28 Day Norwegian Fjords & Icelandic Intrigue on Sojourn - July 27th through August 24th - Our Experience

SLSD

Posted (edited)

And finally, our lunch on Sojourn outside the Colonnade today.  Luxury dining at its best.  The inside area was crowded and the dining room was not open for lunch.  There were about eight tables of diners.  Others came out but turned back as they thought it was too cold outside---and it was! We still maintain that the dining room should be open for lunch on cold weather cruises.  Others may disagree.  That's the lovely town of Akureyri in the background.  

IMG_4245.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

One more photo from Akureyri, Iceland before I move to yesterday.  This is a photo of a traffic light in the city of 20,000.  All red lights are in the shape of hearts.  This design for red lights was chosen during a particularly difficult time when there was financial hardship and a dark winter.  Our guide told us that it is thought that the heart shaped light have made a difference for the citizens of Akureyri.  

IMG_0698.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

That red light is a lovely idea!

I suggest you send that great photo of outdoors at the Colonnade tot he SB CEO with a suitable comment re opening the dining room for lunch each day.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That red light is a lovely idea!

I suggest you send that great photo of outdoors at the Colonnade tot he SB CEO with a suitable comment re opening the dining room for lunch each day.

I've thought of that...

• Like 5

SLSD,

We are embarking on 8-24 as you will be leaving so sadly we will not be able to meet but I have really enjoyed your posts and appreciate your time with your narratives and pictures.

I have a few questions if you have time?

-Any suggestions on packing?? We have all the weather proof gear but anything else you would recommend?

-Have you had any issues with mosquitos?? A FB group from Ventures is recommending face nets?

-How have the excursions been?   We have a mix of on our own and some with Seabourn but any outstanding ones you would suggest we not miss?

Thank You-I'm so sorry we wont meet this time!

On 8/3/2024 at 12:02 PM, SLSD said:

I had veal scallopini yesterday and it was really good.  I

Civility of MDR would be enough for it to taste better, but no surprise if this was delivered from Colonnade.   IME, most mains found on buffet line will be listed on MDR lunch menu. 

52 minutes ago, saminina said:

Civility of MDR would be enough for it to taste better, but no surprise if this was delivered from Colonnade.   IME, most mains found on buffet line will be listed on MDR lunch menu. 

Yes, you are correct.  I don't care where the food comes from if it is served instead of in a buffet and if the surroundings are serene and pleasant.  The MDR lunch menu has been very good--for us.  

3 hours ago, SistersInFun said:

SLSD,

We are embarking on 8-24 as you will be leaving so sadly we will not be able to meet but I have really enjoyed your posts and appreciate your time with your narratives and pictures.

I have a few questions if you have time?

-Any suggestions on packing?? We have all the weather proof gear but anything else you would recommend?

-Have you had any issues with mosquitos?? A FB group from Ventures is recommending face nets?

-How have the excursions been?   We have a mix of on our own and some with Seabourn but any outstanding ones you would suggest we not miss?

Thank You-I'm so sorry we wont meet this time!

I don't know what your itinerary is--but if it is Iceland or Norway, I think a waterproof (not just water resistant) jacket is a very good idea.  Also, bring layers.  I have a quilted vest, a down sweater, and then my waterproof jacket.  I also have a stocking cap and a pair of gloves.  We've had some very cold days (in certain locations) and these layers have served me well.  I can't suggest excursions without knowing your ports.  

We have not seen any mosquitos in Iceland.  I think one of our guides said that some places have them.  

The excursions have been good, but there have been too many people on the buses and many have been  coughing.  Unfortunately, both Mr. SLSD and I tested positive for Covid late this afternoon.   We have very very mild symptoms, but we self tested (and reported to the ship) before meeting friends for dinner.  Mr. SLSD had fatigue today, so I insisted that he test. Then, I tested and was positive also.  We did not want to expose our friends.  We wish others cared enough not to expose others.  The nurse has come by our suite.  Neither of us has fever.  The nurse says she will release us from quarantine if we have no fever and are feeling ok.  We have some sea days coming up--so the timing is good.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

We did not want to expose our friends.  We wish others cared enough not to expose others.  The nurse has come by our suite.  Neither of us has fever.  The nurse says she will release us from quarantine if we have no fever and are feeling ok.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and thanks for the excellent reporting on your voyage.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and thanks for the excellent reporting on your voyage.

