Pier construction Half Moon Cay

At Half Moon Cay today. Here's a pic of the new pier under construction. It's a mile and a half north of the existing tender pier. Any guesses whether they will move everything closer to the new pier when completed, or will they shuttle everyone a mile and a half to where everything already sits? 

PXL_20240805_163046848~2.jpg

• Like 1

I was wondering that myself when I saw this when we were there. All for a pier vs a tender, but that could be a long walk to the beach area. My guess is they will expand the shopping and offer a shuttle ride, like other long piers do(Bimini). Have to pay for that pier somehow...

i dont mind a long walk on an island with some shade. it is much much better then a long walk on a pier with no shade like what Disney did with their massive long pier at their new island 

@BlerkOne is right. They're not putting this pier in for fun. Anticipate a significant expansion. My only hope is that they don't Disney it. The good news is that this is technically a HAL property and there will be HE double hockey sticks to pay over there if they 'mess with happy' too much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

i dont mind a long walk on an island with some shade. it is much much better then a long walk on a pier with no shade like what Disney did with their massive long pier at their new island 

You are still going to have a decently long walk on this pier before you begin your long walk on the island. I said on another thread that quite often, a pier is a worse situation than tenders. Sure, people like to think they can just come and go with a pier, but it's quite often that the pier isn't exactly in the most convenient location either. I do imagine though that things will change around at HMC with a focus at trying to separate you from your money right near the pier instead of hoping everyone walks all the way down to the current marina area. 

The pier is phase one of a huge renovation of the island. I hope they keep at least some of the island as it is now. But I'm sure they're going to add a lot more development.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DanJ said:

I said on another thread that quite often, a pier is a worse situation than tenders. Sure, people like to think they can just come and go with a pier, but it's quite often that the pier isn't exactly in the most convenient location either. 

I could not disagree more.

I am guessing you have never stood in the blazing hot sun for over an hour to board a tender back to the ship. Or tried to board a tender bouncing on the waves as a mobility-impaired person with a scooter or wheelchair. Or missed a shore excursion because by the time you were able to board a tender to get to shore, the tour has left without you.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

I could not disagree more.

I am guessing you have never stood in the blazing hot sun for over an hour to board a tender back to the ship. Or tried to board a tender bouncing on the waves as a mobility-impaired person with a scooter or wheelchair. Or missed a shore excursion because by the time you were able to board a tender to get to shore, the tour has left without you.

Yes, I have tendered in many places, including HMC, Princess Cays, St Barth's, Belize, Cabo,  St Thomas (which lets you off in a much better spot than either of the cruise ports that I have been to both of). Yes tendering is a pain in the ass. So is walking forever down a sun baked pier that brings you on land in less desirable locations. At a place like HMC, it's not like the ship will be docked alongside land, the pier is going to go way out into the deep water, you can see it in that picture how far it is and it's still being built. It's going to be no picnic getting from ship to shore there, let alone where you go once you actually reach land. Yes I have stood in long lines waiting for a tender, although I found that less of an issue in HMC with their big tenders based on the island, rather than others that used the ship based tender boats (and those were a lot easier to board for people with mobility issues as well). I've also stood in long lines on the pier in many ports baking in the sun waiting to reboard the ship, after a long walk back to the pier.

I wouldn't assume downtown HMC won't shift closer to the pier, or that there won't be transportation provided from the ship to the main drag and beyond. No doubt Diamonds International and Dufry will provide plenty of air conditioned shade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DanJ said:

Yes, I have tendered in many places, including HMC, Princess Cays, St Barth's, Belize, Cabo,  St Thomas (which lets you off in a much better spot than either of the cruise ports that I have been to both of). Yes tendering is a pain in the ass. So is walking forever down a sun baked pier that brings you on land in less desirable locations. At a place like HMC, it's not like the ship will be docked alongside land, the pier is going to go way out into the deep water, you can see it in that picture how far it is and it's still being built. It's going to be no picnic getting from ship to shore there, let alone where you go once you actually reach land. Yes I have stood in long lines waiting for a tender, although I found that less of an issue in HMC with their big tenders based on the island, rather than others that used the ship based tender boats (and those were a lot easier to board for people with mobility issues as well). I've also stood in long lines on the pier in many ports baking in the sun waiting to reboard the ship, after a long walk back to the pier.

Every port I have visited that has at an unusually long pier has had some form of transportation for those who did not want to walk the entire way (jitneys, rickshaws,etc.).  On most occasions, I prefer to walk to help burn off the chocolate melting cake and Guy's burgers I have been eating on the cruise.  A tender ride takes a minimum of 20 minutes if you include the time it takes to load and unload it.  And that's assuming that there is no line to board it.  If the pier is less than a mile long, I can walk it faster than taking a tender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

I wouldn't assume downtown HMC won't shift closer to the pier, or that there won't be transportation provided from the ship to the main drag and beyond. No doubt Diamonds International and Dufry will provide plenty of air conditioned shade.

I am convinced that the first thing Christopher Columbus saw we he went ashore in the New World was a Diamonds International.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

The facts are that it will allow many more people to enjoy a spectacular ship based island, very possible the best of all.  Is it a change?  Sure it is.  Some will dislike it, some will love it, it is what it is.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Every port I have visited that has at an unusually long pier has had some form of transportation for those who did not want to walk the entire way (jitneys, rickshaws,etc.).  On most occasions, I prefer to walk to help burn off the chocolate melting cake and Guy's burgers I have been eating on the cruise.  A tender ride takes a minimum of 20 minutes if you include the time it takes to load and unload it.  And that's assuming that there is no line to board it.  If the pier is less than a mile long, I can walk it faster than taking a tender.

True, I belive that Royal had carts from the pier when I went to their private island in '20.

Haven't been to this island in a few years, so it will be interesting to see the changes when we go next year.  All I am looking for is a nice and relaxing beach day!

22 hours ago, shof515 said:

If you are talking about Lookout Cay, I bet the HMC pier is at least as long as that one. Funny though, I never realized until now that Disney had opened a new port there. It's literally next door to Princess Cays. I know people used to go for walks down that stretch of shoreline to the lighthouse, I guess they can't now. I imagine from a Disney ship docked that you can also see a ship at HMC given it's only 12 or so miles. Last time we were at Princess Cays it was a rainy day so I wasn't able to tell if I could see ships at HMC or if the island was in the way. Kind of spoils the imagery of a private island when you can see several other ships right nearby at their isolated beach paradise too lol.