Latest check-in time

We are sailing from Tilbury, UK on Aug 17 with a listed sailing time of 8pm.  Today at check-in the latest pier time was 3:30.  We are traveling by train from Windsor and will not arrive until about 4 - will shore staff be there until 2 hours prior to sail away?  Thanks

46 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We are sailing from Tilbury, UK on Aug 17 with a listed sailing time of 8pm.  Today at check-in the latest pier time was 3:30.  We are traveling by train from Windsor and will not arrive until about 4 - will shore staff be there until 2 hours prior to sail away?  Thanks

My first guess would be "no" since 3:30 is the last time listed, but you can contact O or your TA to see if the later time is possible. This may be the port staff's cut-off time in which case O would have no control over it.

3 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

2 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

My first guess would be "no" since 3:30 is the last time listed, but you can contact O or your TA to see if the later time is possible. This may be the port staff's cut-off time in which case O would have no control over it.

I agree @AMHuntFerry.  Since it's an embarkation port, there is lots of paper work that has to be done and the passenger manifest needs to be complete.

1 hour ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Did get an answer from O - be on board no later than 3 hours before sailing so 1600 seems to be the cut off .

I might be missing something but it would appear that 1700 is three hours. Of course I realize you need to leave some padding time. 

@SbbquilterUT

We have never sailed from Tilbury but have from other UK ports. It is my understanding and I could be wrong,  but UK Port Authorities/Security and NOT Oceania make the rules. Can you adjust your schedule to arrive earlier in the day from Windsor? If you can not, can you adjust your schedule to arrive the day prior so you can board earlier on Embarkation Day?
Bottom line, Do Not leave it to chance that you will be allowed to process thru the port at Tilbury whenever you arrive on the train from Windsor because you could be left behind.

We have encountered numerous European  transportation strikes, maintenance delays, Scheduling changes, etc. over our years of cruising and travels and there is no way I am going to jeopardize our “Amazing O Adventure” because I chose to cut my arrival time

too close because the Security people do not care about your schedule; their Rules, their Game, JMHO ! 

Mauibabes

• Like 4

Thanks for the replys.  We are sailing in to Iceland the previous day and flying to LHR.  Have early entry tickets for Windsor Castle (big interest to us).  Tickets on the 11:53 train should get us to Gray's by 14:15 (I build in the hour buffer in the event of delays).  Plans may change by then but hope we can accomplish it all but if something happens we can get in to a very expensive taxi to get to the port.

We docked in Tilbury on Regent a few weeks ago.  The train station is about a mile from the dock.  There isn’t much infrastructure at the train station, so you should prebook transportation from the train station if you have not already done so.

Getting off at Grays rather than Tilbury is the thing to do.  There is a taxi office at Grays - there isn't one at Tilbury.  Distance in the cab will be about the same from either station.

Note that the rail route from Slough (you change there from the Windsor train) into central London has suffered poor reliability recently.  Check status early and often to ensure the trains are running as they should. 

Easiest route is an Elizabeth line train from Slough into London.  This will be headed for Abbey Wood,  Switch at Whitechapel (same platform) to another Elizabeth line train towards Shenfield.  Go one stop to Stratford and switch to the Jubilee, one stop to West Ham.  There you will get the C2C train to Grays.  All these interchanges have stairs/lifts.

Your problem is that if you are in Windsor and things go wrong, a taxi to Tilbury is not a quick option.  You need to get right from one side to London to the other and traffic can be dire.  Your choice whether to still do this but it's too high risk for my taste

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's close to the time & you feel committed to your current plan, but of the six or eight different train segments that I've been on in England during my European vacation this summer, I think one of them has actually been on time. There have been delays, cancellations or disruptions pretty much every day. This doesn't even take into account the fact that your cruise arrival may be delayed. I don't know how many ships are scheduled to be in Southampton when you arrive, but when I got here on the Queen Mary in June, there were four ships and it was an unbelievable debacle. Disembarkation was delayed due to lack of port staff, and I don't think I actually got off the ship until almost 10 AM. Since all train service between Southampton and London had been suspended due to a signal issue, the taxis were having a field day, and the line for that was over an hour long. Uber surge pricing was also having a field day. I think I ended up paying $28 for the ride, but I just didn't feel like dragging my bags a mile and a half. I was fortunate, I had prepaid National Xpress bus tickets to London, because the line there was unbelievable too. it wasn't the most pleasant travel day I've ever had.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2024 at 2:54 PM, SbbquilterUT said:

Did get an answer from O - be on board no later than 3 hours before sailing so 1600 seems to be the cut off .

Being on board may be different than being checked in. Just be clear in your question