Saint Greg's Jewels - Live - August 12, 2024

Just now, Saint Greg said:

I planned on buying the max number cruise next certificates and I ended up not buying any. I'm taking a wait and see approach before committing anything else. I still have two of the $500 cruise first certificates on my account.

I was looking at NCL out of NO for next year. If TxTeach had the same experience on the Pearl, maybe it's just how NCL is then. 

• Like 4

On 8/19/2024 at 7:27 AM, Saint Greg said:

I don’t think mentioned it but the internet came up in the Q&A. This ship goes to starlink on 9/9

Damn. I will sail after that and was resigned to disconnect. Which turned into satisfaction about being unplugged.

The question now is, do I purchase the internet package?  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah they definitely have people standing guard on the aisles. And I always have a boarding video right? Didn't post one this time. The most boring one I have was Jewel last year because you board in an elevator lobby. This year it's just as boring but they tell me I'm not allowed to take a video while boarding. And I noticed the guy standing there with a very unwelcoming look on his face is one of the guys who stands guard at the shows. I had some run ins with him and it all started when I stepped on the ship with my camera running. 

That's a new one..... and yeah, Sun and Jewel class both have less than inspiring boarding points... but man, I've NEVER heard "no boarding videos"... that's wild. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

That's a new one..... and yeah, Sun and Jewel class both have less than inspiring boarding points... but man, I've NEVER heard "no boarding videos"... that's wild. 

Yeah. I have video of them saying that. That video I posted I cut just before both of them tell me no videos.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, AmyJA said:

Damn. I will sail after that and was resigned to disconnect. Which turned into satisfaction about being unplugged.

The question now is, do I purchase the internet package?  

I probably wouldn't. Or if you do wait until the second day which is the first time you'll really need it after leaving Seward or Vancouver late. The pre-cruise price was $108. On the second day the app offered it to me for $80. I don't know if that's common or not. But really the only time you need it in Alaska is Hubbard Glacier day and the Sea Day which should be days 2 and 7...or 7 and 2. Then maybe at night after you leave port. If I weren't doing a live I could've easily done without it...well I basically did do without it.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for another great review! Bummer about the internet. I have a couple thoughts on the theater. One is that they assume anyone using a phone is taking photos or recording. The other is that it could be seen as distracting to others if people have the bright lights of their phones on. It's super subjective, byt definitely possible. I did notice on The Pearl last summer that the staff were very vigilant about telling people to turn their phones off during shows. I didn't notice any rude staff per se, but I could see staff getting tired of telling people to turn off their phones and then reaching their breaking point. It's not an excuse, though, especially since it sounds like that tainted your entire experience. 

Wishing you safe travels and hoping your next cruise is a little better. You posted the most amazing photos that made me really want to get to Alaska someday! Thank you again ❤️

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

Thanks for another great review! Bummer about the internet. I have a couple thoughts on the theater. One is that they assume anyone using a phone is taking photos or recording. The other is that it could be seen as distracting to others if people have the bright lights of their phones on. It's super subjective, byt definitely possible. I did notice on The Pearl last summer that the staff were very vigilant about telling people to turn their phones off during shows. I didn't notice any rude staff per se, but I could see staff getting tired of telling people to turn off their phones and then reaching their breaking point. It's not an excuse, though, especially since it sounds like that tainted your entire experience. 

Wishing you safe travels and hoping your next cruise is a little better. You posted the most amazing photos that made me really want to get to Alaska someday! Thank you again ❤️

They’re definitely more restrictive than Carnival or Princess. The problem is they’re enforcing restrictions they don’t have. They say no pictures or videos. Then they enforce no phones. If they want to pretend to be Broadway fine. They should change the rule to say turn your phones off just like Broadway does.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 12

On 8/13/2024 at 2:12 PM, Saint Greg said:

For those who don’t know the coin I got is a challenge coin. Every military unit I was associated with had their own coin….And you’re supposed to have it in your pocket. The challenge was whether or not you had it in your pocket and that usually happened at a bar. Sometimes I got coins from units I was not in and that was considered an honor.

I was blown away that the funeral home for my Dad's service had a challenge coin made for him.

• Like 4

On 8/19/2024 at 5:23 AM, Saint Greg said:

Internet manager line. All these people are asking for refunds. In addition to the internet being bad, some people in line has their free 150 mins taken

away. They’re saying everyone’s got wiped out the other day.

Lets take a look outside.

IMG_6016.thumb.jpeg.d982189bc5c31377e197687bedb88ecc.jpeg

Pictures telling the stories ... what cruising Alaska really looked like, cloudy & foggy and not sunny skies in the marketing promo material.  

Just wanted to say, excellent report and sad to read about onboard internet being worst than expected.  

Comment / Question - - - Looks like the iCafe has been transformed, just like the Prima ... just a desk and PC for the manager and a printer for wireless $$ printing jobs.  No more terminals, work stations or mini PC with keyboard & mouse for passenger use ... BYO.  

Thank you for taking your time to write, photo, post and reply in sharing.  l

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Pictures telling the stories ... what cruising Alaska really looked like, cloudy & foggy and not sunny skies in the marketing promo material.  

Just wanted to say, excellent report and sad to read about onboard internet being worst than expected.  

Comment / Question - - - Looks like the iCafe has been transformed, just like the Prima ... just a desk and PC for the manager and a printer for wireless $$ printing jobs.  No more terminals, work stations or mini PC with keyboard & mouse for passenger use ... BYO.  

Thank you for taking your time to write, photo, post and reply in sharing.  l

It’s luck of the draw weather wise. Last week was mostly sunny.  Two of my three weeks in Alaska have been sunny. 

• Like 6