Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Porto Transfers

alan06

Hello fellow cruise enthusiasts,

I’m seeking advice on the best way to get from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Porto for my wife and me.

Some friends have suggested taking the train, which is quite affordable. For example, it’s around €21.20 for two passengers to travel from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Port. From there, we could catch an Argo bus for an additional €2 each to cover the final leg to the cruise facilities.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Alternatively, booking a private transfer would cost €249, or sharing a ride would be €89 for both of us.

https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/transfer/

I’m curious to hear about your preferred mode of transport to the ship from Rome.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Alan

13 minutes ago, alan06 said:

I’m seeking advice on the best way to get from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Porto for my wife and me.

Some friends have suggested taking the train, which is quite affordable. For example, it’s around €21.20 for two passengers to travel from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Port. From there, we could catch an Argo bus for an additional €2 each to cover the final leg to the cruise facilities.

Alternatively, booking a private transfer would cost €249, or sharing a ride would be €89 for both of us.

I’m curious to hear about your preferred mode of transport to the ship from Rome.

Alan

Hello @alan06 and welcome back to Cruise Critic and the message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted.

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask s Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry was off topic there since it concerns ports in Italy.

To help you out, your thread has been moved to the Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western - Italy Ports forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed from there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Your reasoning is solid, but one question remains...can you manage your luggage on and off the train. If not, your other options come into play.

1 hour ago, alan06 said:

Alan

Feel one should look at the convenience and costs by staying at an Airport Hotel, then take Rome Cabs (or another supplier-shared or otherwise) direct to port.  

The faffing about with cab from Hotel to Station, then trains (steep step up to board train) on/off, dragging luggage, finding seats together (even if booked seats there could be Cukoos and nobody to in authority to remove them), securing luggage with line of sight, there is only one small section per carriage (no overhead for suitcases, no gangway storage, plus one’s seats could be many yards away (out of sight), then dragging luggage around at the destination station, is not considered fun.
Also, when taking into consideration the total cab, train, transport costs, don’t think there would not be much difference between the overnight Airport Hotel then dedicated cab, and arriving in comfort.

• Like 1

The OP talks about a starting point at Rome Termini (which is the main train station).   If you are already at the station, it does make sense to take the train.  One can take a one way regional train for about 4.60 Euros per person (one way).  These trains do not have reservations and run about every hour.  If going mid-day, and starting from Termini (where these trains originate) you would usually have no problem grabbing seats.  No need to pay the bigger bucks for a slightly faster train.

But there is a downside.  The tracks used for the regional trains (to Civitavecchia) are at the far end of Termini, so its a hike within the station (it feels like about 2 city blocks).  But if you can handle your luggage, not a problem.  Once at Civitavecchia you can use shuttle buses or simply grab a taxi (which can take you directly to your pier).  

It does bear repeating that one must always keep luggage security in mind.  We carry a luggage cable lock (like a lightweight bicycle cable lock) that we use if we need to leave luggage at the ned of the car.  You simply secure your luggage to each other and to something solid on the train.  This makes it very difficult for a thief to simply grab your luggage and hop off the train at an intervening stop.

Hank

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's actually three city blocks to the Lazio regional tracks, where you'd get the regionale trains to Civitavecchia.

However, for very little more money you can take an IC or Frecce train from the main trackhead at Termini and have an assigned seat on the train.  Also, for another 6 euro you can take a shuttle bus right from the train station in Civitavecchia to your ship.

To the points already made, the train is not for everyone.  It does take a bit more effort on your part, that's the tradeoff for the cost savings.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It's actually three city blocks to the Lazio regional tracks, where you'd get the regionale trains to Civitavecchia.

LOL, it depends on how much luggage one has.  When I had 150 pounds, it seemed like at least 6 blocks.  With no luggage,2 blocks :).  

On 8/3/2024 at 6:21 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Your reasoning is solid, but one question remains...can you manage your luggage on and off the train. If not, your other options come into play.

Yes, my wife and I can handle our luggage on and off the trains. Thank you for asking.

On 8/3/2024 at 6:17 PM, Host Kat said:

Hello @alan06 and welcome back to Cruise Critic and the message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted.

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask s Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry was off topic there since it concerns ports in Italy.

To help you out, your thread has been moved to the Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western - Italy Ports forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed from there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Hi Host Kat,

Thank you for moving my post to the correct forum.

Yes, it has been several years since I last posted on Cruise Critic. I’m glad to be back in action again.

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2024 at 6:43 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Feel one should look at the convenience and costs by staying at an Airport Hotel, then take Rome Cabs (or another supplier-shared or otherwise) direct to port.  

The faffing about with cab from Hotel to Station, then trains (steep step up to board train) on/off, dragging luggage, finding seats together (even if booked seats there could be Cukoos and nobody to in authority to remove them), securing luggage with line of sight, there is only one small section per carriage (no overhead for suitcases, no gangway storage, plus one’s seats could be many yards away (out of sight), then dragging luggage around at the destination station, is not considered fun.
Also, when taking into consideration the total cab, train, transport costs, don’t think there would not be much difference between the overnight Airport Hotel then dedicated cab, and arriving in comfort.

Thank you for your response.

Considering we're arriving at the airport the day before our cruise and have booked a hotel adjacent to the Roma Termini station, I think we've got a great setup for a convenient journey to the port. Since we'll already be taking the train from the airport to Termini, it's likely just as easy to continue on to the port by train the next day.

That being said, I do appreciate the idea of taking a dedicated transport to the port, such as a private car or taxi, for a more relaxed and hassle-free experience. It's definitely worth pricing out both options to see which one makes more sense for us. Either way, I'm looking forward to a comfortable and stress-free journey to the port with my wonderful wife!

Alan

On 8/3/2024 at 7:37 PM, euro cruiser said:

There are also shared shuttles.  We used this one last fall, 80 euro for two people:  Transfer – Shared Shuttle

This fall I'll be traveling alone, so I'll probably take the train because the shared shuttle, oddly, charges the same 80 euro for one person as for two.

Thanks for your response.

The shared shuttle transfer looks like a great option, especially if you’re travelling alone. I agree, their pricing model is odd, as it is the same for 1 or 2 passengers.

Alan

On 8/3/2024 at 7:32 PM, euro cruiser said:

However, for very little more money you can take an IC or Frecce train from the main trackhead at Termini and have an assigned seat on the train.  Also, for another 6 euro you can take a shuttle bus right from the train station in Civitavecchia to your ship.

To the points already made, the train is not for everyone.  It does take a bit more effort on your part, that's the tradeoff for the cost savings.

Our hotel is about 650 metres from Termini, so the IC or Freccia train seems like the best option for us if we decide to travel by train. We are undecided about whether to use the shared transfer or take the train. There are valid concerns regarding suitcase security on the train if your cases aren’t in sight during the journey. Decisions, decisions! 😊