28 Day Norwegian Fjords & Icelandic Intrigue on Sojourn - July 27th through August 24th - Our Experience

SLSD

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thatbloominplace said:

hi

i just want to thank you for the wonderful pictures and comments. we will be sailing on the sojourn in october which will be our first seaborn cruise after 45 others including azamara, windstar and oceania.

at first we planned on avoiding the formal nights but then decided we might be missing out on something so i opted to buy a sportcoat. not a huge concession.

very much looking forward to this cruise as it includes only small ports in italy, france, and spain rather than large cities.

again thank you. i gleaned several tips to make our experience better.

The formal nights feature a delicious tasting menu.  But somehow, on a 28 day cruise, we have only made it to one of them! I brought at least three different choices to wear on those nights.   My husband does wear a jacket every night to dinner--as do quite a few men.  So, even if you don't go to formal night dinners in The Restaurant, the jacket will still be appropriate.  

Thank you for letting me know that you have enjoyed the comments and photos.  I always enjoy reading about the cruises of others--and sometimes learn something helpful. 

Enjoy your first Seabourn cruise!  Order caviar!  Order a bottle of wine for your suite when you want it.  Enjoy lunch on the patio and dinner at Earth and Ocean.  Ask for a top sheet for your bed!  Take a bridge tour!  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

On 8/16/2024 at 9:24 AM, speech1102 said:

I noticed some of you said you had paxlovid with you. How did you get it. My doctor won’t prescribe it unless you actually have Covd?

Doctors will give a prophylactic prescription in advance of travel.  However, do be sure to discuss with your doctor any medications you take (such as for high blood pressure) that must be discontinued while you are taking Paxlovid.  My doctor's opinion was that the risk of discontinuing my BP meds  was greater than the benefit from taking Paxlovid.  But that's just me.  YMMV.

I wish I'd kept the bottle of a "just in case" antibiotic I received for a South America jungle trip in 1986. The instructions were to begin treatment after the fifth loose stool.

Sorry for the thread drift, SLDS. Thanks for your informative thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SDuckers said:

Doctors will give a prophylactic prescription in advance of travel.  However, do be sure to discuss with your doctor any medications you take (such as for high blood pressure) that must be discontinued while you are taking Paxlovid.  My doctor's opinion was that the risk of discontinuing my BP meds  was greater than the benefit from taking Paxlovid.  But that's just me.  YMMV.

Since Mr. SLSD and I have both successfully take Paxlovid in the past during a bout with Covid, both of our doctors knew that could take it.  The important thing is to start it immediately.  

• Like 1

While we have been blessed with generally wonderful weather, we are on our last sea day today and the sea is very rough--as rough as it was when we crossed the Bering Sea in 2019.  I attended a lecture (foods of the UK) today, but have time now to continue with our experience aboard Sojourn 

Loen/Olden is a beautiful place. If you go there on a cruise, you can step right onto the ski lift op the mountain.  We did not do this, but so many did and report an astonishing view.  IF you decide to do this, get on the Seabourn tender early and go on the lift.  Changes are good there will be another cruise ship (much bigger than a Seabourn ship) coming right after you--and the line could be VERY long later in the day.  Friends on board also told us that there is an excellent restaurant at the top--which takes reservations--so that is another option.  

Meanwhile, here are some additional photos from the Loen/Olden area of Norway.  

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2482 (1).JPG

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

The evening we were sailing out of the Nordfjord and Loen, we were fortunate to have one of our reservations at Solis, the new Seabourn restaurant.  We were so happy when we were seated at a window table in that small restaurant so that we could watch the beautiful scenery.  

This was our third (and last for this voyage). meal at Solis.  The first two meals were truly spectacular.  For this one, the food was so so. We both ordered signature cocktails which we enjoyed. I ordered the salad nicoise for my starter.  I LOVE salad nicoise and order it often in restaurants.  This one was very mediocre.  In fact, I resorted to salting it--when I never add extra salt to my food.  Mr. SLSD had a pasta starter and liked it very much.  We both had the red snapper and it was a bit of a disappontment.  I had the same dessert I had previously at Solis and it was great as usual. With dessert, we had a complimentary dessert wine which is available all over the ship--not just in Solis.  After dessert we had coffee and tea.  I had the Moroccan tea.  I enjoyed it--particularly as it was served in a charming glass cup. 

