What’s going on with MVJ?

SantaFe1

1 hour ago, 2blueyam said:

With a little patience, iOS will populate the code from your mail, just like it does for text messages. When I am on my Windows PC, well yes, I have to go open the mail application, but it can't get texts and typing in the code from a text on my phone would not be any easier.

Might be true if you use apple mail as your email, not for other emails (at least I haven't experienced it). But on all other apps, I immediately get the option of entering the texted code in one click.

24 minutes ago, formernuke said:

Might be true if you use apple mail as your email, not for other emails (at least I haven't experienced it). But on all other apps, I immediately get the option of entering the texted code in one click.

I just did it using a Gmail account. It pops up in the box between the screen and the keyboard as a suggestion, just like the texted codes do for other sites. You have to access the mail on the built in iOS "Mail" app. If you are using a third-party mail app or the web browser to read your mail, then I concur that will not work. It does require more patience. I have seen it take anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute before it populates, unlike the texts that pop up almost instantly. See this article:

You Can Now Autofill Email Verification Codes on iOS 17 - CNET

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2blueyam said:

I just did it using a Gmail account. It pops up in the box between the screen and the keyboard as a suggestion, just like the texted codes do for other sites. You have to access the mail on the built in iOS "Mail" app. If you are using a third-party mail app or the web browser to read your mail, then I concur that will not work. It does require more patience. I have seen it take anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute before it populates, unlike the texts that pop up almost instantly. See this article:

You Can Now Autofill Email Verification Codes on iOS 17 - CNET

Thanks! Very helpful.

When I first saw this thread, I wondered what was happening. I had no problem logging onto MVJ.  That was until today. The sign on for people who have an account is missing. It wants to register for new accounts. It took several attempts before I could get past the verification code. When I finally got in, there were lots of notifications from my previous cruise and future cruise.  It’s like Viking MVJ has gone crazy.  Viking needs Help!   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

When I first saw this thread, I wondered what was happening. I had no problem logging onto MVJ.  That was until today. The sign on for people who have an account is missing. It wants to register for new accounts. It took several attempts before I could get past the verification code. When I finally got in, there were lots of notifications from my previous cruise and future cruise.  It’s like Viking MVJ has gone crazy.  Viking needs Help!   

Just got email with my verification code.  It states that it is only good for 15 minutes. The time on email was sent an hour ago.  I check emails often. I used to say that Viking has excellent organization.  Rethinking it. Hope that it is just a little glitch.

• Like 2

For us too.  On all devices.  Although I made it a mandate 40 years ago that I would never do surveys,  I did Vi,ing’s today about the new experience because I was so p***ed off!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 7:17 PM, millybess said:

Yes, two-factor authentication, but very poor implementation unfortunately.  

Anyway, we're trying to find a work-around to make it more user-friendly.

We're used to two-factor authentication with banks, airlines, etc., but MVJ is requiring the email address, but still sending a verification code, which also has to be entered.  

Totally off topic - @millybess. You and messybill have the same dog picture just different angle.  Now how can that be?

The message I am receiving is that there are multiple users for this email. Customer service says my DH has a different address listed.

So I set up a MVJ under his email address on my tablet and it is working. Still cannot access under my email address.

Is anyone else getting this message?

Kimberkly

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Totally off topic - @millybess. You and messybill have the same dog picture just different angle.  Now how can that be?

The pictures are mirror images.  You can do this with any picture.  On a Mac, use preview to open the picture and choose tools / flip horizontal.   I don’t think this is possible using the editing facilities of the Photos app on an iPad, but there are plenty of apps available that will do this.

Edited by millybess
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

For us too.  On all devices.  Although I made it a mandate 40 years ago that I would never do surveys,  I did Vi,ing’s today about the new experience because I was so p***ed off!

Yes, it can be stressful, especially if you are close to booking excursions.  That event alone is usually stressful.  

2 hours ago, millybess said:

The pictures are mirror images.  You can do this with any picture.  On a Mac, use preview to open the picture and choose tools / flip horizontal.   I don’t think this is possible using the editing facilities of the Photos app on an iPad, but there are plenty of apps available that will do this.

