New anthology menu and wine options

glawless

Has anyone tried the new Anthology menu?  How was the food and overall experience?  Can you get wine by the glass from the ship wide standard included wines list or do you need to pay for the wine pairing?   Thank you 

• Thanks 2

Anthology is still there but the dining concept has changed according to the article, no longer guest Michelin restaurants but a menu celebrating Italy

This is yet another adjustment in the concepts first year.  They are trying things, considering if they should be part of the long-term picture.  Some items were a good idea at the time like really great champagne, which is now gone.  Cost cutting issue for sure.  Anthology has changed its approach.  Lots of reason that could be including cost prohibitive, cost cutting, and the list goes on.  What they are doing is similar to what Oceania does and has done for a while. 

My main point is they are evaluating in real time.  This is why my cruise is in February 2025.  I am hoping as their second ship comes out, they settle in on a consistent approach. Those are my thought only.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, seaquay said:

Anthology is still there but the dining concept has changed according to the article, no longer guest Michelin restaurants but a menu celebrating Italy

What is the cost now?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Menu and price for the tasting menu and wine paring are in the article the link cruisingexpert posted takes you to

Edited by seaquay
  • Like 1

Cheaping the product, not what they originally promised especially to Champagne when we booked. No compensation between price of what was promised vs what was delivered. Overall experience was mostly good but no way I would book another until they decide exactly what they want to be.  And dump the 4 expensive watch shops.  Really stupid IMO.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Cheaping the product, not what they originally promised especially to Champagne when we booked. No compensation between price of what was promised vs what was delivered. Overall experience was mostly good but no way I would book another until they decide exactly what they want to be.  And dump the 4 expensive watch shops.  Really stupid IMO.  

@2SailingNomads I have no real skin in the game here but a little story that might help understand this transition a bit better.  A huge client of mine, produced a weeklong training event that I was one of the presenters.  They initially pulled out all the stops. They wanted it to be first class from start to finish.  They had China plated breakfast and lunch.  At the end of the week a banquet for all the participants at a great restaurant with an open bar. Some of the participants started to order high-end wines and Champagnes three bottles at a time. 

This was the case for several months until they looked at the costs compared to the entry fee for the event.  Over the next few months, the China plated meals became plastic plates and the food items were selected more carefully.  The fancy restaurant limited the menu and only the host cold order wine.  This class, which I flew to LA every week to do for 6 years, was a great success.  Those adjustments at the beginning were long forgotten at the end of the first 12 months. 

When I researched Explora Journey's, the feeling I got was of that client experience decades ago.  I personally loved all the luxury features and thought it made the entire event really more special then it could be.  As these items were gone, what was left was a GREAT Training Program.  Which was the reason for the event to begin with.  Explora is a bit more expense then some cruises and far less expensive then others.  Their issue seems to be what most of the other brands issue has always been.  A Marketing Department that Over Promises and Under Delivers. The comments in this thread including mine, show how we all react to promise not kept.  Maybe the right people will learn from how this makes us feel, but the reality is, in short order, we will forget about the items that change.  Just my experience, not saying it will be everyone.

• Like 2

I feel like we have gotten a bit off topic here.  Has anyone actually tried the new anthology menu?  How was the food and experience?  Can you get wine by the glass from the ship wife included list or do you have to purchase the wine pairing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We got off in ATH last Friday, and we did try Anthology... we were very disappointed! The cost was 140 Euro pp. Italian menu.. well, you could have fooled me! It had very little resemblance to Italian in my opinion. The service was FANTASTIC, there were only 3 tables occupied the whole evening!  The wine pairing we asked about and the sommelier basically said don't do it! He then said, no wines by the glass, which we knew.. so purchased a good Rioja! The best taste of the meal was the pasta, which was 1 ravioli, the "main" course of beef was completely uninspired and boring! Grilled fillet, nice sauce, zero creativity. desert, was basically a rework of Fil Rouge's millefeuille, again no creativity, pastry and creme! For Anthology to work, it has to be AMAZING! basically because all of the other dining options are great! Fil Rouge and Yacht Club in my opinion had far better dishes! we had a cochinillo in YC and it was superb, we could have been in Segovia! Was Anthology a nice experiecne .. yes! would I go back, no. Food was fine, but to me it needs to be much more than fine! On the wine front, one of the other tables complained regarding having to purchase and was served by the glass.. I was happy we had a great Rioja, but I feel making you pay, is pushing it! Of course, my opinion! here are some pics...  

Anth 1.jpeg

Anth 2.jpeg

Anth 3.jpeg

Anth 4.jpeg

Anth 5.jpeg

Anth 6.jpeg

Anth 7.jpeg

Anth 9.jpeg

Anth 10.jpeg

Anth 11.jpeg

Anth 12.jpeg

Anth 13.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you for posting the menu and great pictures.  I thought the Millefoglie picture was a piece of Bacon lol.  The tomato coulis seems to take over the red shrimp dish.  I was looking forward to this dinner as I enjoyed the Claude Le Tohic one but now I'm not so sure I want to do it.  I thought the sample Italian menu that I saw when they introduced it, had Wagu beef- not whatever that was on your menu.

