Engineering behind the Rising Tide?

I just got off allure, and finally decided to ask Cruise Critic a topic that'd been bugging me for years. I know they omitted the rising tide fountain on the later oasis class ships (as I call them gen 2 and 3), but the engineer in me always wondered how the fountain worked.  My 2 theories are the fountain have a holding tank at the bottom and shoot the water up in a jet to make that effect, or is there a holding tank on the tide itself and the water is gradually dropped.  I thought some of my fellow cruise critic members would finally have an answer for my curiosity 😀. Thanks all. 

Being an ex engineer, these sort of things interest me too!

We were recently on Oasis and I studied the fountain a few times. My conclusuion is the jet shoots up and rebounds from a 'cup/dome' in the bottom of the bar, to be deflected back down. To engineer a system that would require a holding tank, seems like an architects solution... (speaking as an engineer, the only good architect is a dead architect!!😁).

Simon

• Haha 3

We have been on the Wonder for 14 weeks this year (many B2B's)...

I can tell you that on each turnaround day there is a team of folks wearing different colored coveralls who descend on the basin when the tide is elevated. they have access areas where they go below. I have sat and watched the process a couple of times. 

They have 60 minutes to complete the work. The red coveralls appear to be electrical as those two guys work in the switch boxes (there are three). The blue coveralls seem focused on the water pumps as they go down and quickly inspect seals, etc. The white coveralls do cleaning of the basin, inside glass railing, etc.

They all vacate the basin, run a test and return it to service in one hour. It is quite the dance..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

I can tell you that on each turnaround day there is a team of folks wearing different colored coveralls who descend on the basin when the tide is elevated. they have access areas where they go below. I have sat and watched the process a couple of times. 

They have 60 minutes to complete the work. The red coveralls appear to be electrical as those two guys work in the switch boxes (there are three). The blue coveralls seem focused on the water pumps as they go down and quickly inspect seals, etc. The white coveralls do cleaning of the basin, inside glass railing, etc.

They all vacate the basin, run a test and return it to service in one hour. It is quite the dance..

Sounds like a perfect reason why they aren't adding any more rising tides.

1 hour ago, Bead Pirate said:

Wonder, Harmony and Symphony don´t have the water fountains under the Rising Tide Bar. It´s only on Oasis and Allure.

steamboats

I dont like the background noise the fountains make .

The water streams also add to the humidity level in the space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

I am pretty sure the Rising Tide on Wonder does NOT have the water feature

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bead Pirate said:

Then perhaps the pumps they are looking at have another function?

The bar is essentially an elevator platform that is raised and lowered by hydraulic pistons. If a seal is defective or one of the pumps that provide the hydraulic pressure is inoperable, the tide either won’t rise, or could crash down.

Edited by orville99

12 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Being an ex engineer, these sort of things interest me too!

We were recently on Oasis and I studied the fountain a few times. My conclusuion is the jet shoots up and rebounds from a 'cup/dome' in the bottom of the bar, to be deflected back down. To engineer a system that would require a holding tank, seems like an architects solution... (speaking as an engineer, the only good architect is a dead architect!!😁).

Simon

That makes a lot of sense now, to shoot up and then deflect the water back down. Also explains why I was confused when the flow down wasn’t always even. And the architect comment was my humor for the day so thanks 😂

14 hours ago, loman said:

I dont like the background noise the fountains make .

The noise (especially at guest relations for those working there) was one of the reasons they´ve skipped the fountains. Plus maintenance was pretty high and expensive.

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I am pretty sure the Rising Tide on Wonder does NOT have the water feature

Exactly, only Oasis and Allure have it. All other ships don´t have the fountains anymore.

steamboats