21 Chef’s Table Menus?

Clay Clayton

On VikingTV yesterday, the Chef said there a total of 21 menus at the Chef’s Table. I didn’t know there were that many.  Below are the ones I can name…can we put together a complete list?

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

9. Mexican (not it’s actual name)

10. Food through Time (not it’s actual name)

That’s less than half! I know that a friend on the World Cruise mentioned an Indian? Shri Lankan? Menu that they enjoyed but it was a one off he was told. 

Can anyone help complete this list?

20 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

On VikingTV yesterday, the Chef said there a total of 21 menus at the Chef’s Table. I didn’t know there were that many.  Below are the ones I can name…can we put together a complete list?

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

That’s less than half! I know that a friend on the World Cruise mentioned an Indian? Shri Lankan? Menu that they enjoyed but it was a one off he was told. 

Clay - maybe they meant that there have been 21 menus since Ocean Cruising began in 2015.  I doubt there are 21 menus in current existence.

These above we've all seen, except #10.   Can't think of others.  We've been on multiple cruises in the past year and haven't seen anything beyond what you've listed.

Just remembered one that I want to try but have never had the opportunity. 

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

11. Sweet & Salty

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay - maybe they meant that there have been 21 menus since Ocean Cruising began in 2015.  I doubt there are 21 menus in current existence.

These above we've all seen, except #10.   Can't think of others.  We've been on multiple cruises in the past year and haven't seen anything beyond what you've listed.

Maybe but that isn’t what he said.  He and Karen Burns-Booth were discussing the different menus and he said their were a total of 21 and that they rotate through them every three days. 

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Maybe but that isn’t what he said.  He and Karen Burns-Booth were discussing the different menus and he said their were a total of 21 and that they rotate through them every three days. 

Not totally true.  Every ship we've been on does rotate - have seen 3 and 4 days of one menu.  But they certainly do not rotate between 21 menus - at least not in the last several years.  Again, my premise is they have "executed" 21 different menus, and may have many in "storage", but are not actively serving every one of those 21.

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

I just wish that we can know when the specific menus are offered BEFORE we make our reservations. Any insight? 

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

I just wish that we can know when the specific menus are offered BEFORE we make our reservations. Any insight? 

You can see which menu is for what night on the TV in your room.  This is how we decided which menu to make a reservation for.

Just now, Mich3554 said:

You can see which menu is for what night on the TV in your room.  This is how we decided which menu to make a reservation for.

My question was if we could see the menus when the specialty restaurants were open for reservations BEFORE we sail. We booked a PV so can book reservations early.

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

My question was if we could see the menus when the specialty restaurants were open for reservations BEFORE we sail. We booked a PV so can book reservations early.

You didn’t mention wanting to see the menu before you sailed, just before you made your reservations.  TBH, I have yet to make a reservation before I sail and make reservations for both restaurants once I’m on board.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

You didn’t mention wanting to see the menu before you sailed, just before you made your reservations.  TBH, I have yet to make a reservation before I sail and make reservations for both restaurants once I’m on board.  

I did mention that we booked a PV so can make the reservations early, meaning well before we sail. Perhaps someone on this board will know. Thanks anyway.

4 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

This isn't foolproof, but on our sailing once sample menus showed up in MVJ they were the menus that would be offered on our sailing, in the order they were offered, three nights each--so if I wanted the third menu shown I booked something in nights 7-9. No promises but it worked for me.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just remembered one that I want to try but have never had the opportunity. 

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

11. Sweet & Salty

Anthony's French Bistro

California Cuisine

Food through Time (not it’s actual name). Clay, do you remember what the main course was?

12 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Out of 4 Vikings sailings, only once did we know what the menus were prior to sailing.  It was for a 2020 SA/Cape Horn trip.  When we clicked on the Day, the menu would appear.  I remember because we were trying to coordinate reservations with friends for the Asian Panorama one.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ceegeefl said:

We also could see the menu the same way before our cruise on the Sea last month.

Thanks for the info. So the menus for Chef Table was uploaded to MVJ when you were able to pre-book the reservations? MVJ states that we can access the reservations for the restaurants on 9/24 for our 12/2 cruise on the Sea. Any recommendations or pointers? Thanks so much.

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Anthony's French Bistro

California Cuisine

Food through Time (not it’s actual name). Clay, do you remember what the main course was?

California is #6 on my list.  I don’t remember unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Thanks for the info. So the menus for Chef Table was uploaded to MVJ when you were able to pre-book the reservations? MVJ states that we can access the reservations for the restaurants on 9/24 for our 12/2 cruise on the Sea. Any recommendations or pointers? Thanks so much.

This is certainly not always the case.   Sometimes you can't see the menus until you get onboard the first day.  If you know someone of the same ship on the exact prior itinerary, you can ask them what their menus were.  That will give you a rough idea of what you will see, but not totally.  About all you will know is you won't start with the menu they finished with.  I spoke with them on our Nov/Dec cruise and they told us they draft a rough menu schedule each calendar month, but it can and does change.

For example, for our cruise coming up July 15, we never saw any menus, and even after we booked, they just keep saying sample menus coming soon.  That is why it probably is pointless to plan out which menu is on which day.  Just get it set up on the app on day 1.

image.png.4b9a2721300914cfd42e7fbd2bfef5c8.png

20 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

This prompted me to go back through the menus we had on our 2019 WC. I have all the above, plus “Australia 2”  with blue swimmer crab and “Darling Downs” Wagyu beef short rib.  There was also another one called Carnival, or something like that, which I remember, but I don’t have the menu for it.

Yes. When we were able to book dining reservations, the type of cuisine was posted for each day.  For example, May 13 Lotus,May 16 Asian Panorama, etc.  Unfortunately  it doesn't appear to always be the case according to others' experiences. However, we had no problems switching dates or times of our reservations while onboard. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

This prompted me to go back through the menus we had on our 2019 WC. I have all the above, plus “Australia 2”  with blue swimmer crab and “Darling Downs” Wagyu beef short rib.  There was also another one called Carnival, or something like that, which I remember, but I don’t have the menu for it.

Updated list-any more?

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

11. Sweet & Salty
12. French Bistro

13. Australia 2 (makes me think there must be a #1?)

14. Darling Downs

14. Carnival 

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

14. Darling Downs

Sorry for the confusion.   #14 is not a separate entry, but is the main course of #13, I.e. Wagyu ribs. Yes, I assume there must be an Australia #1, but we didn’t have it.

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

10. Food through Time (not it’s actual name)

11. Sweet & Salty
12. French Bistro

14. Carnival 

19 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

10. Food through Time (not it’s actual name)

11. Sweet & Salty
12. French Bistro

14. Carnival 

This is great everyone!  We should with everyone s experience be able to come up with a complete historical list!  Would be great to hear from the early worl cruisers and also that very first ocean year of 2015 with the Star, if people saved any menus!!