Heads up if traveling with children who are not your own

We just got back from our cruise on Harmony out of Galveston with 2 of our grandchildren.  We had a great time, but thought I would give everyone a heads up.  We had their parents sign a waiver form and had it notarized just in case.  So glad we did! 

We have been on many cruises (this is one of my granddaughters 5th cruise with us and she is 10). This is the first time we have ever been asked for proof that we had permission to sail.  We showed them the paperwork and didn't have any problems, but someone posted on the social media site that they were held up and had to get ahold of the parents to send a waiver in order to board. Here is a link to the form we used. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/minor-traveling-without-parent-or-guardian-form.pdf

Hope this helps someone so you aren't turned away at the pier for not having all the documents you need!

Happy sailing! 

Karen 

• Like 6

We have an upcoming cruise on Harmony out of Galveston. One of our granddaughters is in our cabin; her parents and our other granddaughter are in another cabin. Our reservations are linked, but just to be safe I had planned to have the parents sign and notarize the form. Today I received the form from Royal Caribbean in my email. I definitely agree with you - take the notarized form! I'm thinking for my situation it possibly would be ok, because her parents will be right there boarding with us - but I am not a risk-taker when it comes to making it onto the ship! 

10 minutes ago, JustUs275 said:

We have an upcoming cruise on Harmony out of Galveston. One of our granddaughters is in our cabin; her parents and our other granddaughter are in another cabin. Our reservations are linked, but just to be safe I had planned to have the parents sign and notarize the form. Today I received the form from Royal Caribbean in my email. I definitely agree with you - take the notarized form! I'm thinking for my situation it possibly would be ok, because her parents will be right there boarding with us - but I am not a risk-taker when it comes to making it onto the ship! 

I bet they auto send that form if there is a minor and an adult in a cabin with different last names.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I bet they auto send that form if there is a minor and an adult in a cabin with different last names.

You would lose that bet. My parents cruised with my daughter and nephew. My daughter was 18 at the time, so no paperwork needed for her. She shared a cabin with my nephew. They have different last names from each other and from my parents, who were in a connected cabin. Luckily they had the required paperwork for my nephew. It was never sent to them, we just knew it was needed. 

• Like 1

It was not sent to us either.  We just have always had it in case it was needed. This is the first time they asked for it on any cruise line we have taken our granddaughter on. 

Glad we had it and just wanted to let others know in case this is a new thing for Royal.  We are Diamond with Royal, so not like it was our first cruise with them.  Just a first for needing it.  

2 hours ago, fpcruiser said:

We have been asked all 5 times we have cruised with a grandchild. These were all from Florida ports.

We always bring the notarized form, and have been asked for it on some cruises out of Florida, but not on every cruise.

I'm cruising in 5 days and got sent a waiver for my daughter because we have different last names.  My husband is also travelling with us in an adjoining room.  Spent almost 2 hours on the phone to be told "I better fill out the waiver" to "no don't have to fill out the waiver".  So even parents are getting the runaround.  I told them I'm not paying to have a form notarized for my own daughter.  Also, the form says it's not my child so they want me to fill out a form and essentially lie to a notary.  I fully expect to have problems at the port.  Luckily because I did not take my husbands last name when my children were born I ordered long form birth certificates showing the names of both parents.  So fingers crossed.

When I talked to Royal last month they said they had new procedures in place for children travelling without parents.  No idea if this is true but I will say we are diamond and always book two rooms and we have never been asked to fill out this form.

Unfortunately, as per usual, their customer service representatives never have definite answers.

46 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

I'm cruising in 5 days and got sent a waiver for my daughter because we have different last names.  My husband is also travelling with us in an adjoining room.  Spent almost 2 hours on the phone to be told "I better fill out the waiver" to "no don't have to fill out the waiver".  So even parents are getting the runaround.  I told them I'm not paying to have a form notarized for my own daughter.  Also, the form says it's not my child so they want me to fill out a form and essentially lie to a notary.  I fully expect to have problems at the port.  Luckily because I did not take my husbands last name when my children were born I ordered long form birth certificates showing the names of both parents.  So fingers crossed.

When I talked to Royal last month they said they had new procedures in place for children travelling without parents.  No idea if this is true but I will say we are diamond and always book two rooms and we have never been asked to fill out this form.

Unfortunately, as per usual, their customer service representatives never have definite answers.

First.  You can write your own form if you disagree with the language in theirs.

Second, check with your local library, your employer, or even in your neighborhood.  It's very possible to get notary services for free.

Third, my guess is the issue is your husband isn't in the same room, and the different last names is triggering the issue.

Companies can change policies whenever they want, so what happened in the past doesn't always equal what happens in the future.

This seems like a strange hill to die on.  Sure, your birth certificates may/should get you on, but why take the chance of even a delay?  

It’s been many years since I’ve needed this (youngest grandson just became a father) but even though you may feel that it’s not necessary remember that it’s their ship and their rules. I flew for over 35 years with show cats and know that airlines require certain documentation to have a cat in cabin. I’ve been asked for it maybe half a dozen times. Do I always have it? You bet. Don’t need any surprises at the airport and you don’t need any at the port. 

13 hours ago, arlodog said:

This is the first time we have ever been asked for proof that we had permission to sail. 

I've taken my nieces (different last name) on a cruise, and the ship never asked for the note from their parents -- but I'd never, never, never go without it!  

We were very specific with the note:  Permission to drive to Florida in our personal vehicle, permission to stay overnight in ___ hotel, permission to board ___ ship, permission to disembark at the islands, permission to make emergency medical decisions.  Their parents were not at all surprised /reluctant to sign such a note, as it protects everyone.  

34 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Second, check with your local library, your employer, or even in your neighborhood.  It's very possible to get notary services for free.

My credit union also provides free notary services.  

• Like 1

We have cruised with just our grandkids several times.  Every time  we have we have been asked for Royals special form, which we had and had had notarized.  I would never consider traveling with them without it.  The risk of shoreside disappointment is way too high.  

3 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

Your bank should notarize it for free.

• Like 1