Is anyone from EJ management reading these posts?  Maybe ask people (not influences or TA's) what they like and hate?  Seems like management can't get over themselves.  Survey (hmm never got one) paying past guests.  For !40 E per person on top of what the per diem is I'd expect a great meal, not a disappointment as PaulMcn experienced.

And look for a repurposed Anthology due to the fact that it did not make the money it thought it would.  I give it six months LOL.  I am deciding if DH and I should try Explora but still reading.  Our friends are going in November and we have cruised together before so we are letting them be the guinea pigs to try it and report back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisr said:

And look for a repurposed Anthology due to the fact that it did not make the money it thought it would.  I give it six months LOL.  I am deciding if DH and I should try Explora but still reading.  Our friends are going in November and we have cruised together before so we are letting them be the guinea pigs to try it and report back.

@cruisr The Anthology to me is similar to on Oceania Cruise the "Le Reserve".  It is designed to be a unique dinning experience. Some folks love the concept other don't give it a second thought.  I personally don't care for it.  If I want a dining experience like this, I do it in a land based restaurant. Very similar to when I want to have a massage from a spa, I do it on land. I find the quality and value better when not on a cruise ship even a luxury cruise brand.  Others my have a different opinion and that is their right.

On Oceania, these events in the Le Reserve only happen when they have a minimum number of guest attending.  Often they are cancelled.  Great idea, not for everyone but for those that like it, they again seem to love it.  

I replied to your post because over the years I have rolled the dice on some cruises.  What I have found out is when a line starts new, like Explora Journey has done, it looks differently one year, 18 months and two years out.  Even if they are owned by MSC.  I call it getting their sea legs.  When they get their sea legs, it seems the investments always goes up.  I guess I also will be a guinea pig for my cruise in February of 2025.  My only rule is "Realistic Expectations".  I believe paying guest not influencers, I rarely believe marketing departments and most travel agent have limited knowledge based on how new the brand is.  So a bit of a calculated dice toss.  I am ok with that. Consider going with your friends.  Friends make the trip. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the response Paulmcn!  Your comments and opinion are much appreciated!

It seems most in here just want to one up each other, tell each other that they are wrong, or ***** about perceived downgrades when they haven't even tried the restaurant or in some cases the cruise line.   "I feel sorry for the guinea pigs". What does that even mean?  

I'd still like to hear other opinions from those who have tried the restaurant.  All honest opinions are much valued. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 2

I'd probably pass on this but I might give it a go!

We've done "Chef's Table" on Carnival, NCL, and Royal several times.  I've really enjoyed it! Always a few things I really like and always a thing or two I'm not crazy about.  Perhaps this would be a space to try something like that.  The interaction with 10-16 or so fellow passengers is as much fun and the food is good! Always a good time and you get to meet some good people too.  Wine pairing always helps! 

There's always going to be a few turn up their noses no matter what is done...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chill6x6 said:

The interaction with 10-16 or so fellow passengers is as much fun and the food is good! Always a good time and you get to meet some good people too.  Wine pairing always helps! 

I've done what you're referring to on other cruise lines where it is with other people (and agree it can be a really good time).  Anthology could be set up that way and may be a better "concept" than just high-end Italian. Explora's "Chef's Kitchen" where it is both a cooking class and a shared meal might be competition, but maybe not.  Interested to see how it evolves.

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 2

full disclosure, i haven’t been on explora but am curious about this menu. 

from the pictures and menu, the new Anthology reads like a Michelin inspired Italian fine dining concept. Let’s call it fussy Italian vs homestyle or even traditional Italian fine dining.  The soul of this menu for me is recognizable as Italian and I believe it will be to anyone who grew up in an Italian household. but it is definitely not a main stream execution and thus may not appeal to those looking for traditional Italian.  personally i would also enjoy an Italian restaurant that focused on grilled meats, fish, and veggies as well as Neapolitan pizza as served alfresco in the hills all over italy. simple food well executed. but that’s my personal preference these days. 

also with regards to the replacement of the wagyu beef with something else. my $0.02 is that I believe that they made the right call to sub non-wagyu beef in the beef dish. Proper wagyu has a very subtle flavor and thus should be served with light complementary seasoning to let the wagyu shine. the paired amarone wine sauce would completely hide the wagyu leaving you with its texture but none of its special flavor. alternatively they could’ve dropped the wine sauce and changed the strongly flavored sides to something mild like plain grilled polenta with a light crust for texture and then used a simple dusting of salt, white pepper, and a hint of smoke for the wagyu. this could also read as Michelin Italian when properly plated. 

again my $0.02

• Like 2