IMG_4958.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6

Yesterday, we were in the wonderful city of Bergen, Norway.  Bergen was not on our Norwegian itinerary for last year's cruise--and we found it to be one of the most interesting ports this year.  We opted to take a walking tour with a very knowledgable Norwegian guide (a ship's tour).  By time the tour was over, we had seen a good part of the city center, had learned a lot about the history of the city, and had traveled by funicular to near the top of a nearby mountain.  It was a VERY worthwhile tour. 

Yes, we could have walked the city on our own, but taking the walking tour really suited us as our guide was excellent.  I've included some photos of Bergen here.   Note the view from near the top of the mountain.  At the top, there are a number of buildings, including a restaurant for which you could make lunch reservations if you desired and were visiting on your own. 

We enjoyed watching children play on the playground.  I've included a photo of two little boys running through a tunnel of vines.  They were having such a good time.  We loved the mountaintop experience as well as walking through narrow winding streets in Bergen and learning about how fires had burned down the city many times.  Finally, measures were taken to prevent losing the entire city in a fire.  Our guide even suggested a restaurant for some of us for lunch.  Take a walking tour if you have the opportunity!  

The row of buildings in one of the earlier photos is a place called "The Wharf".  This place has historical significance as it has been a place of trade in Bergen for hundreds of years.  It is now a Unesco site.  

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2599.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

At the end of our walking tour of Bergen, we stayed in the city and explored for a few more hours---until we just couldn't go any longer.  First, we returned to the area called The Wharf.  Our guide had casually mentioned that the buildings went "way back" and that we should explore them.  Oh my!  There are passageways between some of the wharf buildings that are quite interesting.  There are quite a number of shops--some of them worthy of your time.  We never shop while on cruises, but purchased a couple of hand painted hand poured porcelain cups meant for schnapps.  I should have bought 6 or 8 of them.  

Here are some photos from that area.  Note that some of the buildings of built of planed logs.  Since Mr. SLSD and I own a 19th century log house built by a family member in 1856, we enjoyed looking at the Norwegian log buildings.  

Bergen would be the perfect city for an overnight stop by Seabourn.  

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2663 (1).jpg

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2687.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

Last night, we had an on deck sailaway from Bergen.  The Dutch Tenor performed and everyone seemed to enjoy the performance. 

As I said above, today we are at sea.  Beware of the North Sea--even in the summertime.  These seas are very rough.  We have, once again, taken precautions. 

Today was another market galley lunch.  We don't go to this.  Mr. SLSD braved the elements and had lunch on the patio.  He said the swimming pool was going wild.  I had  a room service lunch as only the Galley Lunch and the patio were available. I wasn't interested in braving the wind o the patio.  I can recommend the spaghetti with meat sauce on the room service menu.  I  also ordered a green salad, a  bottle of white wine (leftovers in our fridge)  and a selection of cookies.  It worked for me!  

IMG_5061.jpg

• Like 5

The unseasonable strong wind/rain blowing across Northern Europe and impacting the North Sea  are the remnants of Hurricane Ernesto. All the way from North America. Thanks Guys!😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, adoctor said:

The unseasonable strong wind/rain blowing across Northern Europe and impacting the North Sea  are the remnants of Hurricane Ernesto. All the way from North America. Thanks Guys!😉

We have been fortunate to only be impacted on a sea day. Any bad weather we have experienced has been on sea days. I do question this choice of itinerary by Seabourn at the end of our cruise.  I think Amsterdam is an odd choice as a final port before Dover for an Icelandic/Norwegian itinerary..  I'm sure many are pleased to be going to Amsterdam.  We've spent a fair amount of time in the city previously.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

You were indeed fortunate to have had such a gorgeous day in Bergen. 
Bergen is well known for its wet weather, much like Seattle, having well over 200 rainy days each year. Our one visit to Bergen was very wet, The tram immediately entered the cloud bank that day, so was not worth doing. We did still enjoy walking around and the wharf area as you describe. 

