Is Mariner As Bad As Some Reviews Indicate?

10 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Jim Stoddard reported regularly on the "toilet issues" throughout the World Cruise and never once said there was any problem...

We are on Mariner in a month. I am not sure what this means - reported on "toilet issues" but never said there was a problem. Why even mention toilet issues in his reports if there was no problem?

44 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

We are on Mariner in a month. I am not sure what this means - reported on "toilet issues" but never said there was a problem. Why even mention toilet issues in his reports if there was no problem?

Because some people seem to over-state issues. Reading this forum makes me wonder if I actually spent almost 500 nights on Regent recently as my experiences were so utterly different.

• Like 2

Pccardad:  

Ditto.  Recently aboard Mariner while enroute to Hawaii and the South Pacific.  No issues, toilets or otherwise, during that long crossing segment.  

Most-recently: just-exited Splendor.  No issues, toilets or otherwise.

Anecdotal situation, for sure, as recently described, can impact one's cruise experience whether rudimentary when failing to successfully flush the toilet. Or, for heaven's sake, Regent's running out of one's favorite wine while enroute.  

As we (self and spouse) learned after 30 years' in the Military: "stuff happens" whether on land or sea.  Deal with it and put these bumps into perspective. 

Have a Mariner cruise planned for early 2026.  Hope to see some of you earlier in January at L.A. for another Grandeur cruise through the Canal to Miami.  

Stay safe. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

Great to have your news GOARMY!

The person on the WC only reported "no issues" in response to others asking.  He was on the Mariner for 6 months (long detour around Africa to avoid the Red Sea...). And then from time to time mentioned the lack of problems.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

He actually DID mention toilets in some of his reports during the World Cruise due to issues the ship had before the cruise.

Edited by papaflamingo

19 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

I think he did this because 2023 was the year of toilet issues on Mariner. They were mostly resolved by the time we boarded in October, although I did occasionally see plumbers at work in our hallway. Our toilet worked fine every flush. 

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

I think he did this because 2023 was the year of toilet issues on Mariner. They were mostly resolved by the time we boarded in October, although I did occasionally see plumbers at work in our hallway. Our toilet worked fine every flush. 

We had toilet issues on Mariner multiple sailings and before 2023.  We had an aft suite and our "powder room" toilet never worked right back in 2010.

We are first time cruisers on Regent (have sailed in Haven & Retreat on Prima & Beyond).  Our departure is after the 2025 Horizon refurbishment and we'll be in a deck 8 Horizon Suite (8104 - shower only, which is fine).  We think we will enjoy the aft view and the larger suite/deck as well as the overall Regent experience.   

Any experienced Mariner Horizon Suite guests in this forum that can offer experience and advice related to this category for us newbies?   TIA

20 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We had toilet issues on Mariner multiple sailings and before 2023.  We had an aft suite and our "powder room" toilet never worked right back in 2010.

Gives me something to look forward to in our Horizon View suite next September. 🤔

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently on Mariner. No real issues.  Ship seems well maintained. Everything works well in the cabin.  We are in a PH C on deck 8 (mid forward).

This is the first time on one of the older ships.  Layout is a little quirky from Explorer class, but it works.  Actually prefer the coffee connection layout and seating to the newer ships.  More comfortable and less sterile looking.

Decor is darker - presume they will change that.  Carpets in the stateroom are a little worn, but it is comfortable.  Air Con works great, and actually we can over A/C the room and have to keep the thermostat higher.

Food is good and service is Regent quality.

Happy to answer any questions.

• Thanks 2

We were on the Mariner in March and April 2024. This was a leg of the World Cruise. 180 of us joined in Singapore for a delightful 21 day cruise to Abu Dhabi. We were in 939 and had no toilet problems. We had a balcony door problem that was fixed promptly. The room was noticeably smaller than other ship's Concierge Ds. The old decor was fine, especially in the living area...there was no chair at the desk, but an ottoman that slid under the desk to be out of the way. Lovely! As mentioned before, the tub/shower combination is hard to deal with if the ship is rocking' and rollin'. I am sure during the remodel the rooms with that configuration will be fixed. We loved the outside spaces! The pool grill /pool bar layout is wonderful and very conducive to sitting in that area. We also enjoyed the outside sofas and chairs on Deck 12. The staff was our favorite. We always try to get to know individuals and they were receptive to our interest. They were friendly, helpful and fun!  The itinerary was exceptional, thus our choice of the Mariner. We would choose it again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, terriblehuman said:

I'm concerned. I easily block a land-based toilet. Are these water-filled or like an airline?

Are they American style or European?

they are water-filled.  you are not going to block it with natural matter unless you are eating golf balls.  It is vacuum powered.  

The issue is people flush prohibited items, which include facial tissues (kleenex), wipes (baby or otherwise), napkins, feminine hygiene products, trash, etc.

The only thing that should go in the bowl is what comes out of you and the toilet tissue (paper).

Yes, even the facial tissues (kleenex) where you blow your nose should be thrown in the trash bin, and NOT flushed.

Edited by Nachosdelux

9 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

they are water-filled.  you are not going to block it with natural matter unless you are eating golf balls.  It is vacuum powered.  

Sorry to say that’s not entirely true. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Sorry to say that’s not entirely true. 

please spare me the details, LOL, but I will take your word for it.

my recommendation is to flush multiple times throughout the process to minimize the chance of a blockage.  This works well on land based toilets as well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1