Thank you John.  We hope to recover quickly.  I'm a bit behind in my reporting.  I should have plenty of time to catch up!

8 hours ago, saminina said:

Totally agree.  Love the MDR for lunch but same choices as on the buffet.  Never understood that.

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

I don't know what your itinerary is--but if it is Iceland or Norway, I think a waterproof (not just water resistant) jacket is a very good idea.  Also, bring layers.  I have a quilted vest, a down sweater, and then my waterproof jacket.  I also have a stocking cap and a pair of gloves.  We've had some very cold days (in certain locations) and these layers have served me well.  I can't suggest excursions without knowing your ports.  

We have not seen any mosquitos in Iceland.  I think one of our guides said that some places have them.  

The excursions have been good, but there have been too many people on the buses and many have been  coughing.  Unfortunately, both Mr. SLSD and I tested positive for Covid late this afternoon.   We have very very mild symptoms, but we self tested (and reported to the ship) before meeting friends for dinner.  Mr. SLSD had fatigue today, so I insisted that he test. Then, I tested and was positive also.  We did not want to expose our friends.  We wish others cared enough not to expose others.  The nurse has come by our suite.  Neither of us has fever.  The nurse says she will release us from quarantine if we have no fever and are feeling ok.  We have some sea days coming up--so the timing is good.  

Hoping you both have VERY mild symptom and recover quickly.  We always travel with Paxlovid (spelling as I don't have in in front of me).. Good report, we join Encore in 11 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Hoping you both have VERY mild symptom and recover quickly.  We always travel with Paxlovid (spelling as I don't have in in front of me).. Good report, we join Encore in 11 days.

I brought Paxlovid and started it immediately.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Totally agree.  Love the MDR for lunch but same choices as on the buffet.  Never understood that.

Economies of scale most likely in ingredients and labor.  

• Like 1

So very sorry to hear both of you have Covid.  Glad you're on top of it and have already begun Paxlovid. From what you wrote, it seems that there is no longer a mandatory 5 day quarantine, it sounds as though the nurse or doctor can use clinical discretion based on your symptoms.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Posted (edited)

On our recent Venture trip our friends got it and each was quarantined until no symptoms - 2 days. On Odyssey last year Bas got it and was quarantined 7 days regardless. The refund was unexpected, but nice. So many people don’t report and don’t seem to care.

Good to hear you aren’t badly affected and have a few sea days.

Edited by BasandSyb
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2024 at 3:37 PM, SLSD said:

I am so sorry to hear about COVID- and Thank you for being so responsible. I am wondering if you have heard of  other guests or staff with COVID ? And any idea on the quarantine process?

We have nightmare's still  from being on what we call the  COvation 12-22 when over half  the staff and guests had COVID and all were quarantined for 10  days- it was a crazy time and yet we still cruise!

11 hours ago, SistersInFun said:

I am so sorry to hear about COVID- and Thank you for being so responsible. I am wondering if you have heard of  other guests or staff with COVID ? And any idea on the quarantine process?

We have nightmare's still  from being on what we call the  COvation 12-22 when over half  the staff and guests had COVID and all were quarantined for 10  days- it was a crazy time and yet we still cruise!

I'm sure there are many onboard who would test positive for Covid if they were tested--much coughing heard on the ship and in buses.  Seabourn does have a protocol---they are treating Covid just like they treat any other virus or illness.  When you have no fever and no symptoms, your quarantine is over.  Neither of us had fever and Mr. SLSD had the mildest of symptoms and I had no symptoms at all.  We were officially released from isolation yesterday afternoon.  Shortly after that, Guest Services called and asked if we would like to reclaim our invitation to dine with the Captain last night--and we did.  We both feel 100% well.  The nurse onboard told us that the latest cases of Covid onboard have been very mild.  So--there you have it.  We isolated for around 36 hours. We felt like it was the right thing to do to report our positive tests to the ship.  Most people do not report.  It is quite probable that some have Covid and do not know it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Last night was formal night following a sea day.  We received an invitation to dine with Captain Kyriakos Karras in The Restaurant.  There were seven of us at dinner and the menu was Seabourn's "Signature Dinner".  Our waiter (Simba) told us that it was basically a tasting menu with an entree.  I've attached photos of the menu.   I've posted the vegetarian options followed the regular offerings.  I especially liked the white plum tomato cappucino with tarragon foam.  The menu items were delicious--every single one of them.   

