Celebrity Suite vs. Royal Suite on Summit

So, were trying to decide on upgrading our current Celebrity suite on Summit, 7138, to a Royal Suite, all pretty much open, but we would have to move down a deck to 6.  We know its a small ship, but 6 seems really close to the life boats and the main promenade deck. They Royal cabins are also above the main dining room.  Its only about $1k for us to upgrade to the Royal, but we are trying to weigh the larger cabin and additional suite perks to being on deck 6 and not having that large circular balcony that we have on the celebrity suite.  Any thoughts on either of these suites that people have already sailed in?  

thanks

• Like 1

For $1000, assuming that's at least a week, it's a no brainer. They're aft of the life boats and above anything is a non-issue. It's a great cabin, a great balcony, it comes with great perks, and you will notice the difference in service being in an upper suite.

• Like 6

We really like royal suites on summit have had #6140 the last 3 or 4 years, great perks , free specialty restaurants. Your choice of two liters of liquor, bottle of champagne. Butler will restock fridge daily with your choice of beer, soda and mixers. Suite has large bathroom double sinks, jacuzzi tub, separate shower . Large tv is bedroom and living room . Large balcony with a couple of lounges, table and chairs and hot tub. Also dinning room table for four in living room.

• Like 2

We sailed in a CS on Summit and a RS on Millennium. I recommend the RS for the reasons cited by George C & Rich Yak. Having a separate shower and half bath are nice too. The balcony on the CS is not much compared to the RS balcony. Just long and narrow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The balcony on the CS is not much compared to the RS balcony. Just long and narrow.

For those that remember back far enough - the CS balconies were an 'afterthought'. 

@20165

You definitely want to consider what you may normally want to do for specialty dining.  Though you say it will cost you $1000 more, remember that you get specialty dining as a perk - no cost, so you can subtract that from the total.  Don't know the length of your cruise, but in a Royal suite, you also get free laundry and 'dry cleaning', so you can subtract any of that from the price as well.  Persian Garden is now free to Royal+ (a recent change).  You get free gelato at the gelato bar.  Keep subtracting.

Besides a much nicer use of space and more of it, give the above items a thought or two when computing how much of that $1,000 you would have already spent on things that come with the Royal suite.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We sailed in a CS on Summit and a RS on Millennium. I recommend the RS for the reasons cited by George C & Rich Yak. Having a separate shower and half bath are nice too. The balcony on the CS is not much compared to the RS balcony. Just long and narrow.

Unfortunately M class doesn’t give you a extra half bath for royal suite.

• Like 2

Just now, George C said:

Unfortunately M class doesn’t give you a extra half bath for royal suite.

We've had that on S class, but really don't miss it that much on M class, though under 'certain' circumstances, it can be 'convenient' to have the separate area (TMI).  The M class bath is very large, and we certainly don't run into each other in there!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

RS also gets monogrammed pj’s. Be sure and order up at least one size… they shrink. 

Yeah, supposedly.  On our two most recent Celebrity cruises (2021, 2022) for 29 nights in a RS, we got nada.  Not that we needed or wanted any PJs, but they weren't even offered, much less monogrammed.  Will see this Fall when we make another X RS run whether the shoreside concierge mentions it.  Figure we'll hear from them in another 60 days or so (30 days out seems to trigger the email).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yeah, supposedly.  On our two most recent Celebrity cruises (2021, 2022) for 29 nights in a RS, we got nada.  Not that we needed or wanted any PJs, but they weren't even offered, much less monogrammed.  Will see this Fall when we make another X RS run whether the shoreside concierge mentions it.  Figure we'll hear from them in another 60 days or so (30 days out seems to trigger the email).

We also didn’t get them on last couple of cruises but did get several in the past , they also used to give us the very nice bathrobes .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

That’s crazy!  We were only on a 4 nighter and got them. The shoreside concierge asked us in advance for size and monogram letters. 

19 minutes ago, George C said:

... they also used to give us the very nice bathrobes .

Your butler will still 'wink, wink' on the bathrobes, but who has the extra suitcase space (or weight allowance) to take a pair of THOSE home?  One size fits all - including the Incredible Hulk. 😵 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That’s crazy!  We were only on a 4 nighter and got them. The shoreside concierge asked us in advance for size and monogram letters. 

We got almost exactly the same email on both previous cruises - no PJs mentioned.  This one was from late 2022 (we defected to SS for 2023):

The Celebrity Cruises family is delighted you have chosen to sail with us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Reflection soon.

As your vacation is just around the corner, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Terrikka, and I will serve as your dedicated Shoreside Retreat Concierge. I work hand in hand with the Concierges onboard to make your Celebrity experience as carefree as possible, and I am happy to assist you in any way I can.

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions or concerns regarding your upcoming sailing. In preparing for your arrival there are a few items that I would like to notate in your file. Please provide the following information so we can make sure all your needs are planned for:

Are you celebrating any special occasions?

Do you have any allergies we need to be made aware of?

