Bumped from Cunard Cruise

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But I do wonder what someone’s state of mind must be to assume a series of persons unknown are liars, without, as far as I can see, any evidence.

I guess it's hard to believe cruise angels exist if experience shows they don't, so a response comes in the form of a sort of pooh poohing.

Whatever, it's a win win for the clients of the many excellent agents and quite frankly, I actually couldn't care less what others say as I know how lucky we and the aforementioned clients, are.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, david63 said:

The simple answer about TAs (as with all other professions) is that they are all good - until they are not.

Agreed, they're all excellent until they make their first mistake.

Opinions can soon change.

1 minute ago, S1971 said:

Agreed, they're all excellent until they make their first mistake.

Opinions can soon change.

As I said above, everyone makes occasional mistakes, even brain surgeons probably. It is how they deal with it that is a sign of quality. Blaming someone else or the computer is not good.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

Thank you -  can you please tell me where you you can see those availabilities ?

Two posters interpreted this question to include naming a TA.  My reading is that the OP was simply asking where Miss G (post 115) was seeing open cabins.

8 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Two posters interpreted this question to include naming a TA.  My reading is that the OP was simply asking where Miss G (post 115) was seeing open cabins.

Disregard - I see the issue now.

9 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Alternatively, you haven't found one of the truly excellent Cruise Agents 'out there' in various countries.

Ours is a true diamond. He represents his clients with the utmost dedication and is totally up the the minute with any policy changes  and basically, anything which affects his clients involving which ever the cruise line involved.

He will most certainly not be alone in being such a fabulous agent.

I totally agree.  In the 51 years since our first ocean voyage I have used only three travel agents.  All of them are/were terrific. The only reason we switched was when they retired.

There are incompetent people in all professions.  I am working on an estate of a late friend. The bankers and the accountant are incompetent. Fortunately the solicitor is a gem.  People shouldn't give up on travel agents. My advice is to seek the advice of people whose opinions you trust.

My last two bookings on Cunard were processed by Amex of Canada  as: "Cunard Line - Vancouver."  Previous  bookings said: "Cunard Line - Southampton."  Since the days of paying deposits and balances by credit card my travel agents have processed the payments through Cunard.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As I said above, everyone makes occasional mistakes, even brain surgeons probably. It is how they deal with it that is a sign of quality. Blaming someone else or the computer is not good.

Absolutely, if a mistake is made, they should admit it, rectify it and move on with as little stress to the customer as possible.

• Like 3

We have had the same agent since 2006.  She works for a very large agency.  She resides in a different state than us, and we have only met her once.  

Her agency always offers incentives and perks in addition to what the cruise line offers, so her price is always effectively lower than by going direct.  She is very knowledgeable, and at times has steered us away from a booking we might otherwise have made.  

In a few cases where we have had problems with the cruise line, higher-ups at her agency intervened and got the issue resolved.  In one case, it was resolved in our favor as the agency had a recording of a call between the cruise line, the agency, and me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

I think I see what you are referring to.  My answer to the OP, in that case, would be:  To the left of each line item is a hyperlink to the sailing. (Which I cut from the screenshot so as not to violate T&C’s.) On that page, you will see the available cabins with pricing.

• Like 1

Using third party booking agent websites to assess availability might not always be a good idea.  Sometimes those agencies buy blocks of cabins from the cruise line and resell them, so those cabins are not actually available to other agents to book (or available for direct internet booking from the cruise line).    

14 hours ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

Good news - (I’m waiting for it writing ) TA rang me this morning .  She   as another member on here suggested doing, looked at the different legs of the 28 day cruise and is able to book me different cabins . I’ll have to switch a couple of times , but we’ll at least be on it !  Balcony, as paid for the first two and on the waiting list for balcony for the remaining - but we’re going Yay! So just waiting on written confirmation

Thank you everyone for your support , empathy and advice 😊

I am so pleased for you. I think we were all hoping to hear good news. That must be such a relief. 

You should not have had to go through this but at least you will be able to go on your cruise. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Using third party booking agent websites to assess availability might not always be a good idea.

It’s always a good idea when used in combination with all the other tools available to a consumer.

38 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Sometimes those agencies buy blocks of cabins from the cruise line and resell them, so those cabins are not actually available to other agents to book (or available for direct internet booking from the cruise line).    

Cruise lines can, and do, recall specific cabins out of inventory allotments to assign to a passenger who may request it.  Always good to ask.  

• Like 1

I am with Victoria  . A good Agent is worth their weight in Gold! 
however it works both ways and you need to build this relationship together.

