Prepaid Dining: More expensive than on-board?

We will be going on Silhouette to Iceland in a week, and I have been researching dining options. We really want to go to Murano for one evening. From the CC Silhouette review I understand that Murano costs $50 plus 20% gratuities = $60 per person when purchased on board.

When I go to the "manage my reservation" area, it offers me to now book Murano "at a 5% savings" at €62.80 = $68. (Plus, I am not sure if the gratuities are coming on top of this?) Am I doing the math wrong or why is the pre-booking $8 (13%) more expensive than booking it on board? 

The Murano price is the full price on line you see less the discount, occasionally, I have not see it my last 3 cruises they do order shipboard discounts.  Discounts onboard I use to get pre covid but since the start up I have not seen any overall.  

• Like 1

if you book ahead you will have the date and time you prefer, if available..perhaps any price adjustment can be made on board the ship.

we pre-book our main Specialty dining.. & use the E + discount for a lunch or extra dinner on board..esp if we  not  AQ Class  in BLU

We sailed on the Eclipse a few weeks ago. There was no first day dining discounts like years ago. We had OBC so used it at Murano. It was awesome.  My husband said it was one of the best meals he ever had. Service was exemplary. But pricey at $144 plus drinks unless you have a beverage package.

Our experience has been that there has always been "sales" in specialty restaurants. Not the first couple of days but after a few days.

They have been announced (not on the dailies) and/or at the restaurant itself in the early afternoon.

Same goes for stuff from the shops. Last few days of the cruise they have "sidewalk" sales

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Plus gratuity. 

You are right. The $50 information has been outdated.

Nevertheless, it is still true that $60 plus gratuities on board is cheaper than the current "sale" of €62.80 (= $67.40) plus gratuities pre-cruise. I think I will refrain from pre-booking a "savings package" and then check on board for availability and potential further discounts.

It's really impossible to say.  In years past, you could almost always secure a cheaper rate when onboard.  In the past couple of years, it is a rare situation where I see staff walking around trying to sell specialty dining for a discount.  Not saying never, but it certainly is not something I've commonly seen, and I've done around 20 cruises in the past couple of years.

14 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It's really impossible to say.  In years past, you could almost always secure a cheaper rate when onboard.  In the past couple of years, it is a rare situation where I see staff walking around trying to sell specialty dining for a discount.  Not saying never, but it certainly is not something I've commonly seen, and I've done around 20 cruises in the past couple of years.

Same here the only significant discounts we have seen were on our 18 N TP, where late in the sailing it was easy to get 35-40% off on some restaurants.  Eden & Cut discounts were not as generous.  Our 7 10 day sailing  on E class the discounts have been 10% but again not on all restaurants.  
Our last S class cruise was before ships were sailing full.  Full ships equal lower discounts.