Captain's Club: "Discount on Premium Drink Package upgrade when purchased pre-cruise only"

lilalila

I'm Elite on the tier scale (mostly due to my time on Royal ships) and see 15% off the upgrade price.  Is the 15% off the published full price of $15.00 per day or the current sale price of $8.99? 

Do I have to call in to get the discount or is it automatically applied if I'm logged into my account and purchase online?  

Posted (edited)

Typically the published price on the planner is the Celebrity sale price - not the Captain's Club tier price.  As that varies by tier, it would be calculated separately and is, in our experience, based off the full price.

Also you cannot stack discounts - you will pay either the sale price or the Elite discount price, whichever is the lower.  We always call CC and they sort it out and apply the best pricing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As the previous poster mentioned, the discount is usually based on the full price. I am currently Elite Plus with Celebrity. What I have noticed on the website for my last several Celebrity cruises, the website will show the lowest current price available for me for drink packages and WiFi (I look at/buy these every cruise). If the current sale is lower, the website will reflect the current sale price. If the Elite Plus discount is better, it will show the Elite Plus price and display Elute Plus discount on the webpage. As mentioned previously, you can always call to ensure you are getting the lowest current price. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What I have noticed on the website for my last several Celebrity cruises, the website will show the lowest current price available for me for drink packages and WiFi (I look at/buy these every cruise). If the current sale is lower, the website will reflect the current sale price. If the Elite Plus discount is better, it will show the Elite Plus price and display Elute Plus discount on the webpage. 

So the price reflects either the better of the sale price or the CC discount, based on your tier status based on your booking number through the planner?  Did not realize that and thought the price shown was the Celebrity sale price at the time.  Good to know.

Either way, I always call CC to confirm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

So the price reflects either the better of the sale price or the CC discount, based on your tier status based on your booking number through the planner?  Did not realize that and thought the price shown was the Celebrity sale price at the time.  Good to know.

Either way, I always call CC to confirm.

I just noticed this earlier this year. I don’t know if it is something new or if it has been like that for a while on the website and I never noticed it. 

• Thanks 1

Follow-up:  I called the Captain’s Club number and was told the Captain’s Club discount is based on the base price, not the sale price.  So, in my situation, the base price is $15.00 – 15% off (Captain’s Club discount) or $15.00 – 35% off (current “Flash Sale” price).  I chose the latter🙂 

10 minutes ago, lilalila said:

Follow-up:  I called the Captain’s Club number and was told the Captain’s Club discount is based on the base price, not the sale price.  So, in my situation, the base price is $15.00 – 15% off (Captain’s Club discount) or $15.00 – 35% off (current “Flash Sale” price).  I chose the latter🙂 

Yes, it's always been one or the other in my experience. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, it's always been one or the other in my experience. 

I rarely take the drinks package in fact had it 2x on all the Celebrity cruises I've been on and I'm Elite plus. For me its not a good value as many of the premium wines are out of stock. 

22 hours ago, lilalila said:

Another reason for not chasing points on cruise line loyalty programs. The benefits are a joke. 

• Like 1

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

Another reason for not chasing points on cruise line loyalty programs. The benefits are a joke. 

I take advantage of the free laundry on longer cruises. The 240 minutes of free wifi for Elite plus is insufficient. The HH drinks from 5 to 7 are not bad and now include embarkation day.  

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

I take advantage of the free laundry on longer cruises. The 240 minutes of free wifi for Elite plus is insufficient. The HH drinks from 5 to 7 are not bad and now include embarkation day.  

Yes for those who have been sailing many years and have reached the high tiers it pays off. I started sailing with Celebrity when they included the drink and wifi packages so the HH between 5-7 would not entice me.  240 minutes wasn't enough 10yrs ago. Now working passengers are taking cruises while working remotely which requires unlimited. If you book the Retreat all is included so it's a moot point.  As you can see from the above post the discounts for purchases are worthless when they offer a better discount for everyone. This is the new norm for all cruise lines. They are going to have to come up with a program that means something because the average millennials aren't brand loyal. Coupons and discounts work on Boomers like myself.

50 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not for us. We're E+ and definitely use the Happy Hour drinks, the coffees in Cafe al Baccia, the CC breakfast (and Mimosas if we want them), the bags of laundry, the free dry cleaning and the 240 minutes of premium wifi. It all adds up. 

Yes, I'll admit that I'm perfectly happy drinking well liquors. Call me a slob if you want 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Not for us. We're E+ and definitely use the Happy Hour drinks, the coffees in Cafe al Baccia, the CC breakfast (and Mimosas if we want them), the bags of laundry, the free dry cleaning and the 240 minutes of premium wifi. It all adds up. 

Yes, I'll admit that I'm perfectly happy drinking well liquors. Call me a slob if you want 🤣

I'm fine with well brands especially with a mixer. I only get the classic package. It's the limited time frame of 5-7 HH  and the designated venues that don't sit well with me. 

34 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm fine with well brands especially with a mixer. I only get the classic package. It's the limited time frame of 5-7 HH  and the designated venues that don't sit well with me. 

The one think I like about Royal Caribbean Group is that they give you choices -- want your four, five, or six drinks most anywhere, anytime - Royal Caribbean is the cruise line for you.  Want your mimosa's and bilini's with breakfast, unlimited limited choice of drinks in most venue and a place to socialize with fellow loyal cruisers, Celebrity has you covered.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The one think I like about Royal Caribbean Group is that they give you choices -- want your four, five, or six drinks most anywhere, anytime - Royal Caribbean is the cruise line for you.  Want your mimosa's and bilini's with breakfast, unlimited limited choice of drinks in most venue and a place to socialize with fellow loyal cruisers, Celebrity has you covered.  

Yes I would benefit more with a Celebrity status the matches that on Royal but not the other way around. I can wait until I get home to do laundry and we don't dress in anything that needs dry cleaning anymore. I laugh at internet minutes. I don't even read email at home. It's all cruise line mail and other junk mail. I use apps and social media that would eat up minutes faster than I could do anything with.

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes I would benefit more with a Celebrity status the matches that on Royal but not the other way around. I can wait until I get home to do laundry and we don't dress in anything that needs dry cleaning anymore. I laugh at internet minutes. I don't even read email at home. It's all cruise line mail and other junk mail. I use apps and social media that would eat up minutes faster than I could do anything with.

You and I apparently have different approaches.  

I take full advantage of the free two bags of laundry we received as Elite.  I wear predominently wash and wear clothing that does not need dry clearning. I never found the wireless minutes enough.  I did however, make the mistake of booking a suite and now when we sail, we sail in suites so although we get WiFi on the Oasis and Quantum class ships with Royal, we do not get a drink package with any class of ship on Royal.  With Celebrity we get the premium drink package and premium WiFi when we sail in a suite no matter which class of ships.  So for us, Celebrity wins.  The fewer children and more mature guest are just an extra added bonus on Celebrity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Exactly!