New shipments being turned over to Carnival

Posted (edited)

Oops should be new ships being turned over to CCL. Sorry about that.

Saw this was going to happen a few days ago. Anyone know which ships will move over?

Edited by Micahs Grandad
error in title

1 hour ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Saw this was going to happen a few days ago. Anyone know which ships will move over?

Not sure what you are referring to, but they will be taking possession of two P&O Australia ships (and the third will be liquidated (so to seems).  This will happen next March.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not sure what you are referring to, but they will be taking possession of two P&O Australia ships (and the third will be liquidated (so to seems).  This will happen next March.

Thats it but thought I read on his page there was going to be 5

Just now, Micahs Grandad said:

Thats it but thought I read on his page there was going to be 5

There are 5 new ships on order now, 2 more Excel class and 3 new class (even larger).

52 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

I have been on RCCL huge ship and 6000 people were plenty. At some point they will reach a max passenger number.

At the very least it significantly cuts down on the options.  

Its going to be worse than RCL. According to Carnival the ships will be 230,000 tons which is roughly the same size as Royals Oasis class ships which hold 6000 people.  Carnival will hold 8000.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

The press release is counting the Costa transfers that have already happened (Luminosa, Venezia, Firenze). Carnival Cruise Line will have added 10 ships since the restart (5 transfers, 5 newbuilds) by 2033 that will be at least 55,000 additional lower berths. Even if you count all of the pandemic-related disposals, only about 13,000 lower berths were lost with the six Fantasy-class vessels), which means Carnival may be up as many as 42,000 lower berths by 2033.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

I have been on RCCL huge ship and 6000 people were plenty. At some point they will reach a max passenger number.

Icon is currently sailing at 132% of capacity or about 7400.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/07/royal-caribbeans-icon-of-the-seas-sailing-at-132-percent-occupancy/

7600 would be max

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Icon is currently sailing at 132% of capacity or about 7400.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/07/royal-caribbeans-icon-of-the-seas-sailing-at-132-percent-occupancy/

7600 would be max

Wonder how crowded dining venues would be. The marches in the promenade would be overcrowded. If you do not get reservations early for entertainment good luck seeing anything.

10 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Wonder how crowded dining venues would be. The marches in the promenade would be overcrowded. If you do not get reservations early for entertainment good luck seeing anything.

and then talk about the outrageous fares they charge to get this wonderful experience.

On 7/27/2024 at 6:12 AM, jimbo5544 said:

and then talk about the outrageous fares they charge to get this wonderful experience.

We paid somewhat more than usual to sail Allure a year ago. Was a nice experience but not worth losing our perks for.

On 7/26/2024 at 7:14 PM, Micahs Grandad said:

And what about disembarkation. And if there was ever a tender port, the lines would be amazingly long.You might not even be able to get off without the priority of a ship's excursion.

2 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

We paid somewhat more than usual to sail Allure a year ago. Was a nice experience but not worth losing our perks for.

I get that

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And what about disembarkation. And if there was ever a tender port, the lines would be amazingly long.You might not even be able to get off without the priority of a ship's excursion.

They don't tender at any port with those ships. And debarkation from Oasis with 6000 was no worse than any other cruise we've been on. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DanJ said:

They don't tender at any port with those ships. And debarkation from Oasis with 6000 was no worse than any other cruise we've been on. 

I guess that means there are a lot of interesting ports where these mega ships cannot go and quite possibly others that do not want any ship that large letting passengers disembark.

11 hours ago, DanJ said:

I think RCCL does a really good job with the embark/debark process.  The issue we all have to deal with in regards to mega liners is the whole “the ship is the destination”.  This is across all lines but RCCL is the king in this area.  There is no doubt that it is very profitable.  For a lot here, cruising (both historically speaking as well as what they want) is NOT this.  The interaction to the sea, the feel of cruising, the destinations.  

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I guess that means there are a lot of interesting ports where these mega ships cannot go and quite possibly others that do not want any ship that large letting passengers disembark.

You do not have to guess about that, it is 100% factual.  

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

You do not have to guess about that, it is 100% factual.  

I knew that. I suppose I should not have used the word "guess". 😉

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2024 at 7:43 AM, jimbo5544 said:

It seems that we are headed into two distinct cruising experiences.

Cruising has found that mass market appeal for the traveler that just wants to go away for a week and not have to expend too much brain power in doing so. Much like the all inclusive resorts. If this person is going to do any type of exploration of other cultures and history, it better be within 5 miles of a port, take no more than 4 or 5 hours and don't get too far away from my creature comforts (and by god, my cell phone better work there lol). Oh and the people should speak English as well. 

There's economies of scale with larger and larger ships, for sure. But I think there is also a declining market in people interested in going to these less popular locations that the smaller ships could go to. The sophisticated world traveler isn't interested in the cruising type of vacation probably. And the "see the USA in my Chevrolet" crowd, cruising (such that it was ) likely wasn't within their reach way back when, and now maybe they have good retirements but this is what cruising is now. 

1 minute ago, DanJ said:

Cruising has found that mass market appeal for the traveler that just wants to go away for a week and not have to expend too much brain power in doing so. Much like the all inclusive resorts. If this person is going to do any type of exploration of other cultures and history, it better be within 5 miles of a port, take no more than 4 or 5 hours and don't get too far away from my creature comforts (and by god, my cell phone better work there lol). Oh and the people should speak English as well. 

There's economies of scale with larger and larger ships, for sure. But I think there is also a declining market in people interested in going to these less popular locations that the smaller ships could go to. The sophisticated world traveler isn't interested in the cruising type of vacation probably. And the "see the USA in my Chevrolet" crowd, cruising (such that it was ) likely wasn't within their reach way back when, and now maybe they have good retirements but this is what cruising is now. 

I agree with much of what you said.  That said, I would counter that there is still significant demand for just the opposite.  I think Carnival has recognized that we well.