Embarkation day times Portsmouth.

Hammer61

We are booked on Resilient Lady in a few weeks' time, but when doing all the formalities and check in stuff didn't realize we had to choose an embarkation time, so now i have found out we needed to pick a time the only one available is the 4-30pm timeslot!

We arrive in Portsmouth at 11-30am so just wondering how strict these times are as we were hoping to get on board pretty much as soon as we could get to the terminal, coming from Australia we will maybe still be a bit jet lagged after flying into London the evening before, hotel at the airport then the early coach to the south coast, alternatively is there much to see/do around the cruise terminal if we do have to wait until 4-30pm, assuming bag drop off won't be an issue.

Virgin adheres to the assigned boarding times; however, you may be able to board earlier if the lines for the earlier time slots move faster.  Why not spend a couple extra hours and get more sleep at your overnight hotel?  

Try checking in the app again to see if an earlier time has become available.

But even if you have a late time they may well be running early so can arrive around 3pm and you may be able to board a bit early. 

Boarding on VV doesn’t start to 1.30pm anyway for rockstars in suites so even it you had done check in earlier then you still wouldn’t have had an arrival time before 2pm.

13 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

...alternatively is there much to see/do around the cruise terminal if we do have to wait until 4-30pm, assuming bag drop off won't be an issue.

Gun Wharf Quays is a short taxi away, and it's a shopping outlet centre. You could also go up the Spinnaker Tower.

I would have a look about rather than head straight to ship myself. Plus can get a few steps in and some air.  

In most ports, you can drop luggage as early as 10.
Deep Blue Extra and Splash of Romance start check in about 1:30--immediately after Rockstars.  At Barcelona, we actually did check in at 1, but waited in a holding area until 1:30 to board.

The later the time, the less strict they are because boarding goes faster than planned.  With a 4:30 time, you'd typically be able to check in in the 3-3:30 range.

16 hours ago, Lustate said:

I would have a look about rather than head straight to ship myself. Plus can get a few steps in and some air.  

Thanks, that's what we will do once we arrive at the pier, check in luggage and go for a walk about the local area, believe there are some historic Navy sites close by, hopefully the English weather is kind that day and not raining.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Thanks, that's what we will do once we arrive at the pier, check in luggage and go for a walk about the local area, believe there are some historic Navy sites close by, hopefully the English weather is kind that day and not raining.....

it’s not really that close between the cruise port and the historic dockland, Google Maps says 39 minute walk.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4UWsKqFAgdq7Lvj2A?g_st=i

On 8/10/2024 at 5:11 AM, Hammer61 said:

As mentioned, the dockyard/areas you'd want to visit are a bit of a walk away. Coming out of the port, you can cross over to the other side of the carriageway using an underpass, and catch a bus to Gunwharf Quays (every bus departing that stop will terminate at Gunwharf/The Hard) so you can hop on any of them. Don't use the bus stop directly outside the port as those buses are leaving the island.

Gunwharf Quays and the Historic Dockyard are a few minutes from each other - if you've only a few hours I'd recommend leaving the dockyard though as it can be pricey. You'll be able to see HMS Warrior from outside.

If you're interested in old buildings/historic areas, it's a 15 minute walk from The Hard to Old Portsmouth. There's some beautiful houses, Cathedral, Royal Garrison Church, and you have a great view of ships coming in/out of the harbour.

And as a Portsmouth resident I highly recommend The Canteen situated in The Hotwalls for food/coffee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lottie93 said:

If you're interested in old buildings/historic areas, it's a 15 minute walk from The Hard to Old Portsmouth. There's some beautiful houses, Cathedral, Royal Garrison Church, and you have a great view of ships coming in/out of the harbour.

And as a Portsmouth resident I highly recommend The Canteen situated in The Hotwalls for food/coffee.

Thats is much appreciated 👍 will take your advise and wonder around old Portsmouth, and look out for the Canteen as well😊

I suppose organizing a sunny and warm day is out of the question though😁 We will just keep our fingers crossed it turns out that way.............

On 8/9/2024 at 2:30 PM, cantgetin said:

In most ports, you can drop luggage as early as 10.
Deep Blue Extra and Splash of Romance start check in about 1:30--immediately after Rockstars.  At Barcelona, we actually did check in at 1, but waited in a holding area until 1:30 to board.

The later the time, the less strict they are because boarding goes faster than planned.  With a 4:30 time, you'd typically be able to check in in the 3-3:30 range.

Portsmouth may be slightly different as you have to board a shuttle bus to get from the terminal to the ship, which IMHO slows down and elongates the embarkation process.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I am DBE but DH is not. Will he be allowed to board at the same time as me? 

If both in the same cabin then they can board at the same time and come to the drinks party with you.

• Thanks 1