Cruise to Canada

Posted (edited)

yes. do expect to get back Canada change like a canadian quarter/dime back instead of a regular US quarter/dime

Edited by shof515

The exchange rate has always been terrible when using USD. Since we are spending a very limited amount of cash, we live with the loss. It seems I never bring the right credit card on Canadian cruises.

26 minutes ago, blue is the best said:

Can you use US currency in the ports in Canada.

Yes, but like others have said, you will get a terrible exchange rate and Canadian back as change.  We just buy a small amount of Canadian from our bank before we go so we have money for cabs or an ice cream cone. 😄  We were able to buy foreign currency through the Bank of America app with no fee.  We could choose what denominations we wanted and it was actually sent to us via Federal Express.  For any souvenir purchases, we use a credit card that doesn't charge an exchange fee.

50 minutes ago, blue is the best said:

Can you use US currency in the ports in Canada.

Yes. Unless you are buying an expensive item, the exchange rate is really irrelevant (for snacks and cheapy souvenirs). 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In Vancouver 2 weeks ago, my father in law wanted to pay in USD at a relatively high end lunch, was told that it would be at 1-1, and currently we are at about 0.73 CAD-USD. Which is practically stealing as a practice.

I put my foot down, paid with my no foreign transaction fee CC, and he handed me $280 in USD (it would have been $380 if we did the 1-1 and paid in USD), which was useful to lose at the roulette table. 

Edited by sie625

16 hours ago, sie625 said:

In Vancouver 2 weeks ago, my father in law wanted to pay in USD at a relatively high end lunch, was told that it would be at 1-1, and currently we are at about 0.73 CAD-USD. Which is practically stealing as a practice.

I put my foot down, paid with my no foreign transaction fee CC, and he handed me $280 in USD (it would have been $380 if we did the 1-1 and paid in USD), which was useful to lose at the roulette table. 

There is no obligation for any business to offer any exchange on US cash.  I get what you are saying, but especially today when the vast majority of people pay with cards, there is a lot of admin work to deposit US cash for a business.  Running exchange rates through the restaurant books is not something that anyone wants to do.

• Like 10

On 7/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, sie625 said:

Since US currency is not legal tender in Canada, it is hardly stealing. By accepting foreign currency the business is doing your FIL a favour. If your FIL didn't take the time to exchange US for Canadian, the business is under no obligation to even offer you 1:1.

By accepting US currency, which I believe is still old paper notes that are more easily forged, the business is incurring a higher risk. They also require more work to deposit foreign currency and complete the accounting process.

Additional risk and extra work require extra fees, so requesting 1:1 is not unreasonable, when your FIL could have used a credit card or taken the time to exchange currencies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 7/12/2024 at 2:06 PM, sie625 said:

Sounds fair to me.......They're a restaurant, not a foreign exchange outlet.  I think you were lucky they were willing to accept it at all, as many places won't (for a variety of reasons, including counterfeit potential).  

• Like 3

A few years ago I tried to by some hot dogs at an airport in the US with Canadian currency and they absolutely refused to accept it.   At that time our Canadian $ was worth more than the US $.   A nearby customer was kind enough to exchange it for me so we could eat something.

10 hours ago, mexico8 said:

A few years ago I tried to by some hot dogs at an airport in the US with Canadian currency and they absolutely refused to accept it.   At that time our Canadian $ was worth more than the US $.   A nearby customer was kind enough to exchange it for me so we could eat something.

In the past I have had a single Canadian penny pulled out of a combination of US coins offered to a merchant, and the Canadian penny was passed back to me with a frown of distrust that I was trying to get away with something....

We cannot assume anywhere in the world that "our" currency is legal tender.  It may be accepted and it may not be. Nothing to be angry or upset about.  This is why we travel with credit cards and if the merchant does not accept cards, then we don't buy.

• Like 4