Thinking of trying Viking

forgap

We have many days (200+) on Regent and we have tried Oceania, Ponant, Celebrity, and NCL.  We have enjoyed the all inclusive aspect of Regent but lately the fares have become eye-watering.  Add to that, Regent is not so inclusive anymore as they have moved to more a la carte options.  So, we are thinking of trying Viking in 2025.  

I have a few questions that I hope you Viking veterans can answer!

1.  Is the $17per day tip that is added on to the cruise per cabin or per passenger?

2.  We are looking at a Penthouse Veranda that includes alcohol in the cabin and welcome champagne.  Can the mini fridge be stocked with champagne and wine as needed?  Do the mini bottles of alcohol include digestif types of booze such as cointreau or brandy?

3.  Is the alcohol package worth it?  We like a pre dinner drink but we never over do it, except my nature is to try to get my money's worth!

That's it for now.  Any insider tips are welcome!

16 minutes ago, forgap said:

We have many days (200+) on Regent and we have tried Oceania, Ponant, Celebrity, and NCL.  We have enjoyed the all inclusive aspect of Regent but lately the fares have become eye-watering.  Add to that, Regent is not so inclusive anymore as they have moved to more a la carte options.  So, we are thinking of trying Viking in 2025.  

1.  Is the $17per day tip that is added on to the cruise per cabin or per passenger?

2.  We are looking at a Penthouse Veranda that includes alcohol in the cabin and welcome champagne.  Can the mini fridge be stocked with champagne and wine as needed?  Do the mini bottles of alcohol include digestif types of booze such as cointreau or brandy?

3.  Is the alcohol package worth it?  We like a pre dinner drink but we never over do it, except my nature is to try to get my money's worth!

Vikng has some of the cheapest drinks packages in the industry. If you drink a couple of cocktails a day it is worth it even if you only drink the free beer and wine at meals. The $17 per day is added to the amount owed during the cruise per person per day. The fridge will be restocked with tiny alcohol bottles but not with Champagne or wine. Not exactly sure which tiny bottles they are using now. The PV is nice for room size vs V but not really necessary unless you can afford the upgrade!

• Like 3

1. Per passenger, but it is optional

2. There is a bottle of Champagne included, but not replaced without cost. Beers are included and replaced daily, Spirits will be Gin, Scotch, Bourbon, and Vodka - that's all they have in the mini bottles. You can ask to have any mix of those 4 that you like, but there's nothing else available.

3. Two glasses of the Champagne included on the drinks package is more than the daily cost - but there's also beer and wine with meals and they're very generous. If your itinerary gives you sea days, or longer evenings to enjoy aboard, we've found the Silver Spirits package to be good value and liberating - as we can try a cocktail to see if we like it without worrying about the cost. On the other hand, onboard bar prices are very reasonable.

Lots of information for first timers here, and most questions have been asked and answered several times before - so feel free to read up 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a financial (only) perspective, the SSBP does not make sense unless you BOTH will drink more than 2 drinks outside of the free beer and wine at meals EVERY DAY. Others have reasons for wanting it anyway, which is of course their choice.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

Lots of information for first timers here, and most questions have been asked and answered several times before - so feel free to read up 🙂

Well, at least I didn't ask about the dress code!  😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

29 minutes ago, forgap said:

Well, at least I didn't ask about the dress code!  😇

Given the OP's prior cruising experiences, I suspect knowing how to dress is not an issue. Who knows, they may dress nicer to do yard work than some do for dinner.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, forgap said:

We have only used a PV when sailing with Viking and don't like the layout of the lower categories (closet along one side of the bed) as it has adequate storage to fully unpack our luggage (usually one each 27" trunk and one shared carryon), whereas a DV or V would be tight for us on a two week cruise. We also like the deck 4 & 5 locations (also available on deck 6 but we now avoid these since public spaces are on deck 7) for the PV staterooms. We have sailed Oceania Vista in a veranda stateroom (sized in between Viking PV and DV), which we found adequate for storage (especially due to the drawers/cabinets in bathroom) an feel it was better configured than Viking's DV/V (these staterooms are same sized - location and inclusions differ). I've been looking into Regent (with tissue in hand 🥲) and their smallest staterooms (on all but Navigator) are larger than a PV, so I suspect you may find a DV/V would feel cramped, though many of the Viking faithful prefer these smaller cabins. Great for me since the PV categories are often the last to sell out and I can wait until closer to embarkation to book and get around Viking's aggressive PIF requirements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, forgap said:

Another benefit to the PV compared to the DV/V is earlier booking of shore excursions. Viking offers one included excursion per port (even if two days with an overnight). These are either a large coach bus tour or a walking tour, both with guides. Although I have not experience a Regent included excursions, from what I have read, Regent cruisers may find Viking's included excursions underwhelming. But if you sail with Viking, I recommend giving the included excursions a try as there is often time to do both an included and optional on the same day.

