Skagway cruise passengers headed to Haines after being trapped in Canada by a rockslide

Read about yesterday on another social site.  Everyone is safe.  They did have a very long day though and quite the journey.  Key takeaway for me is to always be prepared for the unthinkable when you go out on an excursion as you may not return at the scheduled time.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We are on the Discovery Princess & before we could leave, the Captain informed us that we had 20 on an independent tour that were caught in this. Sounded like Holland America came to their aid and allowed them to join the large group. We are to pick them up in Ketchikan in the morning. We had just come down from Carcross on a private tour about 2.5 hours before the slide. The rain had been unprecedented according to our guide who has lived in Skagway 28 years. Amazing amount of water coming down the mountains!

Edited by texswamper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, texswamper said:

We are on the Discovery Princess & before we could leave, the Captain informed us that we had 20 on an independent tour that were caught in this. Sounded like Holland America came to their aid and allowed them to join the large group. We are to pick them up in Ketchikan in the morning. We had just come down from Carcross on a private tour about 2.5 hours before the slide. The rain had been unprecedented according to our guide who has lived in Skagway 28 years. Amazing amount of water coming down the mountains!

I just came off an Alaska cruise on Queen Elizabeth, July 11-22. It rained at least part of the day EVERY day. Sometimes harder than others. Heaviest rain was Juneau (on the 18th), where they said they hadn't seen the sun in 10 days and expected a few more days of rain. Looking at radar, I could see that there was a big blob of rain just hanging out over southern Alaska. We were in Haines the day before the people on that tour arrived there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slavetoabunny said:

Wow!  I wonder how long this is going to impact excursions.  We have a port stop in Skagway mid-August and are booked on the train excursion.

Cancel now, if you can.

3 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

Cancel now, if you can.

If the excursion is cancelled by the operator, we'll get our money back from the cruise line.  I'm not concerned about that.  I was just really looking forward to it.  We went on the train in 2017 and it was one of our favorite excursions.

3 hours ago, Langoustine said:

Cancel now, if you can.

Hang on to it. If it is a no-go HAL will cancel it and refund the money.

Not sure if you can book a backup excursion but, if possible, that would be a good option. You can always cancel the backup if HAL does not cancel the train trip' 

• Like 1

Anyone know the status of the clean up on the landslide?  I am on the Koningsdam next Saturday and have booked the train in Skagway........just wondering if I should cancel the train and book another excursion.....anyone hear anything?

On 7/27/2024 at 12:20 AM, doone said:

Anyone know the status of the clean up on the landslide?  I am on the Koningsdam next Saturday and have booked the train in Skagway........just wondering if I should cancel the train and book another excursion.....anyone hear anything?

The landslide that covered the tracks was cleared on Thursday. Highway may still be closed. 

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2024/07/25/klondike-highway-closed-by-landslide/

• Like 1