Pricing Not Available For Some 2025 Alaska Cabins

Just wondering if this scenario is normal for HAL:  I was researching Alaska balcony cabins for an August 14-day cruise and found that there was pricing for inside cabins but not for any balcony cabins --- seems odd.  I went over to Princess and found the same scenario for about 3 of their ships.  Is this trend normal --- are balcony cabins being withheld for a particular reason? 

I haven't sailed with HAL for many years so I am not up to speed on trends.  Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Just wondering if this scenario is normal for HAL:  I was researching Alaska balcony cabins for an August 14-day cruise and found that there was pricing for inside cabins but not for any balcony cabins --- seems odd.  I went over to Princess and found the same scenario for about 3 of their ships.  Is this trend normal --- are balcony cabins being withheld for a particular reason? 

I haven't sailed with HAL for many years so I am not up to speed on trends.  Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Your right, I just went to a major online booking company and same thing happened to me.

Just now, atexsix said:

Your right, I just went to a major online booking company and same thing happened to me.

Thanks for your post.  I also checked another TA and found the same thing -- seems rather odd to me that there is no info on balcony cabins.  I was wondering if the cruise lines were trying to fill the lesser priced cabins first then post the higher priced cabins so it would be more beneficial to them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks for your post.  I also checked another TA and found the same thing -- seems rather odd to me that there is no info on balcony cabins.  I was wondering if the cruise lines were trying to fill the lesser priced cabins first then post the higher priced cabins so it would be more beneficial to them. 

I searched under double and single occupancy and still ran into it.  If they are playing games I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I searched under double and single occupancy and still ran into it.  If they are playing games I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. 

Did you check with triple or quad occupancy? Perhaps they are holding out for maximum passenger numbers and the doubles are all filled...

• Like 1

Does the 14 day Alaska actually consist of 2 7 day cruises? If so they seem to hold back balconies and higher to sell as part of cruise tours with each 7 day. Additionally, it could be that the same cabins are not available on both segments to match up. If you look at each leg individually you’ll see balconies and higher available.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Does the 14 day Alaska actually consist of 2 7 day cruises? If so they seem to hold back balconies and higher to sell as part of cruise tours with each 7 day. Additionally, it could be that the same cabins are not available on both segments to match up. If you look at each leg individually you’ll see balconies and higher available.

Not this one. It's a true 14 day cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

If we're talking August 2024, maybe the balconies are sold out?

I am interested in the August 2025 itineraries.

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, the itinerary that I am interested is a true 14-day cruise.  I am not interested in two 7-day cruises.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not this one. It's a true 14 day cruise. 

I see a 14 day Great Alaska Explorer in September, but the August ones I’m seeing are all “collectors” voyages consisting of a northbound and southbound leg with turn around in Whittier. I’m doing one of these myself this August, but had to book the 2 legs separately and will likely have to change cabins (guarantee).

Thanks all for your responses, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I guess I will just keep checking back from time-to-time to see if anything shows up. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

This is the kind of thing a good travel agent can help with.

Mine was a last minute thing, but my PCC has linked the 2 legs at least. I agree a good travel agent or even a PCC should be able to handle this for OP.

Where are you off to next, @WriterOnDeck?

Edited by sunviking90

10 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks all for your responses, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I guess I will just keep checking back from time-to-time to see if anything shows up. 

I just went out to the two online sites I use and saw prices for each category on the 14 day Zaandam, Noordam and Nieuw Amersterdam for cruises to Alaska in 2025.    

10 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I see a 14 day Great Alaska Explorer in September, but the August ones I’m seeing are all “collectors” voyages consisting of a northbound and southbound leg with turn around in Whittier. I’m doing one of these myself this August, but had to book the 2 legs separately and will likely have to change cabins (guarantee).

I was thinking of the 14 day routes Noordam has been sailing. My error.

• Like 1

@Italy52

What is the ship you are looking at? Also, the sailing date ideally. There are Alaska cruises going out of Seattle and Vancouver. Narrowing the search might allow us to be more helpful.

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

Mine was a last minute thing, but my PCC has linked the 2 legs at least. I agree a good travel agent or even a PCC should be able to handle this for OP.

Where are you off to next, @WriterOnDeck?

Majestic Japan -- a 53-day Legendary cruise RT from Seattle, starting Sept. 1. I hardly know what to do with 7 weeks on land! (see doctors, dentist, hairdresser, etc.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Majestic Japan -- a 53-day Legendary cruise RT from Seattle, starting Sept. 1. I hardly know what to do with 7 weeks on land! (see doctors, dentist, hairdresser, etc.)

Great! We were in Japan for the first time in the spring and LOVED it. I’ll be following your blog for sure!

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

@Italy52

What is the ship you are looking at? Also, the sailing date ideally. There are Alaska cruises going out of Seattle and Vancouver. Narrowing the search might allow us to be more helpful.

I am at looking at the Nordam and the Nieuw Amsterdam 14-day Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska  itinerary for August 2025.  We are not fans of the Seattle itineraries so we usually opt for the 14-day cruises.  I am also exploring my options with Princess.  So for now, I am just researching:  costs, perks, itinerary, refundable vs non-refundable deposit, etc.

Thanks for your post.

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I just went out to the two online sites I use and saw prices for each category on the 14 day Zaandam, Noordam and Nieuw Amersterdam for cruises to Alaska in 2025.    

Balcony prices???????????

2 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

This is the kind of thing a good travel agent can help with.

Aware.  However, I always like to do my research upfront before I consult my TA.  The company I deal with is fantastic but sometimes, the slight thing can be missed and I want to make sure I have all my information before I call an agent.

I know that all the cruise lines have

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I am at looking at the Nordam and the Nieuw Amsterdam 14-day Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska  itinerary for August 2025.  We are not fans of the Seattle itineraries so we usually opt for the 14-day cruises.  I am also exploring my options with Princess.  So for now, I am just researching:  costs, perks, itinerary, refundable vs non-refundable deposit, etc.

Thanks for your post.

Those are both Collectors Cruises which are made up of 2 seven day sailings. The sailings are used to take people to and from the Alaska land tours. The northbound ones take people to the cruise first tours. The southbound sailings service the land first tours.

You can find verandah rooms on each of the 7 day legs, but not on the 14. day. Try it. I was able to get pricing for the two component legs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I know that all the cruise lines have

Those are both Collectors Cruises which are made up of 2 seven day sailings. The sailings are used to take people to and from the Alaska land tours. The northbound ones take people to the cruise first tours. The southbound sailings service the land first tours.

You can find verandah rooms on each of the 7 day legs, but not on the 14. day. Try it. I was able to get pricing for the two component legs.

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.  My fact-finding search was based on HAL vs Princess.  I did breakdown the pricing for HAL (2-7 day) and Princess (1-14 day) cruise and Princess came out the winner. I then looked at the itineraries and it appears that Princess came out the winner.  Finally, I looked at the perks for both HAL and Princess and Princess came out the winner.  So it appears that we will be going with Princess.  Although Princess seems to be the winner this round, I am not shutting the door to any future cruises with HAL should something strike our fancy. 

Many thanks again to all who took the time to help me navigate through my decision making process.  Have a good weekend to all.

• Like 2