PV guests are able to book excursions earlier than over 60% of pax (those in DV/V staterooms). For our upcoming Cities of Antiquity cruise in October 2024 we were able to book every excursion we wanted (combo of included and optional) at the times we preferred. Not one excursion was sold out when we booked on the first day available to us in a PV but several included and optional tours were sold out before the next window opened for the DV guests. I've read that Viking may be able to offer additional spaces for the sold outs as there are often cancellations, and there are protocols for addressing these limitations that I'm not familiar with since we have always gotten what we wanted as PV guests.

5 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

from what I have read, Regent cruisers may find Viking's included excursions underwhelming.

Thank you for your very helpful tips.   We are looking at a NE/Canada cruise so I'm not too intent on booking the excursions as I hope that most of these areas can be explored on our own.  Ideally, a panoramic overview and then a walkabout to areas of particular interest.  

Regent excursions can be hit and miss.  We recently did a cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver on Regent after an immersive land tour of Tokyo, Gifu, and Kyoto/Nara.  The Regent tours as we headed north were really underwhelming...long bus rides, indecipherable guides (and I lived in Japan as a teen so the accent is usually not a problem!), and venues that did not quite live up to the florid description on the website.  It  was a stark contrast to our land tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be sure you read up on Viking's payment policies.  You may be required to make final payment more than a year from the sailing date. 

Some hear this and their heads explode, and they look elsewhere. 

Others (like us) have sailed Viking before, like their product, and don't mind.  If you have 2 or more active bookings, the payment can be pushed back to 6 months prior to sailing.

Just be aware and do your homework.  It's basically whatever you are or are not comfortable with.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, forgap said:

Thank you for your very helpful tips.   We are looking at a NE/Canada cruise so I'm not too intent on booking the excursions as I hope that most of these areas can be explored on our own.  Ideally, a panoramic overview and then a walkabout to areas of particular interest.  

Regent excursions can be hit and miss.  We recently did a cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver on Regent after an immersive land tour of Tokyo, Gifu, and Kyoto/Nara.  The Regent tours as we headed north were really underwhelming...long bus rides, indecipherable guides (and I lived in Japan as a teen so the accent is usually not a problem!), and venues that did not quite live up to the florid description on the website.  It  was a stark contrast to our land tour.

We have found this to be the case. And like more cruisers these days, we, too, look primarily to the itinerary and want access to destinations we can readily explore on our own. This is becoming more challenging due to port imposed restrictions and different lines approaching cost cutting in diverse ways. Thus, we no longer give loyalty to one line. Although we liked much about our Oceania cruise around the British Isles last August, we were disappointed with port time changes announced after the PIF date but before sailing. There were also further reductions to port times communicated once we embarked and we missed one port due to swells. I realize weather is an ever changing dynamic, but the NCL (Oceania and Regent in particular) brands seem to be more prone to itinerary changes than competing lines. And with one of their executives recently commenting that there are "no sacred cows" that won't be slaughtered (my inference) if necessary to drastically reduce costs, I am reluctant to book with Oceania or Regent.

We embrace hopes our October 2024 Viking cruise (Rome to Athens) will be more than satisfactory, but we have also tempered these expectations. Depending on we how perceive our experience, we may look into land tours for future international travel.

Edited by Hanoj

forgap, I'm sure you are checking out lots of threads, but please make sure that you understand what Viking Ocean offers and what it doesn't offer.  If you like what you see advertised, and read on VO through various sources,  I say book the cruise.  The worst case scenario is that you find out it is not exactly what you are looking for, and you choose to keep on looking.

It's been quite a few years since we sailed Regent where we had over 160 nights, but the cruise line changed, and we chose not to follow their path.  I continue to read the Regent board and we have not ruled out the cruise line for the future; although, it won't be in the near future as the current "Regent Experience" is too inconsistent.  Your postings on the Regent board have been filled with fabulous information, and give a sense of who you are and how you choose to travel.  I've much appreciated your insight.

So, that being said, I can't give you a whole lot of insight into Viking Ocean.  We've only had one sailing on the line, but enjoyed ourselves enough that we have already booked two more sailings.  Viking Ocean is not, IMO, "luxury", but it's a great experience if one wants excellent service, good to fabulous meals (understanding that the food budget does not allow some of the options available on Regent, Crystal, and I'm sure some other lines).  The booking of excursions, restaurants, etc. date is based on the cabin you choose for your sailing.  There is no free flowing champagne, but you are welcome to bring any champagne or other drinks of your choice onboard and there is no corkage fee regardless of where you choose to drink (restaurant, lounge, etc.).  There are no Broadway Regent type shows, but I can't tell you what they offer late at night as that's something we didn't choose to experience on our cruise.  My DH really enjoyed one of the individuals providing lectures during the day, but, similar to the smaller ships such as Windstar, IMO, one doesn't choose the cruise line because of the lectures.  The spa is excellent.  The service is excellent. 

