How far in advance are ports published?

I'm looking at a land trip to Iceland in August 2025, and am trying to avoid being in Isafjordur at the same time as multiple cruise ships.  Cruisemapper has several days that month with no ship in port.   How likely is it that additional cruises will be visiting that port 13 months out, or are the cruise itineraries fairly set and published by now?

See if there are port websites that have the info, not the websites that attempt to collect all the ship's schedules...their accuracy can be lacking. And when they list those schedules can be later than you desire.

In general, the cruise lines develop their schedules 2 to 3 years in advance. Yes, changes happen. 

• Like 1

@ljandgb -If you put in "cruise timetables" into a google search (or any other search engine) you will find websites that publish the known calendar including the ships.  I saw entries for Isafjordur for dates in August 2025 on at least one of these sites.  Good luck!

Thanks.  Cruisemapper seems to have the most data.  The port's website has info from 2023, so not so helpful.  Good to know that while anything could change, that most lines likely have their schedules published at this point.  I'd prefer not to share the area with 5,000+ cruise passengers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Thanks.  Cruisemapper seems to have the most data.  The port's website has info from 2023, so not so helpful.  Good to know that while anything could change, that most lines likely have their schedules published at this point.  I'd prefer not to share the area with 5,000+ cruise passengers.

Iceland is a beautiful and amazing place. I wouldn't allow another ship stop you from enjoying.

Isafjordur has 2,500 inhabitants.  July 4, 2024, there were 4 cruise ships with a minimum of 9,000 passengers in port.  

This will be my 4th trip to Iceland.  It's one of my favorite countries, partly because of how unpopulated and undeveloped it is.  If I can avoid 9,000 others in the same small area, I will, even if it's just for the day.  The rest of the places we'll be in the Westfjords, it will definitely be less busy.

On 7/25/2024 at 1:08 PM, ljandgb said:

Isafjordur has 2,500 inhabitants.  July 4, 2024, there were 4 cruise ships with a minimum of 9,000 passengers in port.  

This will be my 4th trip to Iceland.  It's one of my favorite countries, partly because of how unpopulated and undeveloped it is.  If I can avoid 9,000 others in the same small area, I will, even if it's just for the day.  The rest of the places we'll be in the Westfjords, it will definitely be less busy.

Perhaps we should start a new topic called "cruiser's hypocrisy" or something similar.  Why?  Because we cruisers want to go to places that are not crowded with other cruisers and/or tourists.  But we are part of the very problem we want to eliminate.  And yes, you are right about Iceland.  When we started visiting Iceland (and Greenland) we were usually the only ship in the ports, and our ship carried fewer than 600 passengers.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps we should start a new topic called "cruiser's hypocrisy" or something similar.  Why?  Because we cruisers want to go to places that are not crowded with other cruisers and/or tourists.  But we are part of the very problem we want to eliminate.  And yes, you are right about Iceland.  When we started visiting Iceland (and Greenland) we were usually the only ship in the ports, and our ship carried fewer than 600 passengers.  

Hank

Unfortunate, but probably true.

This will be my 4th land trip.  I will always recommend a land trip over a cruise for Iceland, partially for this reason.  The actual ports are small, far, and few between.  There's so much in between to see, and it is an easy country to self drive.

I get that there are some that can't self drive or take tours, and a cruise is better than nothing, but I do think the ports need to start self regulating how many ships they allow at one time.

11 hours ago, ljandgb said:

This will be my 4th land trip.  I will always recommend a land trip over a cruise for Iceland, partially for this reason.  The actual ports are small, far, and few between.  There's so much in between to see, and it is an easy country to self drive.

I get that there are some that can't self drive or take tours, and a cruise is better than nothing, but I do think the ports need to start self regulating how many ships they allow at one time.

Not only how many ships, but how many passengers as there is a large difference in the size of ships.