Also it is the responsibility of the client to keep up to date with the booking process at all times 

Glad there has been a solution 

• Like 3

On 8/5/2024 at 10:18 PM, exlondoner said:

Do I follow this? You are saying a series of persons whom you have never met have all lied to V2. Why would they do that? Or I’ve probably misunderstood.

Yes, you have misunderstood. I am suggesting that regardless of how they truly felt the experience with V2's TA went they proclaimed it a great experience. I'm actually suggesting that V2 has polite friends, rather than lying friends.

On 8/5/2024 at 10:28 PM, Victoria2 said:

Wow

So you too know all the folk I've referred to our agent.

Isn't it a small world! 😄

Then you'll know they really are delighted with their new agent.

No- but I know that when someone recommends me something I say thank you and say the experience (if relevant) was excellent, regardless of the reality.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:02 PM, Victoria2 said:

Those who are lucky enough to have found a superb agent can sit back and smile whilst also feeling a little sorry for those who aren't so lucky with theirs.

Just to be clear- I don't use a travel agent. I have never found a travel agent that was able to get a better deal than I could and who was efficient, polite and reachable.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:04 PM, exlondoner said:

But I do wonder what someone’s state of mind must be to assume a series of persons unknown are liars, without, as far as I can see, any evidence.

Again- not liars, just polite.

I am honestly skeptical of any agent who works for one of the major travel companies- I know they're not well trained and face a tonne of pressure (from personal experience working in the industry). Maybe it is different in the UK/US- I'm unsure.

Hmm. A restaurant recommendation which didn't hit the mark, maybe a polite response in order not to offend.

Potentially thousands of pounds on a cruise where the agent 'didn't hit the mark'? Don't think 'politeness' would come into it. Certainly wouldn't with me.

Cruisin'allovertheworld, it's such a shame you are so sceptical.

One day you too might come across a cruise angel, otherwise known as a Cruise Travel Agent.

Until then, remain sceptical and we who have discovered our cruise agent, will continue to be really pleased with the fact we have someone 'there' for us.

ps

our agent does not work for any large organisation.

pps

There are deals out there,sure but then there are agents who might not 'do' deals as such but are 'there' for their clients.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. 🙂

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

No- but I know that when someone recommends me something I say thank you and say the experience (if relevant) was excellent, regardless of the reality.

Really? How ... odd. When friends have recommended a product or service to me that didn't work out, I often let them know the next time the subject comes up. Politely, of course. "I know how highly you think of XYZ, but I had this problem ..."

I'd hate to have them running around looking like fools, recommending a faulty product.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Really? How ... odd. When friends have recommended a product or service to me that didn't work out, I often let them know the next time the subject comes up. Politely, of course. "I know how highly you think of XYZ, but I had this problem ..."

I'd hate to have them running around looking like fools, recommending a faulty product.

I don't think being polite makes someone else a fool- just because I am not happy about something doesn't mean they can't feel differently about it, or have had a different experience themselves. I don't consider anyone a fool for recommending anything if asked- shame that you do! I'd be too nervous to give you a recommendation, in that case.

I am so very happy that OP is now able to at least look forward to sailing, even with the inconvenience of having to move staterooms.  It's a small price to pay for the security of knowing you can once again feel that familiar, wonderful excitement that a future voyage brings.  I have resisted commenting until now, because so many kind people have offered comfort and advice to what seemed an insurmountable problem, but now that we seem to be casting aspersions about TAs when we really don't know the circumstances (I may have missed a point or two when scanning the pages) I feel compelled to make the following observations, as a fellow Australian who regularly books through a trusted TA of too many years to mention:

• Cruise reservation terms and conditions vary significantly from country to country.
  • In Australia, it is normal to pay fares through a TA, if using one, and the TA then forwards the amount to the cruise line.  Many people, of course, choose to book direct with the company.
  • I can never book tours, dining experiences, wifi packages, beverage packages, etc. through "My Cunard" until Cunard receives that final amount.  OP's experience of being able to do that the day after paying their TA the final amount assures me that the fault here is with Cunard Australia, unfortunately.  The fact that "My Cunard" became fully operational on that date is no coincidence.  It is, to me, through long experience, proof that Cunard received the OP's final payment.  It is not the most efficient, or organised, cruise company branch to deal with.  We've had several instances ourselves when dealing direct for minor items after our bookings have been confirmed. 
  • I have absolutely no doubt that as in any profession or industry, there are some inefficient, and even unscrupulous, TAs operating, but the vast majority, I believe, would be like our TA.  She is efficient, loyal, and operates as our Agent, always.  We have her private contact no. for use anytime when we are travelling, should we need her help.  I don't hesitate when DH and I agree a particular voyage looks enticing...I simply call our TA.

