Westbound transatlantic - Port or Starboard and why?

Hi everyone, 

I have never done a transatlantic, and I am considering booking one.

Could you give me your thoughts on whether it is better to be on the Port or Starboard side together with you reasons?

I have the option of either, and I keep changing my mind.

Thank you

Much depends upon which cabin you've picked, when the cruise begins, whether it's taking a northern or southern route (where does the cruise end?), and how much time you plan to spend on your veranda, if you have one.  All of those questions because...

At that time of year (though the TAs span a bit of time), the sun will be more southerly in the sky, so you'll be seeing sun on the port side and shade on the starboard side. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owensjro said:

We prefer starboard in general simply because of the smoking areas being on the port side and I don't want that ruining my balcony experience. 

You make it sound like this is a problem for all port side cabins.  It's not.  Which ship and which cabin was a problem for your cruise?

I did a westbound TA last November - different line though.

I had a port side balcony. From Southampton down to the Azores it was fairly sheltered. After the Azores as we headed south and west, it became a wonderful suntrap in the afternoons with some great sunsets to watch. 
It was my first TA and I doubt it’ll be the last; the sea days gave loads of relaxation time.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Much depends upon which cabin you've picked, when the cruise begins, whether it's taking a northern or southern route (where does the cruise end?), and how much time you plan to spend on your veranda, if you have one.  All of those questions because...

At that time of year (though the TAs span a bit of time), the sun will be more southerly in the sky, so you'll be seeing sun on the port side and shade on the starboard side. 

I agree with your findings 100% , we have done atleast 5 westbound TAs

we are doing the Lisbon to Argentina TA in 2025 , I pick a starboard cabin since we will be south of the equator , and heading in a SW direction

Hope i choose wisely 😁

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

we are doing the Lisbon to Argentina TA in 2025 , I pick a starboard cabin since we will be south of the equator , and heading in a SW direction

Hope i choose wisely 😁

I was primarily thinking of the many TAs that terminate in Cape Liberty or Florida.

For the SA trips, the weather gets flipped around as you head south, along with the sun, but you'll be a good bit more than 1/2 way through your TA to Buenos Aires before you even hit the equator.  I might be inclined to pick port side - more sun on the way south, more shade once we got further south and the temperatures were warming up.  It's all a matter of how much sun you want on a veranda.  Would be nice to be able to switch sides part way through a SA TA!  Our WB TA preference, back in the day, was for the aft FV cabins on Millennium class where you had your choice of whatever sun or shade you wanted with the huge, partly covered verandas. 

I think you'll be surprised if you try out this tool and look at what you find in towns along the more northerly east coast of South America in mid-November in the mornings and afternoons  https://shademap.app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Princess Jessie said:

Hi everyone, 

I have never done a transatlantic, and I am considering booking one.

Could you give me your thoughts on whether it is better to be on the Port or Starboard side together with you reasons?

I have the option of either, and I keep changing my mind.

Thank you

We like to keep our balcony in the shade, so we prefer the starboard side for a westbound TA.  My wife gets migraines from cigarette smoke so we also prefer to be away from the port side as a precaution which is a bonus.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, crusnbee said:

Any opinions on a Sunset Veranda for this TA?

Thanks!

They are excellent cabins for a TA especially on an M class ship!!

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a2d2e2c8798049d52f853d90f57e9c.jpeg

Constellation somewhere in the North Atlantic.  Rome to Tampa TA.  Oct 2022.

Edited by mahdnc

4 minutes ago, crusnbee said:

Thanks!

Equinox, 2025?

I can't say I'd have any preference.  All good choices if you like the SV cabins.

Every other one on all 3 decks has a sofa bed, and not knowing how many in your party...

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Constellation.  Rome to Tampa TA.  Oct 2022.

Huge difference.  I'd take the M class SV [decks 7 or 8] over S class SV any day.  This particular TA is to Argentina, though,and it looks like that's an S class ship. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crusnbee said:

We are actually on the Apex in Oct 2025 for the TA. What about the edge class?

I'd avoid the ones under the Ocean View on Deck 12.  You've got several other decks from which to choose.

25 minutes ago, crusnbee said:

Thanks!

When you said "this TA" and didn't provide any additional details, we thought you mean the only TA in the thread with a defined destination - the one that @Ex-Airbalancer mentioned, headed for Argentina.

25 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Thank you for the lovely picture.  We are doing this exact cruise Oct 31, 2025 on Connie too, cabin 1138.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

A great neutral pick between port and starboard!  Different cruse line, but we are also in an aft facing stateroom for our upcoming 2025 transatlantic.  Always a preferred choice with us on any cruise or cruise line.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Hope i choose wisely 😁

We are doing the same cruise. I didn’t even think of reasoning you gave. Good to know. Fortunately we are in an aft SS so we should be good 😂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

We are doing the same cruise. I didn’t even think of reasoning you gave. Good to know. Fortunately we are in an aft SS so we should be good 😂

Rough life 🤣

Book a balcony on deck 8 near the aft

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer