Bumped from Cunard Cruise

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

how the initial contact came about

17 hours ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

I can say I found it via LinkedIn Australia, and under Carnival cruises

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I understand that, though it is a shame she and her team don’t get the renown. But all credit to them. One thing you may be able to answer is how the initial contact came about, after your TA’s somewhat wishy washy efforts.

I googled Cunard with a variety of combinations as LinkedIn was a little closed to providing exec names. But once I realised Cunard execs in Australia were under the carnival banner, more current names popped up & then able to search for the email address 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What does your TA say about all this? Are they offering huge compensation? And why did they not do all this digging?

I dont know what was occuring behind the scenes.  Cunard exec stated that the TA worked really hard to help bring about the result.  So Im still in the dark what really happened.  Must say Im tempted once I board the ship to see if I can ask the people who scored my original cabin, when and how they gained the booking .

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

Must say Im tempted once I board the ship to see if I can ask the people who scored my original cabin, when and how they gained the booking .

How will you know who they are and where they are. I doubt that anyone on the ship would know what has happened.

It could be that they were offered a significant upgrade to move.

Presumably you had a cabin number originally, so could certainly look them up or leave a note for them there.  It would be very interesting to find out exactly how this occurred in the first place, assuming they are willing to talk, and it is very unlikely to have been their 'fault'.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

I googled Cunard with a variety of combinations as LinkedIn was a little closed to providing exec names. But once I realised Cunard execs in Australia were under the carnival banner, more current names popped up & then able to search for the email address 

Well done!

• Like 1

Must say Im tempted once I board the ship to see if I can ask the people who scored my original cabin, when and how they gained the booking .

When a deposit goes unpaid past the deadline then the computers will allocate the cabin to someone with  a guarantee booking, so guaranteed to balcony but not to a specific stateroom. In other words, the passengers will be blissfully unaware of the back story.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

I dont know what was occuring behind the scenes.  Cunard exec stated that the TA worked really hard to help bring about the result.  So Im still in the dark what really happened.  Must say Im tempted once I board the ship to see if I can ask the people who scored my original cabin, when and how they gained the booking .

I'm so curious about how it happened, too.  It sounds, though, like your TA messed up, or there was in fact a software glitch that the TA didn't notice, so that the payment never went through.  And then Cunard needed to juggle their bookings to correct the error.  But it also sounds like your direct appeal to Cunard helped a lot.  

One lesson I've learned - if you use a TA, choose well! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

When a deposit goes unpaid past the deadline then the computers will allocate the cabin to someone with  a guarantee booking, so guaranteed to balcony but not to a specific stateroom. In other words, the passengers will be blissfully unaware of the back story.

I agreee that the occupants of OP's original stateroom will not know anything about it. I would find it interesting to know when the cabin was reassigned. Does Cunard hold unpaid cabins as a sort of invisible grace period, or do they go into inventory right away?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agreee that the occupants of OP's original stateroom will not know anything about it. I would find it interesting to know when the cabin was reassigned. Does Cunard hold unpaid cabins as a sort of invisible grace period, or do they go into inventory right away?

As you know, I would never wish to be unkind, but if we are talking about Cunard’s admin. and IT, it is hard to imagine anything happening right away.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

I don’t see the upside in contacting the passengers that have your original cabin. While a vast majority of Cunard pax are very nice and open to talking, your question may put them on the defensive and lead to an awkward exchange. 
Go onboard and look forward to a nice time; hopefully you’ll have extra OBC from this drama to get a couple bottles of champagne to cheer that you finally made it. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

I would dive, in-depth, as to the reasons something happened if I worked at the agency or Cunard.  (And I really wish I did, right now!) From a consumer perspective, I would want to know that the issue has been identified and appropriate measures have been taken to prevent a reoccurrence. The TA working really hard to help bring about the result tells me they’ve identified Patient Zero.

• Like 2

In the end, you are Cunard's customer, not your travel agent's. And the relationship between Cunard and their agents is congenial, supportive and yes, to use that old word, that of "partners." I can assert that having put in 42 years in the "travel industry" and, no, I have been happily retired from it for... gosh, a blissful four years now. 

I suggested the OP contact Cunard directly about this oh back on page two of this discussion and pleased he or she did so and achieved the result hoped for. And, more importantly, expected.  It is still Cunard's product, their reputation and you are their customer.  And yes, mistakes happen and there is nothing worse when they effect someone's holiday. I know. 

And yes.. again, Cunard have been doing this since 1840, too. Today, their marketing team wants to ignore that tradition and history. But here, the fact they have been doing this way longer than any travel agency, wins the day.

Enjoy your cruise. You earned it... more than most.  

• Like 5

Please do not pack your past issues for the special cruise. Do not try to see who is in your original cabin. So much worry and angst is now resolved.  Just have fun. 

We booked a cruise some time back on  Silverseas in a specify window cabin. They only had 2 cabins with french balances so the glass will open. But the price was for a window cabin. Unfortunately we lost it after final payment because it was attached to their Grand Suite and the Grand Suite can override our booking and add this cabin to their booking. They tried to put us in a regular window on the desk with the lifeboats. My TA gave them a call and by the end of the day we were upgrades to beautiful balcony suite at no extra charge. 

Make sure you have a TA that is there for You first.  Having a TA that knows the industry and many of the officers within the back offices is a great asset. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 3:13 PM, Nm hehappysailing said:

... And no one contacted me ! I had to find myself by pure chance 

I think this is pretty standard for the industry

When cruises used to be the almost exclusive preserve of the "nearly dead", cruise companies used to make quite a bit of money from people who booked a cruise 18 months ahead and then never confirmed the booking because there were, um, I think you can guess.

They didn't follow this up, it tends to be destressing for the individual's relatives.

On 8/3/2024 at 4:06 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

OP has six weeks planned, and the cruise is only four 4 weeks. There's a limit to how much Cunard or a TA will book for you. I doubt they'll do rental cars or Air B&B.

I always make up my own package, which is why I always insure independently, not through the cruise line. 

I don't see why a TA can't create a package with rental cars.  Though many people wouldn't see the requirement to drive a self drive car for 4 weeks as even coming close to replacement for a cruise.

As to AirB&B, I think you'll find that it's not all what it's cracked up to be. It's routinely no longer cheaper than a hotel nor an immersive experience with a host.  If I were putting together a tour of major cities in Europe, I'd be sticking with booking mid range international hotel chains

On 8/4/2024 at 11:43 PM, southcal68 said:

This is the reason that I never use a travel agent booking a Cunard Cruise.

Yes

I'm confused by the number of people who think that using a TA to book this type of travel is normal.

It's just so trivially easy to book your cruise cabin online, even when they operate in a different country

(apologies to OP, this comment isn't aimed at you) 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 9:16 AM, Poole Boy said:

However in the UK you would have protection if you paid any portion of the cruise price with a credit card you can make a section 75 claim for the whole cost ( up to £30K), you also have ATOL protection if the cruise is part of a package

Only for the return of monies paid

No-one at your CC will run around trying to find you an alternative holiday for the one that you have lost.

On 8/5/2024 at 3:15 PM, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

No. They've told you they're delighted.

I have personally found that any agent I've ever used or consulted with who had 1/2 a brain became a corporate travel consultant.

worked for a company once who had engaged a corporate travel consultant for their travel needs.

they were flipping useless, both at working out the best routing and at getting the best deal.

They (seemingly) chose to book with companies that gave them the best commission.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:32 AM, Nm hehappysailing said:

Thank you - my anxiety is still high , as I still haven’t received the Cunard booking confirmation code/s  . Maybe just super unlucky this time , as I’ve never experienced such a balls up in 40plus years of travelling . 
And your experience re customisation in MyCunard is what I thought too -only available once final payment was made 🤔. So confirmed fully paid booking & the suddenly cancelled? Missed? 

Hm,

I haven't actually got as far as the "pay now" button, but a trial booking of excursions seems to work for my cruise

My final balance isn't due for another 3 months

15 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

Yes

I'm confused by the number of people who think that using a TA to book this type of travel is normal.

It's just so trivially easy to book your cruise cabin online, even when they operate in a different country

(apologies to OP, this comment isn't aimed at you) 

Much, much easier to get someone else to do the work, and sort out any hassles. Just like having someone cut your toe nails.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Much, much easier to get someone else to do the work, and sort out any hassles. Just like having someone cut your toe nails.

😄😅

Not quite the analogy I'd have used but yes, unless 'you' enjoy doing it, and some do, why do the legwork when you can get an expert to do it for you, in consultation of course.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

Until you have a problem of course, then it becomes very difficult to actually speak to someone.

A TA takes that stress away, for me anyway.

• Like 4