8 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

You were indeed fortunate to have had such a gorgeous day in Bergen. 
Bergen is well known for its wet weather, much like Seattle, having well over 200 rainy days each year. Our one visit to Bergen was very wet, The tram immediately entered the cloud bank that day, so was not worth doing. We did still enjoy walking around and the wharf area as you describe. 

We had a little short rain shower in Bergen.  Our guide told us that it rains all the time there.  We were fortunate to have generally good weather.  It is such a great city.  We really enjoyed our day there.  We could have easily spent several days there.  

• Like 1

I've changed my mind about Amsterdam being our last port.  We both loved the excursion we had outside of Amsterdam  today.  I'll come back later with photos from the day.  

Packing to go home is virtually completed.  We'll disembark tomorrow around 9:30am.  It has been a truly wonderful cruise.  I'll have final comments after we arrive home.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip.   It was fun spending some time with you and your husband during the prior segments.

safe travels,

Nancy

Thank you Nancy.  I enjoyed our time spent together on Sojourn.  

• Like 1

@SLSD. Thank you for sharing your experiences!  I really appreciate your commentary and feedback on the cruise.  Also happy to hear they will start opening the MDR for lunch in particular on port days.  On our spring South Pacific trip on Pursuit it was closed except sea days.  The Colunmade was crowded with a wait and the patio which is an extension on this smaller ship was very hot and humid also with a wait and pretty uncomfortable in the heat of the day with 90% humidity.  Given the fact there was no place to go off ship for lunch, and the expeditions were for everyone at more or less the same time morning and afternoon ( staggered but everyone returned for  a lunch window at around the same time more or less), lunches were dreaded as opposed to relaxed!  We started just having a big room service breakfast and picking up snacks in the square or ordering room service which unfortunately quite a few were doing the latter so it was tight to make the afternoon expedition sometimes.     Fingers crossed this will change on the expedition cruises as well! 
Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice report!  Much appreciated by all.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2024 at 2:35 AM, SLSD said:

Seabourn certainly knows how to make lemonade from lemons.  Last night we were treated to what is arguably the BEST show we have have ever seen on a Seabourn ship.  One of the Seabourn singers became ill and Robert and some of the performers put together an impromptu 
"variety show" mid afternoon to be performed just a few hours later.  And what a show it was!

It began with Robert, our cruise director, singing several of his favorite songs--from opera to musical theater.  Robert has a wonderful voice and presence on stage.  He was followed by John Barron, the corporate cruise director, who also sings beautiful and is quite the performer.  Two of the Seabourn dancers, Oleg and Yuliana, were next.  They are exceptional dancers and so much fun to watch.  They have true talent and I know they have worked hard for years to reach near perfection in their dancing.  After the dancers, the Seabourn Singer Daniel performed several of his favorite songs--showing us what he can do.  He has an amazing voice.  

We are still talking about this show this morning--it was THAT good!  I do wish we could see more shows like this one!  

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

Really enjoy following your adventures.  Thanks!  Was on a Sojourn voyage last November which Daniel was also onboard. Yes, his voice is fantastic!  We spoke with him on the ship and found out he grew up 30min from where we live.  The world is definitely small.

Back from a short trip to the Lake District, so it is good to catch up with the  reports.    You were lucky to have some nice weather in Bergen; it is lovely, but not so much fun going round in the rain!  Gorgeous pictures.

Thank you for the uplifting reports from Sojourn, it is good to know she can still provide  really good cruises with most things going well.

Thank you so very much for your well-written, thoughtful writings as well as your fabulous photographs. We have virtually the same 28-day cruise next year, so your information has been invaluable to us.  Safe travels home!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Thank you so very much for your well-written, thoughtful writings as well as your fabulous photographs. We have virtually the same 28-day cruise next year, so your information has been invaluable to us.  Safe travels home!

We are doing the July norway cruise next year…will that one be part of your cruise?   It’s been so long since we cruised together!

we really enjoyed the 14 day Iceland and some England that SLSD was on.  For the most part, we had very good weather 

Nancy