On the iPhone/iPad select the photo, tap edit, then tap on the Crop icon. All the options are available in the Crop window.

24 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

Hmm...I couldn't sign in today, even with the code.

Perhaps this is due to the CrowdStrike outage?  This is wreaking havoc worldwide!

https://apnews.com/live/internet-global-outage-crowdstrike-microsoft-downtime

All is good here on our Apple devices.  The only glitch is that Viking keeps sending codes even though we are signing in with a password and not using the code.  

4 minutes ago, millybess said:

All is good here on our Apple devices.  The only glitch is that Viking keeps sending codes even though we are signing in with a password and not using the code.  

Yes, I’ve been having the same problem.  But at least I can get in now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, millybess said:

Strange...it isn't working on any of our devices, apple or otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farmecologist said:

Strange...it isn't working on any of our devices, apple or otherwise.

I wonder if the CrowdStrike issue has affected Viking? I cannot log in on any device currently.

laptop worked fine with old login; ipad I had to re log in with email and pass after a few chosen words to the cloud god; but I had to reload my chrome app on my iphone to make things work for me.  That is today.  Hopefully this works tomorrow.

I just tried MVJ and it doesn't work for me at all; I tried Safari on my Mac, then Chrome, but neither work.

I'm a software developer too, like some others on here; I've written dozens of web portals with logins similar to what Viking uses. I doubt this issue has anything to do with any particular operating system, but rather bad programing by whoever their web developer is. One common cause for an endless progress graphic is a simple syntax error; the page tries to load, the code is faulty, so the progress graphic (in this case a spinning wheel) never gets replaced with the proper page.

Rather than roll out a buggy login mechanism, the programmers should have tested more thoroughly; we've been on our BIE cruise so haven't been on MVJ, but now that we're back... nada.

Oh well; it's a good thing we're not waiting to book excursions or restaurants.

I tried to get on MVJ... entered email address, asked for code, got code, entered it, then blue screen with Viking ship and rotating wheel.  Can't get any further.  Very glad I'm not due for shore excursion bookings for a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, longterm said:

I just tried MVJ and it doesn't work for me at all; I tried Safari on my Mac, then Chrome, but neither work.

I'm a software developer too, like some others on here; I've written dozens of web portals with logins similar to what Viking uses. I doubt this issue has anything to do with any particular operating system, but rather bad programing by whoever their web developer is. 

Likewise, Bob.  First thing I thought was - boy, these days their programmers/developers don't test very well at all!  Can't even think of that happening in previous days (yes I know, in the good old days).  I think Viking IT is woeful, and I spent my career in IT.  I did see so many companies though that thought IT was an evil expense rather than an important part of the customer experience.  One would have thought those opinions had faded by now....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Likewise, Bob.  First thing I thought was - boy, these days their programmers/developers don't test very well at all!  Can't even think of that happening in previous days (yes I know, in the good old days).  I think Viking IT is woeful, and I spent my career in IT.  I did see so many companies though that thought IT was an evil expense rather than an important part of the customer experience.  One would have thought those opinions had faded by now....

Now they're saying that it was software used by Microsoft, which may be what Viking's web servers use. In addition to the web site itself, there's a database behind the website, and that may be running Windows, who knows. However, if that were the case, the site couldn't even verify email addresses.

Here's an interesting tidbit: the Viking cruise ship computers run on... yep, Microsoft Windows. We did a bridge tour a couple of weeks ago, and one of the servers had the ubiquitous Windows desktop photo on it, and I saw the Windows dock at the bottom as well. Hopefully the ship computers weren't updated with the same bad code...

Edited by longterm

2 hours ago, bccamper said:

I tried to get on MVJ... entered email address, asked for code, got code, entered it, then blue screen with Viking ship and rotating wheel.  Can't get any further.  Very glad I'm not due for shore excursion bookings for a couple of weeks.

That's how it was for us a couple of days ago.  Hopefully you will be able to log in without issues soon.