion.  Years ago my late husband and I stayed at a place in London that had a mini kettle.  It was the cutest thing; like a kettle that forgot to grow up!

Sorry to be dense, our first Viking cruise so I don't know the set up of the cabin -does that mean it's possible to have both kettle and Nespresso?

Thank you for replying. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HelenJD said:

Sorry to be dense, our first Viking cruise so I don't know the set up of the cabin -does that mean it's possible to have both kettle and Nespresso?

Thank you for replying. 

Yes, and there is also a tray next to the coffee machine that has cups, etc. that can be moved to the desk or coffee table.

Here is a link to a blog that has some excellent photos of the staterooms. It has a picture of the coffee machine area.

https://viking-cruises-cabin-guide.blogspot.com/p/standard-cabins.html?m=0

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Yes, and there is also a tray next to the coffee machine that has cups, etc. that can be moved to the desk or coffee table.

Here is a link to a blog that has some excellent photos of the staterooms. It has a picture of the coffee machine area.

https://viking-cruises-cabin-guide.blogspot.com/p/standard-cabins.html?m=0

The photo of the coffee maker shelf looks smaller then i recall.  We always order a tea kettle.  We fit the kettle, coffee maker and tray on the shelf.  In a DV, we have so much stuff to put on the desk (our own binoculars, cameras, 2 water carafs) there is no room for a kettle or tray.  Same with the coffee table - half of that is taken up by the Viking papers, folder, books.  Now in a PV there is a ton of counter space.

Never used the coffeemaker. Ships aren’t big. Just went to nearest coffee station.  We were in a suite that was near the cafe. It was very convenient. Loved the variety of teas.

42 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Never used the coffeemaker. Ships aren’t big. Just went to nearest coffee station.  We were in a suite that was near the cafe. It was very convenient. Loved the variety of teas.

Me, neither. In fact, we ask the steward to remove it so I can have a storage shelf that I can actually reach. 

One of the other reasons we don't use the machine in the room is that having free espresso made in a real espresso machine is a treat for me. I stop by the Living Room bar before heading up to the World Cafe for breakfast because even the machines in the buffet won't do.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 1:33 AM, Planning to cruise said:

Although we have an occasional coffee from a bar and in the dining room after dinner we are not great coffee drinkers and dont use the machine in the room.  On our last Viking cruise without any request our steward offered us an in room kettle to make tea :classic_smile:.  He assumed, correctly, that as we are Brits we would want that.  The kettle arrived quicky and was well used. 

Anyone know what kind of tea they provide? 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, LabLover63 said:

Anyone know what kind of tea they provide? 

Here is a thread 

There is also a menu for afternoon tea in the Wintergarden that people have posted but I can’t seem to locate it.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

Hi from Viking Venus. 

Every flavour tea bags are available at self service points.  The brand is Dilmah.  

Our steward provided the kettle on request.  Although not asked for, he has also removed the coffee maker when we said we wouldnt be using it.  He puts a jug of milk in the fridge daily.  He also asked us which type of tea we wanted and a regular supply of English breakfast appears.  

:classic_smile:

• Like 2