Just when I thought there was nothing else to cut

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Really just a bunch of little perks. Nothing to get excited over, but nice none the less. I was told the food budget had been increased and given we had unlimited lobster served at the buffet multiple occasions I tend to believe it.

I wouldn’t book a legendary for the perks, but did enjoy some of the extras. Here’s a thread where several folks discussed legendary perks 

Anything is appreciated

• Like 2

On 8/1/2024 at 4:05 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Ridiculous.

How long is it taking you to get thru meals? I'm a two course chicken and anything over 1.5 hours is miserable (ADHD). 

I'm at critical mass when I've been there for 1 hour.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2024 at 12:12 PM, Mary229 said:

We tried anytime dining as we are dissatisfied with the fixed seating time slots.   We have attempted to secure a reservation for a fixed time throughout the cruise. It ended up requiring us to have the hotel manager set our reserved time but still don’t have a set table.  We have yet been able to walk up and be seated.  It is beyond frustrating.

We like open dining but on the last GWV on Zuiderdam it seems SEVERAL different groups of people always had the same tables at the same times every night.  Invariably, they were highly desired tables in the back or by the side windows etc.  When we asked how we could sit there sometime we were told "you have to reserve them". So I said, "OK, we'd like to reserve one for tomorrow"  I was met with a blank stare and no reservation.  BTW, we DID give the Maître D and the AM $20 each early in the cruise because they were great otherwise but what is the point of having "Anytime Dining" on deck 2 if HAL is just going to "reserve" the best tables for a chosen few? BTW, many times the "favorite" tables sat unused because the anointed ones didn't even bother to show up.  They held the tables open "just in case".  If people want to reserve a table, they should do fixed dining like they are supposed to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

If people want to reserve a table, they should do fixed dining like they are supposed to.

This is the key issue.  When people never show up it is not only the table it is all of the crew set aside for them.  HAL needs to have rules and enforce them.  1. Give the table away after 15 minutes, 2. Give the table away permanently after 3 days or so of no show. 

The MDR is less than half full most nights we have waited 20 minutes for a table. That is what truly irks me

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

We like open dining but on the last GWV on Zuiderdam it seems SEVERAL different groups of people always had the same tables at the same times every night.  Invariably, they were highly desired tables in the back or by the side windows etc.  When we asked how we could sit there sometime we were told "you have to reserve them". So I said, "OK, we'd like to reserve one for tomorrow"  I was met with a blank stare and no reservation.  BTW, we DID give the Maître D and the AM $20 each early in the cruise because they were great otherwise but what is the point of having "Anytime Dining" on deck 2 if HAL is just going to "reserve" the best tables for a chosen few? BTW, many times the "favorite" tables sat unused because the anointed ones didn't even bother to show up.  They held the tables open "just in case".  If people want to reserve a table, they should do fixed dining like they are supposed to. 

Aloha. Agree with you. On a gwv A couple actually had another couple moved from " their" table.

Sorry but I am going to disagree with you on the GWV dinner conversation. You need to understand that a majority of people on that cruise are repeat customers, many of whom go every year. They reconnect with other passengers and with many staff members with whom they have become true friends. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a "normal" cruise.

I challenge you to find any business, especially one who needs return customers willing to spend what they do every year, that doesn't go out of their way to accommodate them. Allowing them to select a table for dinner doesn't seem to be that big a deal. The ship knows they will be there every night because they have been doing it over and over every year.  

Think the biggest problem are the unreal expectations that are created by calling it anytime dining (or whatever it is called). It is not. They are trying to cater to the many on the GWV who prefer fixed dining while at the same time dealing with passengers who want what they want when they want it. All with a limited number of tables and staff. When these two things collide someone will not be happy. My guess is that you would make the same decisions that the cruise line does about how to prioritize their customers. May not be what you like but it makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

This is the key issue.  When people never show up it is not only the table it is all of the crew set aside for them.  HAL needs to have rules and enforce them.  1. Give the table away after 15 minutes, 2. Give the table away permanently after 3 days or so of no show. 

The MDR is less than half full most nights we have waited 20 minutes for a table. That is what truly irks me

I understand how you feel. If you see a full room, you expect to wait. If there are lots of tables available, then it's annoying to wait. 

If a group has managed to get a large table reserved every night, as @kevingastreich saw, and then that chooses not to show up, that is incredibly inconsiderate! At the least, they should let the MD know so that the table can be "released" for others to use.

Failing that, if they don't show up for their "regular" time, the table should be released. Or are they so important that they have been able to stake a claim to the table for the entire night????

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fred321 said:

Sorry but I am going to disagree with you on the GWV dinner conversation. You need to understand that a majority of people on that cruise are repeat customers, many of whom go every year. They reconnect with other passengers and with many staff members with whom they have become true friends. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a "normal" cruise.

True, but a lot of the tables only had 2-4 people sitting there when the tables would accommodate 6+. The dining room sets aside the space for the favorored few whether they show up or not and that inconveniences all the pax in that dining room regardless of how many GWV's they have been on. Also, there was a HUGE number of first time servers on that cruise.  In fact, one morning the person who was supposed to be making the eggs benedict in the Lido had NEVER made any before, I had to guide him through it.  That was surprising.

