Pre-Cruise comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Pickled with chilli are my favourite!

Hartess is cooking dinner tonight. I didnt know till just now that beetroot is featuring in a salad starter, along with watercress and chopped walnuts, with vinaigrette dressing. 

Just now, Harters said:

Hartess is cooking dinner tonight. I didnt know till just now that beetroot is featuring in a salad starter, along with watercress and chopped walnuts, with vinaigrette dressing. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 6:33 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We will be taking our first Oceania cruise in about 1 month.   As such most of the information I'm gathering is from details I've accumulated and some of which I've read on CruiseCritics and FB groups.

First of all I wanted to say I understand that Oceania and Celebrity are totally different but that is the main reason we have booked this cruise.   We also understand that Regatta is the smallest and oldest ships in the Oceania fleet.   We actually booked Vista in an Owner's Suite for next year but wanted to try out Oceania -

For those that don't know us, we are Jim and Iain (Scottish version of Ian).  We are a male couple from the heart of Silicon Valley, CA.  We have been together for 38 years and are addicted to cruising.   For the past 24 years we have sailed exclusively in Upper Suites on Celebrity.   Times have changed and we have decided to explore other cruise lines.  This year we have booked 2 Oceania, 1 SilverSea, 1 Regent Silver Seas and 2 Cunard cruises.  

The purpose of this tread is share my per-cruise knowledge of Oceania.   Of course, my perception could be totally off base and opened  to correction and advice.

Slide1.thumb.JPG.3d7107add6f18165ee49ddcc54d0fae2.JPG

I always look forward to your reviews. You guys always provide great details.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

We cruise for ports and excursions, not the life at sea, which is pretty pricey if all you do is mostly stay on board and do little.

The POOL on Regatta is very small. More for walking about than swimming. Salt water, unheated. IIRC pool depth is uniformly a bit under 6' and there is no ledge near the bottom along the sides to use to comfortably stand with your head above the water. (I'm 6'2".)

Of course, check out the Library and Baristas during the day.

I always try to make the guest lecturer's series, any day I can. Usually 5 lectures for a 10-day voyage. (Sometimes there isn't one.)

We do try to enjoy the comedians, but don't do the song & dance productions nor could we care about string quartets or piano players in bars.

Do read your CURRENTS each night to know what all is happening where and when the next day. I look for things like a lecture on timekeeping by the watch manager in the boutique (he had free scotch during the presentation in Red Ginger) or a Veterans Meet & Greet. Little things like that which pop up periodically. (I've even self-hosted Veterans Meets & Greets in Martinis in the afternoon of a sea day. See the CD if you want to self-host some type of gathering.)

Thanks will check out Currents for sure.   It appears that our first cruise will be quite port intensive so will definitely burn a lot of time.

One thing I do daily is walk 10 miles a day.    I find I can do that easy on Celebrity but may be a bit challenging on Regatta.    It usually takes me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours and I listen to Audio Books while walking. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mhdesno2 said:

I know that there are cooking and art classes on the bigger Oceania ships. Are there any on the Regatta?

I haven't seen anything about the Cooking or Art Classes

I would probably enjoy the cooking class more than the art classes.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

6 hours ago, Harters said:

You can have my portion.    I'll take the Lettuce, watercress, chopped walnuts with Vinaigrette Dressing.    A little blue cheese instead of beets would be wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I'm all cooked out.    I'm the President of our 250 Unit HOA and today was our annual Pool Party and BBQ.   For the past 25 years I've always been on the grills so I can meet and thank or homeowners. 

Fantastic turn our and  we even invited the fire department at the end of the street who bring out the trucks for the enjoyment of kids both young and old.    This year even the Mayor and City Councilman accepted our invitation and was really fun. 

No beets showed up.... But lots of Hamburgers, VegiBurers, Hot Dogs and Polish Sausages.  

It's Iain's night to cook so I told him to make a slimmed down dinner.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

A little blue cheese instead of beets would be wonderful.

We do a version with blue cheese from time to time. But only when Mr Bourne has his Blue Cheshire on sale at the farmers market. It's one of the best blues I know - rich, creamy and tangy - and probably unknown outside the county. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain  This may come in handy if you do decide to start growing your own tomato's again.

https://www.theseasonedmom.com/okra-and-tomatoes/

Delicious, especially when served with fresh hot buttered cornbread. 

