Flexible drink perk

Just got my VIFP email newsletter and saw the notice of the new way of handling the free drink perk for gold, plats, &  diamonds. Instead of having to use it on a certain day or in a certain bar, it now can be uaed anywhere and applies of the first drink purchase after boardind. So much simpler!

• Like 3

Does it say you can not use it as the 1st drink?

What if your first drink is a soda or some less pricey drink. 

But still far better than last seaday brunch drink they were doing.. Never used that once.

7 hours ago, CruisinArn said:

But still far better than last seaday brunch drink they were doing.. Never used that once.

John Heald said to just tell the bartender that you don't want to use your free drink on the soda or water or whatever drink you order first if you're not ready to use it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CruisinArn said:

3 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

John Heald said to just tell the bartender that you don't want to use your free drink on the soda or water or whatever drink you order first if you're not ready to use it.

The terms and conditions are clear - the first drink. It is already programmed in. Maybe the bartender can override but I would verify with them, first. Even if they can, nothing says they have to.

One (1) complimentary appreciation drink on 5+ day Cruises. Complimentary drink may be specialty coffee, soda or alcoholic beverage with a value no greater than $16.00 + 18% gratuity ($24 AUD). Redeemable at any venue. Will be automatically applied to the first transaction once onboard. Alcoholic beverages may only be consumed by adults of applicable legal drinking age. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The terms and conditions are clear - the first drink. It is already programmed in. Maybe the bartender can override but I would verify with them, first. Even if they can, nothing says they have to.

One (1) complimentary appreciation drink on 5+ day Cruises. Complimentary drink may be specialty coffee, soda or alcoholic beverage with a value no greater than $16.00 + 18% gratuity ($24 AUD). Redeemable at any venue. Will be automatically applied to the first transaction once onboard. Alcoholic beverages may only be consumed by adults of applicable legal drinking age. 

Why would I say that John Heald said it if he didn't, in fact, say it? 

Screenshot_20240731_064323_Facebook.jpg

• Like 3

I'd imagine it's a simple override but everyone should keep in mind that what John Heald says on social media or in a private message doesn't mean that's how the bartenders are trained.  I can easily see a situation where you order a drink from a newer employee who will go by the book and how they were trained.  

I do wonder if you are allowed to get a drink with a floater if it is under the $16 threshold.  Either way mine will be used on either a Long Island or a Patron Margarita!

14 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

5 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Why would I say that John Heald said it if he didn't, in fact, say it? 

Screenshot_20240731_064323_Facebook.jpg

I didn't say he never said it, although he never said "or whatever drink you order first "

JH doesn't control what a bartender may or may not do.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I didn't say he never said it, although he never said "or whatever drink you order first "

JH doesn't control what a bartender may or may not do.

I said "whatever drink you order first" because the OP mentioned a cheaper drink. 

Also the bartender or anyone on board can't just do what they want to do. If they are trained,  which they are, if they mess up, it can be fixed. Not that big of a deal.

Edited by starstruck05

32 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I said "whatever drink you order first" because the OP mentioned a cheaper drink. 

Also the bartender or anyone on board can't just do what they want to do. If they are trained,  which they are, if they mess up, it can be fixed. Not that big of a deal.

JH didn't mention a cheaper drink. It was if you needed a water or soda when first boarding.

Try ordering something other than a water or soda for your first drink next cruise, and if that doesn't work, try ordering a water or soda and report back how it worked.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

JH didn't mention a cheaper drink. It was if you needed a water or soda when first boarding.

Try ordering something other than a water or soda for your first drink next cruise, and if that doesn't work, try ordering a water or soda and report back how it worked.

My don't order water or soda onboard.  I bring my own or use my loyalty water. The entire point, because it seems to not be very clear to you, is that John said you don't have to use it on your first drink. Referenced was soda and water. I choose not to ask the OP what they meant by cheaper drink but context clues they probably meant like a juice. Take a chill pill. Understand that, asking the bartender to not use your drink perk has been told to the staff and they are aware. That is all. It doesn't need to be a 5 page discussion. If you don't agree ask John or Carnival directly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

My don't order water or soda onboard.  I bring my own or use my loyalty water. The entire point, because it seems to not be very clear to you, is that John said you don't have to use it on your first drink. Referenced was soda and water. I choose not to ask the OP what they meant by cheaper drink but context clues they probably meant like a juice. Take a chill pill. Understand that, asking the bartender to not use your drink perk has been told to the staff and they are aware. That is all. It doesn't need to be a 5 page discussion. If you don't agree ask John or Carnival directly. 

I understand what John said and I know John doesn't make the rules. You are assuming the staff has been told. "I gar-on-tee!" that some people will complain it didn't work. Peace, out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Neither John nor the bartenders program the computer system.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Neither John nor the bartenders program the computer system.

Sigh... why is it on here everything has to be a long winded debate? The system already had the option to remove a drink perk if you don't want to use it. How do I know? Shockingly, John didn't tell me. I know because I had to get it fix myself back when I was Gold under the old perks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So..what does Carnival charge for a Long Island Ice Tea?  If it is over $16...would I just pay the difference or would I pay the total and save the free drink for later? LIIT is always my first choice for a summertime libation.

15 hours ago, Badfinger said:

So..what does Carnival charge for a Long Island Ice Tea?  If it is over $16...would I just pay the difference or would I pay the total and save the free drink for later? LIIT is always my first choice for a summertime libation.

I'm pretty sure $16 would cover it unless you start calling tip top shelf.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Badfinger said:

In May on the Spirit it was $12.25 plus gratuity so a total of about $14.45. That is my free drink of choice also. The fruity drinks don't really seem to have any alcohol to me so it is a no go.

Edited by n6uqqq

On 8/1/2024 at 10:16 PM, Badfinger said:

23 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

In May on the Spirit it was $12.25 plus gratuity so a total of about $14.45. That is my free drink of choice also. The fruity drinks don't really seem to have any alcohol to me so it is a no go.

The free drink limit is $16 exclusive of the gratuity, the way I read it.