Excursion Sale Wasn't A Real Sale

Posted (edited)

When is a sale not really a sale?

Earlier this year I booked a 2 week cruise on the Enchanted Princess 10 - 24 Aug 2024. It departs Port Everglades and ends in Brooklyn NY. I looked at the "NYC tour with drop off at the airport" excursion. It was $159.95 and they offered it for all 3 NYC airports. On 3 Jul 24 I received an email from Princess on a "4th of July Excursion Sale". Up To 20% Off excursions!!! Sale ends 7 July 2024. My excursion was now $189.95 discounted to $159.95. Today 8 July 24 the excursion isn't on sale anymore and is again priced at $159.95. 

Just sayin': You have to watch Princess Cruise Line's (supposedly) sales.

Edited by ScriptOhio
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Off topic but ……. O H !

They always play games with the prices. I’ve found that you’re better booking sooner rather than later. I booked mine early this year for a cruise next week and the prices (if available) are up 20-30% on some of them. 

Same with cruise sales. Second at “75% off”  and by the time you book with the one person at “full fare” you’re probably at the same place as before the “sale”. The high end lines are all like this - never received a pamphlet from them that isn’t 50% off. Still 500+% more than the Princess / Celebrity type lines. 

I had a different experience on a Panama Canal cruise next year. I logged on and saw a promo for a Panama Canal excursion sale. Several of the excursions I had booked were the full sale discount under the price I had originally paid. I happily cancelled and rebooked.

The recent BOGO50% off was another "sale" that wasn't a sale. 

Price of an excursion I was looking at was $65.  Then, just before the "sale" was announced, the price went up to $94.95.  Then the BOGO50% off came out and the price (discount applied) was $94.95 each.  Now the price (sale over) is still at $94.95. 

It makes me mad and has just put me off Princess excursions.

Best idea is to book princess excursions early and cancel if you can't find a private excursion (less people and cheaper). 

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I had a different experience on a Panama Canal cruise next year. I logged on and saw a promo for a Panama Canal excursion sale. Several of the excursions I had booked were the full sale discount under the price I had originally paid. I happily cancelled and rebooked.

Yeah, FWIW, I was booked on back to back (i.e. Singapore to Dubai to Barcelona) Celebrity cruises back in 2020. The price came down on the excursions; I cancelled and rebooked. Overall it was quite a savings to, one excursion was a 3 night trip the the Taj Mahal. Then it was all for naught, the cruises were cancelled due to COVID.

So, I found it a mixed bag overall, but the reality was for our Mexican cruise, we saved about $90pp by rebooking an excursion.  Another was cheaper, by $10pp, but as it was limited availability, I was not going to risk rebooking and some waitlister grabbing our spots.   And at least for us, we didn't find the alternatives by shoreexcursions to be any better - so overall this sale was positive.

now we are just waiting to see if our very expensive tours in Greenland next year will go on sale.    Would be great, but we ended up booking as others were already snapping them up like chocolate.  In one port, the recommended excursion is to go out and see the glaciers by rib or small vessel and they were all gone between the time we decided to book and we could sign up.   So, I imagine there won't be any discounts -- the demand far outstrips the supply.   Interesting bit was the scheduling -- eg.   all the tours happen at same time, first thing in the morning, and then are over in a few hours.  Anyways, I am personally looking forward to it!   

Tom 

Posted (edited)

I booked an Excursion yesterday before the 'sale' ended for $94.95.

Looking today, the excursion lists the price from $94.95, but when you go to the details and try to add it, the price is $114.95 for Adults, $99.95 for Children. So, no idea where the from $94.95 price is coming from. 

This is the same for any excursions, the initial price listed is not what the actual price is when you go to the excursion details.

Edited by clarky213

18 hours ago, clarky213 said:

I booked an Excursion yesterday before the 'sale' ended for $94.95.

Looking today, the excursion lists the price from $94.95, but when you go to the details and try to add it, the price is $114.95 for Adults, $99.95 for Children. So, no idea where the from $94.95 price is coming from. 

This is the same for any excursions, the initial price listed is not what the actual price is when you go to the excursion details.

I was worried about the same thing, so we checked my wife's CC statement to double-confirm before pulling the trigger.   but others have said their mileage was different... so as always caveat emptor.

On 7/8/2024 at 2:51 PM, ScriptOhio said:

Earlier this year I booked a 2 week cruise on the Enchanted Princess 10 - 24 Aug 2024. It departs Port Everglades and ends in Brooklyn NY. I looked at the "NYC tour with drop off at the airport" excursion. It was $159.95 and they offered it for all 3 NYC airports. On 3 Jul 24 I received an email from Princess on a "4th of July Excursion Sale". Up To 20% Off excursions!!! Sale ends 7 July 2024. My excursion was now $189.95 discounted to $159.95. Today 8 July 24 the excursion isn't on sale anymore and is again priced at $159.95. 

It isn't, but it is kind of funny that they do this.  Apparently people see the word "sale" and all reason goes out the door.  

• Like 1

I have a 3 day cruise Vancouver to San Francisco on the Ruby.  Princess post cruise excursion is $75.

I stay on the Ruby to have a 16 day cruise San Francisco to San Francisco.  The same post cruise excursion is now $139.

The description of the 2 post cruise excursion is the same.

Why a higher price16 days later for the same excursion???

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

Not other years?  😢   😢  😢 

I see you have quite the following as a group though!

Just sayin': There are Buckeye fans all over the world and on most cruises too. Most wear Ohio State hats or t-shirts. My wife and myself usually wear Ohio State slippers on our cruises:

Ohio State University Slippers

The universal Buckeye recognition is "OH" and you say "IO". 

Sometimes it's "Go Bucks"...."Beat Michigan" though.

OHI05V2.main_160x160.avif

Edited by ScriptOhio

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

It isn't, but it is kind of funny that they do this.  Apparently people see the word "sale" and all reason goes out the door.  

The sale I get the biggest laugh at is the "reduced deposit sale". It doesn't reduce your overall price for the cruise at all.

🤣

• Like 1

When reading fine print it states that not all excursions would be discounted. 

we did book several excursions for our trip next year and each one was discounted. 

again, fine print stated that not all

would be. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 5:51 PM, ScriptOhio said:

FWIW, apparently the shore excursion might really be on sale now. It is now listed as $134.95 per person. I booked it. I paid for 1 with my Carnival shareholder benefit shipboard credit and the other with AARP's Princess gift card (which saved 8% more).....😁