As long as your expectations are in line with what VO offers, I have no doubt you will enjoy your cruise.  FYI, we choose to purchase the beverage package because we love having that more inclusive feel when we are sailing.  It's easier, IMO, to dine with others, sit in lounges with others, etc., when one has the package.  Only you will know if that's something that matters to you or if you want to work out whether it makes the most financial sense.

Wishing you a great sailing whether it's on VO or some other line.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Vikng has some of the cheapest drinks packages in the industry. If you drink a couple of cocktails a day it is worth it even if you only drink the free beer and wine at meals. The $17 per day is added to the amount owed during the cruise per person per day. The fridge will be restocked with tiny alcohol bottles but not with Champagne or wine. Not exactly sure which tiny bottles they are using now. The PV is nice for room size vs V but not really necessary unless you can afford the upgrade!

You can request wine for the fridge in PV or above.

7 hours ago, forgap said:

Hi Forgap!

You know us  (you were our savior on a Regent cruise in 2019)

Having sailed a lot with Regent, I think you may be disappointed with Viking unless you understand that it is a different experience. Not bad! Just different.

We do both - in fact we are on a Viking cruise next month due to itinerary. (with 3 Regent booked)

One thing we accept is that, all said and done, the price is the same. Certainly was so in the past.  With the changes at Regent, may not be quite as much. When you pay the gratuities, upgrade beverage and shore excursions - it sure adds up!

You said you  were not particularly concerned about shore excursions so that may factor into your costs. Although not always (I suspect that some locations were just not amenable to a good excursions) many of our included Regent excursions were pretty good.  Just about ALL of the Viking included excursions are a basic bus ride (panoramic) trip.  Purchasing paid ones can really add much to the cost.

*You will have to go up probably 2 levels to get an equivalent cabin in size and amenities. 

The 2 specialty restaurants do not in any way compare to the food and ambiance in Regent specialties. How important would that be for you?  The restaurants, food, service are fine, but not special/memorable.

The spa area on Viking is excellent. The pool and public areas are nice.

So just different, but do not expect to save a lot of money!

Just keep traveling!

P

• Like 1

@mariners  Thank you for your compliment on my Regent live threads.  You made my day.  We tend to not be labor intensive and don't need constant entertainment so VO does sound intriguing.  We won't know if it fits until we try it, I guess.  

We tried Silversea in 2023 and didn't like it at all.  We were on Whisper, which is an older ship.  From start to finish there were problems in service and provisioning.  I won't even start to comment about air arrangements which were terrible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tsunami74 said:

You know us  (you were our savior on a Regent cruise in 2019)

the whole Chinese visa debacle?   What a nightmare!  High anxiety!  But, we did get to see the terra cotta warriors!

• Like 1

Viking also allows you to bring on your own alcohol including wine and champagne onboard to consume in your own cabin which may help determine whether you prefer to purchase Silver Spirits package for your cruise. 

3 hours ago, Pegct said:

Viking also allows you to bring on your own alcohol including wine and champagne onboard to consume in your own cabin which may help determine whether you prefer to purchase Silver Spirits package for your cruise. 

Just for additional clarity - the alcohol you bring on board may be consumed anywhere on the ship. No corkage fees apply. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Just for additional clarity - the alcohol you bring on board may be consumed anywhere on the ship. No corkage fees apply. 🍺🥌

And even in the bars, Viking will supply clean glasses and ice. Mixers however are extra.

54 minutes ago, Pegct said:

Thanks for the head's up about consuming your own liquor anywhere on the ship. I wasn't aware of that.

YUP!  No need for brown paper bags or sippy cups to hide the "contraband." 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/7/2024 at 10:53 AM, forgap said:

Welcome to Viking!  some thoughts:

-unless Viking recently reduced the daily gratuities, it’s $18 pp/day not $17. We book with a travel agent who kicks back the maximum Viking allows as a refundable onboard credit ($150pp on cruises up to 7 nights; $300pp on 8-14 night cruises: and $500pp on cruises 15 nights or more) so those amounts typically cover our gratuities and leave a little left over for the bar tab if we don’t get the Silver Spirits package ($25pp/day which means each guest needs to drink between 2.5-3 cocktails each day to break even)

-the mini bottles are not premium and are limited. As I recall, gin, vodka, rum.  I know when we upgraded on a promo to a PV once, we didn’t use the mini bottles as we preferred a higher quality liquor and enjoyed it better with friends at a lounge. 

-having not sailed Regent I can’t compare (but hope to change that someday) but we have found some of the food very memorable.  Grilled lamb chops for breakfast, Chilean Sea Bass, Exotic Wave dessert (all in the Restaurant) and the Lotus Menu at the Chef’s Table being some that come immediately to mind. If you want to see some of the other Chef’s table menus:this thread has attempted to list them all: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2861105-21-chef’s-table-menus/

-if you haven’t already, recommend checking out this thread which has lots of advice and tips for Viking newbies: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

• Like 1