Hmmm.  I seem to recall that Jim hates okra (and beets).

Anyhow, I give up on growing tomatoes.  Years ago I tried container-gardening and had special soil, fertilizer, etc., etc.  It was a bad year for tomatoes and grew only one beautiful, ripe tomato.  My dog ate it.

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

...will check out Currents for sure. ... One thing I do daily is walk 10 miles a day.    I find I can do that easy on Celebrity but may be a bit challenging on Regatta.    It usually takes me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours and I listen to Audio Books while walking. 

Yes, the CURRENTS is your lifeline to knowing what all is going on the next day. Read it, study it, know it.

The fitness track is on Deck 10, overlooking the pool area. Though I've walked the ships in many different ways, including starting on the lowest passenger deck (3) and working my way up hallway by hallway and stairs to get to deck 11. Enjoying the art.

56 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though I've walked the ships in many different ways, including starting on the lowest passenger deck (3) and working my way up hallway by hallway and stairs to get to deck 11. Enjoying the art.

Yes, in inclement weather on sea days we've walked the halls similar to what you do, but we tend to either walk before or shortly after breakfast. The problem with this is the steward's carts and people up and milling about. It's hard to keep up a good pace. We definitely like the walking track on the O ships much more than the R. 

Fun to see many X cruisers trying Oceania. Jim, I think I told you that we will just miss you as we board on September 26th for our Regatta cruise. Nice to be on a smaller ship although I prefer the O Class ships. 

We leave this Friday for Alaska cruise on the Edge so we will still do a Celebrity cruise now and again if the price is right. For now, Explora Journey is my new favorite.

I know you will enjoy Oceania,

Cheers, Heather

53 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Fun to see many X cruisers trying Oceania. Jim, I think I told you that we will just miss you as we board on September 26th for our Regatta cruise. Nice to be on a smaller ship although I prefer the O Class ships. 

We leave this Friday for Alaska cruise on the Edge so we will still do a Celebrity cruise now and again if the price is right. For now, Explora Journey is my new favorite.

Cheers, Heather

And now those sailing on Explora Journey have one of the best CD's in the industry - Ray Carr

• Like 2

Jim,

I am so looking forward to your review and comparison to Celebrity.  I always love following along with you.  Right now we have 3 cruises booked but I am doing research on other potentially more exotic bucket list trips. We have nothing booked on Celebrity. We have a 7 night Caribbean cruise booked next March with the ladies of Olivia on HAL in the only Pinnacle Suite on their newest ship.  It looks like they made some major improvements to the Pinnacle Suite on this ship.  We bite the bullet since it is a charter and only eat in the specialty restaurants and buy the premium beverage and internet package.  Charters are expensive.  Here is a link to the suite:

We then have a 10 night Boston to Montreal cruise booked on HAL in the Pinnacle Suite.  We chose this cruise because it goes to New Foundland and New Brunswick and Quebec and the ship is small enough to sail the Saint Lawrence River.  We have 2 stops in Maine that we love. Karen has never been to Canada. This suite includes premium WiFi for two, premium beverage package, unlimited laundry and dry cleaning and some specialty dining and a separate dinner menu for suite passengers. Then we have an 18 night RT from SanDiego to Hawaii on another HAL ship in the Pinnacle Suite.  Karen has never been to Hawaii. There are a lot of sea days but generally we love them. This cruise includes all of the above amenities.  We very much want to go to Iceland and also Australia and New Zealand. We prefer Celebrity over HAL, but the HAL itinerary for New England and Canada won and Celebrity does not do a RT from US to Hawaii.  After this we will likely move up to the more upscale lines. Perhaps someday our cruise travels will meet again.

10 hours ago, raudacruise said:

Hmmm.  I seem to recall that Jim hates okra (and beets).

Anyhow, I give up on growing tomatoes.  Years ago I tried container-gardening and had special soil, fertilizer, etc., etc.  It was a bad year for tomatoes and grew only one beautiful, ripe tomato.  My dog ate it.

You are correct on the Okra and Beets... that's why John was suggesting his famous Gumbo... he just loves seeing me give that ewwwww face.

