Can I add a cabinmate in the middle of my cruise?

Ellipooh

I expect that I’ll have to call my (so far friendly and relatively effective) PVP to get a final answer on this, but I want to know others’ experiences, if anyone has actually tried this.

I’m booked on a March 2025 28-day Round Australia cruise that was also sold in segments. I have a mini-suite that I booked as a solo passenger and thus paid the full supplement.  I can’t determine now if I paid an absolute 100% supplement because the prices have changed and the 28-day is now Sold Out. But I’m sure it was damn close. 

My brother is suddenly available to join me for at least a portion of the 28 days. What are the chances of my adding him to my cabin at a negligible cost? Is it even allowed? It seems like (since I’ve paid 2x fare) I should be permitted to do this, but I don’t know what the rules are. 

Can I add a passenger to my solo booking? Can I add a passenger for less than the full cruise? I expect to need to pay for the Plus package he will get; What additional costs will I incur? Thanks for any additional thoughts and advice.

Posted (edited)

Yes,  call your PVP.    This is too unique and complex to assume that other experiences and thoughts might be correct.

My guess...  Which is not worth the .02 cents...  It sounds like you booked this as ONE voyage/cruise.  It might be necessary to rebook, as segments, so that then you can have your brother and yourself booked in one cabin on the one segment that meets his time and calendar.

Consider yourself lucky if your PVP is able to add him to a part of a current booking.

Just out of curiosity, I would look at how much it would cost you to re-book as segments today.

Booking early has often been the lowest fares.  You might find that fares have gone up considerably since you booked???

compare this to what it would cost your brother to simply book an inside cabin of his own.

Yes, probably double the fare if booking solo???

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the post title, I thought I'd stumbled into the Carnival boards...

I knew a dude who was sailing solo and "got lucky" during his cruise, ending up with a cabin mate of another solo cruiser of the opposite sex.  I was wondering if this was going to be a repeat of that situation.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, DCThunder said:

I knew a dude who was sailing solo and "got lucky" during his cruise, ending up with a cabin mate of another solo cruiser of the opposite sex.  I was wondering if this was going to be a repeat of that situation.

Hah!  I was just about to post a very similar note!!!

• Like 1

One thing too be aware of is that it is possible that the ship is already at it’s limits of passengers due to life boat capacity. Your CVP should know

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Exactly where my wandering mind went. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

I expect that I’ll have to call my (so far friendly and relatively effective) PVP to get a final answer on this, but I want to know others’ experiences, if anyone has actually tried this.

I’m booked on a March 2025 28-day Round Australia cruise that was also sold in segments. I have a mini-suite that I booked as a solo passenger and thus paid the full supplement.  I can’t determine now if I paid an absolute 100% supplement because the prices have changed and the 28-day is now Sold Out. But I’m sure it was damn close. 

My brother is suddenly available to join me for at least a portion of the 28 days. What are the chances of my adding him to my cabin at a negligible cost? Is it even allowed? It seems like (since I’ve paid 2x fare) I should be permitted to do this, but I don’t know what the rules are. 

Can I add a passenger to my solo booking? Can I add a passenger for less than the full cruise? I expect to need to pay for the Plus package he will get; What additional costs will I incur? Thanks for any additional thoughts and advice.

Obviously you will have to call, but I suspect you can, just paying port taxes & fees since you already paid for 2 essentially. 

People miss fights & board late; people occasionally leave cruises early, so systems are in place.

I imagine it won't be an issue.

I will be curious to see how it works out.

• Thanks 1

I too hope to hear how this works out!!!

am NOT a huge expert...  But general information tells me this...

If people miss flights, that is a totally different thing.   This is covered by Princess, or third-party insurance.   If you don't have insurance... then it is all up to you to rejoin the ship.  All authorized thru Princess, so that they expect a new passenger to board.

There are international and post 9-11 laws and policies in place.

Every single passenger must be correctly recognized on the ships Manifest.

Leaving a cruise before the end of the sailing  is another thing, and is possible...  with pre-arrangements.

I have considered leaving a cruise at the last port at Hawaii, to fly back, instead of cruise back.

In that case, there could be a considerable fee involved, if you have not visited a foreign port before returning to the U.S.  Again, the ships Manifest.

I have never heard of arranging to just to join a cruise for X number of days, mid-cruise.

You book a 'Voyage', a sailing that has at Voyage number.

If you want somebody to join you, for one leg,  of a multi leg 'Voyage', then I suspect that this would be booked as consecutive sailings, not as one longer sailing.  And, the additional passenger(s) would book the segment/voyage that they will be on.

This cruise is only Australian ports so no customs/immigration issues.  There are segments but cheaper to do the full 28 nights

If the booking was changed to have the brother join in the embarkation port I can't see any issue in having him leave at any point - there is lots of legit reasons for leaving early.  The cruise would be paid for 2 so why would it be an issue if he arrived several ports late 

• Thanks 1

Just make sure that if your cruise line says that it is OK that you have them confirm it all in writing.  Verbal agreements or contracts are not enforceable.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wayne...  as has been described, there are considerable issues.

I suspect this poster is finding out that they would have to do as the above poster 'dog' mentions.

Leaving early is usually no problem, and is arranged beforehand...  But a 'voyage' and all of the legalities and handling of the ships Manifest could be what dictates.

Again,  if rebooking is required... it might cost less for the brother to book an inside cabin.

Of course, they could still spend most time based in Elipooh's cabin...  But, there is a lot to be said for some extra space, respite, and another bathroom!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1