Both Captain Karras and his wife Maria are charming and hospitable.  We had lively conversations and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The captain is friendly and sincere and is happy to talk about all kinds of topics.  I found out how he met his wife for example and we talked about the best times to cruise the Greek Islands (April and October according to the captain).  

While walking through the dining room, I noticed a fair number of men wearing tuxes--more than I have noticed in the past.  Mr. SLSD did not bring a tux, but wore a navy blazer with bow tie and gray dress pants.  The other gentleman at our table was wearing a dark blue suit with tie.  Women's attire was all over the map--ranging from strapless sequin encrusted gorgeous gowns to dressy slacks and tops.  

IMG_1164 (3).jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

I have had quite a few of those Chef's dinners, and always loved them - especially the white tomato soup, which nearly always features.  I know some people don't care for them at all.  Although there are a lot of courses, they are all smallish, so manageable, though by the time you get to dessert you might struggle a bit.

Good that your covid was mild and didn't spoil things too much.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Today we had an experience which exemplifies what we cruise for!   We had an excursion at Kirkwall on the Orkney Islands to some exceptional sites.  It was the best day ever!  We went to places we would never likely see but on a cruise.  

We signed up for an excursion called Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae, and Skaill House.  What an excursion!  This trip was so in sync with our interests and if you like archaeology, history, etc., it might be of interest to you as well. 

Our guide was an archaeologist who was very clear on her mission.  She wanted us to understand what was important in the sites we were going to see.  She is a landscape archaeologist by education (I did not know about that field).  

Our first stop was The Ring of Brodgar, a neolithic site from c.2400BC.  Our guide explained that this site is a henge (think Stonehenge, but more important she said).  While the Ring of Brodgar is a ring of stones surrounded by the "henge" which is a ditch dug into bedrock around the area of the stone ring, our guide maintained that the stones are not nearly as important as the henge.    This whole site is on an island within an island.  If you look at the surrounds, it is a special place, surrounded by a landscape which affected the neolithic people in such a way that they were drawn to create this ring and its henge.  There is a lot more to contemplate, but these are the essentials to know.  

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056 (1).JPG

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4267 (3).jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our next stop on today's excursion was Skara Brae, the name which has been given to the Neolithic stone homes discovered by the Bay on Skail in around 1850.  These homes  are very well preserved and now well ;protected. These stone homes, built with stacked stone, included furniture and carvings and probably housed 50 to 100 people for a time period of 300 years.  The homes are connected with pathways that our guide told us makes them unique.  

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Today we had an experience which exemplifies what we cruise for!   We had an excursion at Kirkwall on the Orkney Islands to some exceptional sites.  It was the best day ever!  We went to places we would never likely see but on a cruise.  

We signed up for an excursion called Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae, and Skaill House.  What an excursion!  This trip was so in sync with our interests and if you like archaeology, history, etc., it might be of interest to you as well. 

Our guide was an archaeologist who was very clear on her mission.  She wanted us to understand what was important in the sites we were going to see.  She is a landscape archaeologist by education (I did not know about that field).  

Our first stop was The Ring of Brodgar, a neolithic site from c.2400BC.  Our guide explained that this site is a henge (think Stonehenge, but more important she said).  While the Ring of Brodgar is a ring of stones surrounded by the "henge" which is a ditch dug into bedrock around the area of the stone ring, our guide maintained that the stones are not nearly as important as the henge.    This whole site is on an island within an island.  If you look at the surrounds, it is a special place, surrounded by a landscape which affected the neolithic people in such a way that they were drawn to create this ring and its henge.  There is a lot more to contemplate, but these are the essentials to know.  

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056 (1).JPG

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4267 (3).jpg

It’s a fabulous place and I’m so glad you got to enjoy it. Our quest cruise up there was why we now holiday on shetland every year (and the ferry calls in Kirkwall at 11pm and wakes us up every time!). I’m so glad you are feeling well and I hope the weather improves a bit. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Our third site today was on the same grounds as the Neolithic Skara Brae homes.  This site was the Skaill House which dates back to the 1600s.  It is a home purchased by a bishop and then held for several generations of his family.  It is not a grand home, but a substantial edifice which served as a family home in a fairly remote place.  After we left the home, our guide told us that it is the considered to be the most haunted house in the Orkney Islands.  Note in the photo below, some artifacts from the Neolithic Skara Brae stone homes--items that were found by the owners of Skaill House and added to their "cabinet of curiousties"--such a Victorian concept.  

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3