Edited by kevingastreich
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fred321 said:

Most of those people actually had fixed dining on deck 3.  No problem for anyone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

True, but a lot of the tables only had 2-4 people sitting there when the tables would accommodate 6+. The dining room sets aside the space for the favorored few whether they show up or not and that inconveniences all the pax in that dining room regardless of how many GWV's they have been on. Also, there was a HUGE number of first time servers on that cruise.  In fact, one morning the person who was supposed to be making the eggs benedict in the Lido had NEVER made any before, I had to guide him through it.  That was surprising.

They are in essence demanding two tables for 6+ - the one they failed to show up for and the one they actually used.  Greedy and inconsiderate AND this is why the anytime dining does not work.  All of those reserved tables have an unused wait staff and are empty while others wait in line.  That is just wrong. Of course if fixed dining was at a reasonable hour many more people would opt for it. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Not sure I understand what a "reasonable " hour is. On my last few trips fixed was either 5:30 or 7:30. The early seating was almost always overbooked so I guess that is the popular one. We opt for late seating which is almost always available (except if a large number of Europeans are onboard) and more  relaxing.

You have to realize that they are trying to feed a significant number of people in two seatings. Would 6:00 and 8:00 be more reasonable? That's what it used to be but they changed it to the earlier times, I am guessing, because of customer demand. As I said before real problem is they are trying to be all things for all people and it just isn't possible given space and staffing available.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Agree with you. On a gwv A couple actually had another couple moved from " their" table.

This couple actually had fixed main (late) dining, not open. They have a preferred table.

Edited by sunviking90

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

This couple actually had fixed main (late) dining, not open. They have a preferred table.

Since I spend too much time on this board I remember the conversation.  Originally, a different couple was assigned this table but then they were moved after the first night or so to accommodate the more seasoned GWV couple.  

• Like 2

@Fred321  I seem to remember changes in fixed dining were to accommodate the show times.  7:30 gives late diners the opportunity to go to the late show.  Not all late diners want to go to the show prior to dinner.  I may be wrong.  Cherie

4 hours ago, Fred321 said:

Not sure I understand what a "reasonable " hour is. On my last few trips fixed was either 5:30 or 7:30. The early seating was almost always overbooked so I guess that is the popular one. We opt for late seating which is almost always available (except if a large number of Europeans are onboard) and more  relaxing.

You have to realize that they are trying to feed a significant number of people in two seatings. Would 6:00 and 8:00 be more reasonable? That's what it used to be but they changed it to the earlier times, I am guessing, because of customer demand. As I said before real problem is they are trying to be all things for all people and it just isn't possible given space and staffing available.

It is now 5:15, that is the official time. Yes it used to be 6 and 8, the late diners went to the early show and the early diners went to the late show. Regardless they now offer anytime dining with a promoted option to reserve a time slot.  That is not working, argue all you want but that is what they advertise.  Look at the app, it says make a reservation now.  Making a reservation in my experience does not mean when you arrive you wait 20 minutes to be greeted then another 20 to 40 minutes to be seated. And yes there have been some 1 hour waits for a reserved time slot. If they don’t want anytime dining they could offer the 5 and 7:30 upstairs and the 6 and 8 downstairs 

8 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Anyone else remember when HAL offered four fixed seatings at staggered times?

Once Anytime dining started the fixed option went back to just early and late.

That is exactly what I am going to suggest in my survey.  I know the anytime could potentially work but since it is not they need to reevaluate 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Since I spend too much time on this board I remember the conversation.  Originally, a different couple was assigned this table but then they were moved after the first night or so to accommodate the more seasoned GWV couple.  

Table 66

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Anyone else remember when HAL offered four fixed seatings at staggered times?

Once Anytime dining started the fixed option went back to just early and late.

I don't remember it, but I like the idea.

• Like 2

Yes it seemed like a good system.

I remember it in 2007 and 2008 when I first cruised with HAL.

Shortly thereafter they made the lower floor of the MDR into open seating and started promoting “As you Wish”.

At that point there was no longer a venue for the two intermediate seatings.

2 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Yes it seemed like a good system.

I remember it in 2007 and 2008 when I first cruised with HAL.

Shortly thereafter they made the lower floor of the MDR into open seating and started promoting “As you Wish”.

At that point there was no longer a venue for the two intermediate seatings.

It does seem like an optimal system.  Plenty of options for all.  It seems to me there would still be a bit of room for drop ins also. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I guess I don't understand why HAL has a difficult time assigning tables to those with anytime dining. This is standard practice on every other cruise line I've sailed. The waiters love it.

Most lines also offer some type of technology that will notify you when your table is ready. I didn't try it on the K'dam, but it sounds like HAL doesn't do this? Instead they make you stand around and wait? Is there an old school paging system at least?

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

...Most lines also offer some type of technology that will notify you when your table is ready. I didn't try it on the K'dam, but it sounds like HAL doesn't do this? Instead they make you stand around and wait? Is there an old school paging system at least?

Dec '22 and Feb '23 on K'dam we were given vibrating flashing pagers (like Dive In Burgers uses) when there was a line for As You Wish dining.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Dec '22 and Feb '23 on K'dam we were given vibrating flashing pagers (like Dive In Burgers uses) when there was a line for As You Wish dining.

Old school pagers are better than nothing!

Thanks 🙂

• Thanks 1