We love the Cunard experience, and all that it entails.  Onboard Cunard, however, is quite a different entity to Cunard on land, particularly here in Australia.

Enjoy your coming voyage.  Wishing you smooth seas and fair winds, @Nm hehappysailing     

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I am so very happy that OP is now able to at least look forward to sailing, even with the inconvenience of having to move staterooms.  It's a small price to pay for the security of knowing you can once again feel that familiar, wonderful excitement that a future voyage brings.  I have resisted commenting until now, because so many kind people have offered comfort and advice to what seemed an insurmountable problem, but now that we seem to be casting aspersions about TAs when we really don't know the circumstances (I may have missed a point or two when scanning the pages) I feel compelled to make the following observations, as a fellow Australian who regularly books through a trusted TA of too many years to mention:

• Cruise reservation terms and conditions vary significantly from country to country.
  • In Australia, it is normal to pay fares through a TA, if using one, and the TA then forwards the amount to the cruise line.  Many people, of course, choose to book direct with the company.
  • I can never book tours, dining experiences, wifi packages, beverage packages, etc. through "My Cunard" until Cunard receives that final amount.  OP's experience of being able to do that the day after paying their TA the final amount assures me that the fault here is with Cunard Australia, unfortunately.  The fact that "My Cunard" became fully operational on that date is no coincidence.  It is, to me, through long experience, proof that Cunard received the OP's final payment.  It is not the most efficient, or organised, cruise company branch to deal with.  We've had several instances ourselves when dealing direct for minor items after our bookings have been confirmed. 
  • I have absolutely no doubt that as in any profession or industry, there are some inefficient, and even unscrupulous, TAs operating, but the vast majority, I believe, would be like our TA.  She is efficient, loyal, and operates as our Agent, always.  We have her private contact no. for use anytime when we are travelling, should we need her help.  I don't hesitate when DH and I agree a particular voyage looks enticing...I simply call our TA.

We love the Cunard experience, and all that it entails.  Onboard Cunard, however, is quite a different entity to Cunard on land, particularly here in Australia.

Enjoy your coming voyage.  Wishing you smooth seas and fair winds, @Nm hehappysailing     

Thank you - my anxiety is still high , as I still haven’t received the Cunard booking confirmation code/s  . Maybe just super unlucky this time , as I’ve never experienced such a balls up in 40plus years of travelling . 
And your experience re customisation in MyCunard is what I thought too -only available once final payment was made 🤔. So confirmed fully paid booking & the suddenly cancelled? Missed? 

13 minutes ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

Thank you - my anxiety is still high , as I still haven’t received the Cunard booking confirmation code/s  . Maybe just super unlucky this time , as I’ve never experienced such a balls up in 40plus years of travelling . 
And your experience re customisation in MyCunard is what I thought too -only available once final payment was made 🤔. So confirmed fully paid booking & the suddenly cancelled? Missed? 

Don't be too sure the glitch is at Cunard's end.

Our deposit is paid, obviously but I can access all bookings for drinks, spa, excursions etc on My Cunard for an April cruise next year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Don't be too sure the glitch is at Cunard's end.

Our deposit is paid, obviously but I can access all bookings for drinks, spa, excursions etc on My Cunard for an April cruise next year.

Perhaps in the UK you are able to, but I’m quite certain I’ve only been able to do that once final payment is received.

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Our deposit is paid, obviously but I can access all bookings for drinks, spa, excursions etc on My Cunard for an April cruise next year

I would agree with that in the UK but we are dealing with Cunard Australia where they may operate a different system - perhaps the TA not releasing the booking reference until final balance payment is made. I would be surprised if any Carnival brand IT system was sophisticated enough to differentiate between countries.

If that is a correct scenario then once the TA received final payment they advised the booking reference to the customer allowing access to MyCunard but subsequently there was some issue with the payment being forwarded to Cunard - which could have been anywhere along the chain.

In any event if the final payment confirmation was not received by the TA then the TA is guilty of dereliction of their duty to their customer.

Some features of my.cunard are only enabled closer to departure, such as Alternative Dining options. But things like bedding (twin versus king) can be chosen on the UK site after the deposit is paid.

36 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Some features of my.cunard are only enabled closer to departure, such as Alternative Dining options. But things like bedding (twin versus king) can be chosen on the UK site after the deposit is paid.

Yes, ditto for bedding choice, and dining format request.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I agreed - I would always give (polite) feedback if a recommendation didn’t work out.  I’d also be disappointed if my friends didn’t provide the same to me if they didn’t like my recommendations.  

• Like 1