Would you like any extra hangers, pillows, blankets, etc..?

Expected arrival time on embarkation day Preferred departure time (this will run until 9:00-9:30 am) Day of sailing contact number Number of bags

As guests in one of our top suites, I am delighted to let you know that you will receive unlimited complimentary Specialty Dining. Arranging for your dining plans before sailing will give you more time to relax and enjoy the Celebrity Reflection. Please find the attached sample menus for our Specialty Restaurants aboard the Celebrity Reflection to give you an idea of what each of them offer, and please note menu items may be slightly different. Please note, for Le Petit Chef we offer two dining times each evening, 6:00 pm and 8:30 pm. There are three different menus for Le Petit Chef which I have attached to this email.

Additionally, we are pleased to offer a complimentary minibar that is stocked daily, as well two complimentary bottles to enjoy during your time with us. As I would love the opportunity to have these Suite Class Amenities available to you upon your arrival, kindly choose from the attached liquor list.

In case the liquor is not your preferred option we can substitute with a bottle of wine, we carry a variety of Merlot, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc.

For your minibar we offer Coca Cola products, Premium bottled water, Evian, San Pellegrino, Red Bull, Juices, Iced Teas, Vitamin Water, and a variety of beer.

On a separate note, we now offer our Online Check-In through our Celebrity Cruises App. This will truly take your check-in experience to the next level. We highly recommend that you complete your Online Check-In through the App as this will help expedite you at the pier. If you need any assistance, do not hesitate to reach out to me.

To Check-In:

- Download the Celebrity Cruises app to your mobile device, which is available for Android or iOS

- Create or Sign In to your Celebrity Cruises Guest Account

- Check in to your cruise right on the app! There you will scan your passport and add your photo to ensure that you have an expedited arrival

For the most updated travel requirements you may visit:   https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/travel

Kindly indicate your preferences by e-mail or calling me directly. My office hours are Monday through Friday 6:00 am to 2:30 pm CST. If you have an urgent matter and I am unavailable, feel free to call our Retreat Desk at 1-877-738-7328 option 3 seven days a week between 6:00 am and 9:00 pm CST. One of my colleagues will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Reflection!

Sincerely,

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, canderson said:

Your butler will still 'wink, wink' on the bathrobes, but who has the extra suitcase space (or weight allowance) to take a pair of THOSE home?  One size fits all - including the Incredible Hulk. 😵 

I am 6’4” and weigh 270 so they were no use to me but wife liked them . And who would want more than one . 

18 minutes ago, George C said:

I am 6’4” and weigh 270 so they were no use to me but wife liked them . And who would want more than one . 

Sounds like you have Dr. Banner beat, but my money is still on the Green guy in a street fight!

I found that a new one was quite heavy - literally - and would have been more comfortable in a walk-in cooler than a sauna.  Pretty sure they must weigh close to 10# (that's 0.714 stone to you xmetricx types! 😄)  Some pretty impressive fabric.

• Haha 1

well, sounds pretty unanimous, thanks for the input.  Any recommendation on which one?  They all seem to be open per the website.  But they all pretty much look the same.  

thanks again

34 minutes ago, 20165 said:

well, sounds pretty unanimous, thanks for the input.  Any recommendation on which one?  They all seem to be open per the website.  But they all pretty much look the same.  

thanks again

Depends upon your itinerary.  It might make a difference to port/starboard, but that's not a 'suite' thing.  Other than that, they're all pretty well clustered.  The two closer to the aft elevator have never seemed any noisier than the others, so can't even distinguish it that way.  For no particular reason, we seem to prefer the left side entrance (33/38/39/42).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Did anyone mention the hot tub on the deck?  We have yet to use them but they might appeal to you,

You'll be spoiled!

We have done 4 cruises with hot tub on balcony and have yet to use it.

• Like 1

Mentioning the pjs. The 2022 cruise we were told there were shipping issues and we did not get one. The 2024 ABC cruise we just got off on July 21, we did get monogram pjs and I would definetly recommend a size up.

Posted (edited)

Another feature of the royal suite vs. the celebrity suite is that you do not have to go through the bedroom to get into the bathroom.  If someone were taking a nap, that could be annoying.  And the royal suite has a separate tub and shower.  To me, it's no contest.  The one time I was booked in a celebrity suite, I upgraded to a royal suite for not much more and have never looked back.  It's literally no contest.  Go for it.  And you definitely want to be on deck 6 in suiteland on the Summit.  That's where the good butlers get assigned.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Another feature of the royal suite vs. the celebrity suite is that you do not have to go through the bedroom to get into the bathroom.  If someone were taking a nap, that could be annoying.  And the royal suite has a separate tub and shower.  To me, it's no contest.  The one time I was booked in a celebrity suite, I upgraded to a royal suite for not much more and have never looked back.  It's literally no contest.  Go for it.  And you definitely want to be on deck 6 in suiteland on the Summit.  That's where the good butlers get assigned.

Not necessarily, we had some great butlers on sky suites and a very mediocre one on first royal suite .