Last crop of Tomatoes I grew kept disappearing just as they got to full ripeness.    I couldn't figure it out until I saw a squirrel on the fence with my last tomato between his hands.    I never knew Squirrel ate tomatoes but I guess they are just a rat with a fluffy tail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Yes, the CURRENTS is your lifeline to knowing what all is going on the next day. Read it, study it, know it.

The fitness track is on Deck 10, overlooking the pool area. Though I've walked the ships in many different ways, including starting on the lowest passenger deck (3) and working my way up hallway by hallway and stairs to get to deck 11. Enjoying the art.

Like minds think alike.   I usually start with the track and if it goods too cold, windy or rainy I take to the hallways.    I've not heard much about the art but will definitely enjoy.   Celebrity has great artwork and even have a paid tour of all the artwork.    Often they have a different theme on each floor.  

8 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes, in inclement weather on sea days we've walked the halls similar to what you do, but we tend to either walk before or shortly after breakfast. The problem with this is the steward's carts and people up and milling about. It's hard to keep up a good pace. We definitely like the walking track on the O ships much more than the R. 

I'm pretty good at finding a good route and try to work around the housecleaning staff.   It usually take me about 3 hours to do my walk.    I already have my iPhone loaded with about 50 books.      I've really become addicted to audio books. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Cheers, Heather

Heater,

Yea, unfortunately we will miss.     I've been checking out Explora Journey.   They definitely have beautiful ships.  Weren't you boarding Explora when we were in Honolulu?

We booked a Regent SeveSeas  in May of 2026.    The selection was totally based on itinerary -   I have always wanted to do a South Africa Safari followed with a cruise.   I finally found a cruise that begins with a West Africa Cruise and then combines with TransAtlantic from Lisbon to Miami.   It is 36 days but will be adding on a Pr-Cruise to Victoria Falls and a Safari.     This one really has me excited but it seems so far away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Jim,

I am so looking forward to your review and comparison to Celebrity.  I always love following along with you.  Right now we have 3 cruises booked but I am doing research on other potentially more exotic bucket list trips. We have nothing booked on Celebrity. We have a 7 night Caribbean cruise booked next March with the ladies of Olivia on HAL in the only Pinnacle Suite on their newest ship.  It looks like they made some major improvements to the Pinnacle Suite on this ship.  We bite the bullet since it is a charter and only eat in the specialty restaurants and buy the premium beverage and internet package.  Charters are expensive.  Here is a link to the suite:

Pam and Karen,

Looks like a beautiful suite.   I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I've just not be able to get Iain to even consider a Holland America Cruise.    He has watched many videos on their ships and still has a rather negative image of them.   Sometimes perception isn't based on reality... still working on trying them out.   I think the biggest negative is the size of their new ships.

Just by our booking pattern I have a feeling we will be shifting more to Oceania / SilverSea / Regent size ships.    Who knows we may hate them but I don't think so.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

We then have a 10 night Boston to Montreal cruise booked on HAL in the Pinnacle Suite.  We chose this cruise because it goes to New Foundland and New Brunswick and Quebec and the ship is small enough to sail the Saint Lawrence River.  We have 2 stops in Maine that we love. Karen has never been to Canada. This suite includes premium WiFi for two, premium beverage package, unlimited laundry and dry cleaning and some specialty dining and a separate dinner menu for suite passengers. Then we have an 18 night RT from SanDiego to Hawaii on another HAL ship in the Pinnacle Suite.  Karen has never been to Hawaii. There are a lot of sea days but generally we love them. This cruise includes all of the above amenities.  We very much want to go to Iceland and also Australia and New Zealand. We prefer Celebrity over HAL, but the HAL itinerary for New England and Canada won and Celebrity does not do a RT from US to Hawaii.  After this we will likely move up to the more upscale lines. Perhaps someday our cruise travels will meet again.

We did New England on Summit as a 3rd segment on a B2B to Greenland/Iceland.    It was one of our favorites.    Absolutely loved the New England coast as Montreal.   I grew up in the area and hadn't been back to Montreal since I was about 12 years old.  

As a child my father took us to Le Chateau Frontenac for dinner.   Was disappointed that we couldn't get a reservation for dinner.    We had an overnight in Montreal... what a wonderful city.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Jim,

Trish and Karen….not Pam.  LOL.

You are right... of course .... I don't was thinking Patricia and somehow Pam came out. 

3 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

OK, enjoy...

• Like 1