Splendor London to London. 08/12/2024.

We are going on this one, and spending two nights at JW Marriott Governsor (sp?) hotel pre boarding. My question is about restaurants/pubs in the area.

We are not into fancy dining. We are interested in pub food where locals go. We will have all the up scale dining we want while onboard the Splendor (we hope). So we are asking here about restaurant/pubs in walking distance from this hotel where the locals go. Any advice?

Posted (edited)

I’d definitely recommend the Farm Shop in Mayfair very close to your hotel - there’s a really cute casual wine bar downstairs with a small menu and the food  is really good . We were there this weekend .

IMG_1387.png

Edited by Jchisley

Posted (edited)

There used to be a wonderful Italian restaurant on the west side of North Audley Street between Grosvenor Square and Oxford Street, but I'm not seeing it on the map anymore so it may be no more (even the Starbucks at North Audley and Grosvenor appears to be gone.)

If you haven't already, you should also check out the food hall in the basement of Marks and Spencer at the corner of Audley and Oxford.  Lots of cool British products to discover and a wide selection of ready-to-eat food.  You could always gather supplies for a picnic in Grosvenor Square.   (The big building on the western end of the square used to be the U.S. Embassy.)

Our locals were a bit north of your hotel--in the Marylebone area, not Mayfair.  The Volunteer and the Allsop Arms.  Also went to The Grazing Goat, a gastropub, which is closer to your hotel.

Edited by loriva
Addition

23 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

We are going on this one, and spending two nights at JW Marriott Governsor (sp?) hotel pre boarding. My question is about restaurants/pubs in the area.

We are not into fancy dining. We are interested in pub food where locals go. We will have all the up scale dining we want while onboard the Splendor (we hope). So we are asking here about restaurant/pubs in walking distance from this hotel where the locals go. Any advice?

I think it's walking distance - about 30 minutes to Soho - how about The Dog and Duck?

https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/thedogandducksoholondon#/

Or slightly farther, The Rules.

https://rules.co.uk/

00529_000007807_the_rules_restaurant_in_london_4.thumb.jpg.c33e99f05a270894bd0078dba2887b20.jpg

00543_000007816_margret_thatcher_painting_at_the_rules_restaurant_3.thumb.jpg.b6b8296612ba3054720e193bb197f9e0.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loriva said:

There used to be a wonderful Italian restaurant on the west side of North Audley Street between Grosvenor Square and Oxford Street, but I'm not seeing it on the map anymore so it may be no more (even the Starbucks at North Audley and Grosvenor appears to be gone.)

Loriva - I know exactly that Italian restaurant you're referring to!  But I can't remember the name of it, either! I don't think it's there anymore. Back in my "working days", (20 years ago) I often had many reasons to be at the (old) American Embassy in Grosvenor Square and another "U.S. facility" right across the street from the embassy at the corner of N. Audley (near the statute of General Eisenhower on the corner).  That was a wonderful little place to have a quiet and very pleasant dinner!  I first "discovered" (and fell in love with) Masi Valpolicella wines there!  Thanks so much for bringing back some good memories to me. Best Regards.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

I often had many reasons to be at the (old) American Embassy in Grosvenor Square

Fabulous mid-century modern building designed by the fabulous Finn Eero Saarinen! I read that it is being remodeled as a Rosewood hotel. I wonder if they will keep the eagle.

08179_000043608_us_embassy_on_grosvenor_square_4.thumb.jpg.787ca4c529423db28dac7469ef6952df.jpg

The Chancery Rosewood is scheduled to be opened next year.  https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/the-chancery-rosewood

The USG initially wanted to move the eagle (although it does not fit with the architecture of the new embassy) but the old embassy is a Grade II listed building so limited in the amount of change can be done to its exterior and the eagle was deemed integral to the building.  (And it was also part of the name of the pub located in the basement of the old embassy, the Regal Eagle.)

• Like 1

Hello everyone! Have there been any concerns/changes due to the rioting in London over the past several days? We have the one night pre-cruise hotel in Marleybone next week (Splendour: London to Oslo) and usually we’re too tired after the flights to do a whole lot but I was curious if anyone had experienced any of the unrest taking place.

Thanks very much.

7 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

Have there been any concerns/changes due to the rioting in London over the past several days?

There hasn;t been any.  There was one instance of some louts near Downing Street a few days ago.  Nothing since

Well, we boarded the Splendor on 08/12 2024. There was no problem with protesters. But onboard there have been some. It is now night, and we have yet to have our mini fridge set up as we requested. Dining in the Compass Rose, we weren’t shown the dessert menu. I have spoken to several members of the service crew. For many it is their first cruise. Is that what I paid for?

4 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, we boarded the Splendor on 08/12 2024. There was no problem with protesters. But onboard there have been some. It is now night, and we have yet to have our mini fridge set up as we requested. Dining in the Compass Rose, we weren’t shown the dessert menu. I have spoken to several members of the service crew. For many it is their first cruise. Is that what I paid for?

Hope they will be seasoned by next cruise when we will be onboard,Richard.

In any event hopefully it is better than the Silversea waitresses who served me the salad with her fingers touching the leaves! 

Hope things improve fast.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

We just got home, were on Splendor from July 25-August 12.  I will say that the food service was EXCELLENT.  It greatly exceeded our expectations and experience on Explorer last September in Alaska and that was pretty good except Compass Rose.

Ate Dinner in Chartreuse five times, in Pacific Rim, four times, Prime 7, three times, Setti Mari, two times, Compass Rose, two times  and a GREAT Gala pool-side BBQ.  On an 18-night cruise if willing to share, additional reservations were easy. 

Compass Rose was excellent the last time with a prix fixe dinner.  My wife is a pescatarian and we made a comment on the mid-cruise questionnaire that certain items were pre-made and she wanted a substitution.  They assigned a manager (Abigail) who was fabulous and who arranged for special meals on a couple occasions including a vegetarian lasagna in Setti Mari.  

Our mini-bar was sorted out by the start of day two, but without asking, a bottle of bourbon was waiting on me upon boarding (as it was requested on our prior cruise).

It was not perfect and we had negative issues with two missed ports and a late arrival in Honfleur which caused us to miss a pre-paid excursion to Normandy, but there was absolutely nothing to tarnish the experience from a nine out of ten) except the airline experience home.  I am hopeful your experience changes.

Edited by Bruce61

During the previous cruise there was a changeover of staff with many young staff coming on board, some of whom seemed less experienced.  On the whole though the service was excellent but we felt the staff struggled with the pool BBQ, as there was a lot of furniture moving required.

On 8/5/2024 at 10:42 PM, Dolebludger said:

Inquiring minds want to know--did you find what you were looking for in dining pre-cruise?  Any you would recommend?