Iceland cruises - Quick question

seacruise9

Hi, 

Earlier today, I booked one of the seven-day Iceland Intensive cruises on the Celebrity Silhouette for July 2025. The cruise is reasonably priced, but the shore excursions that are listed on the Celebrity website at this point are extremely expensive. For example, one of the least expensive excursions is a three-hour trip to a waterfall and town for $234. Many of the excursions are $400 or $500. Are the shore excursions in Iceland typically this expensive or is there an error with the pricing on the website?

Thanks,

Chuck

Doubt that Viviana error, but when we went to Iceland we booked independent excursions with others from the Roll Call.  Less expensive, better and small group of 4-8.

Hi, 

Thanks for the information. I did not realize that Iceland was so extremely expensive. Is it worth the price?

The seven-night cruise was only $1500 per person for a balcony stateroom. I did not expect that the Celebrity shore excursions would cost more than the cruise.

we did a private walking tour of Reykjavik.  was excellent.  included lunch at a pub. Small group. Guide excellent

The one place not to miss is La Perla in Reykjavik.  Looks like a large pearl. Excellent views from the top deck, gift shop but also explains their thermal energy. You could taxi there and pay entry.  We did that one on a tour offered by Celebrity

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, seacruise9 said:

cursions are $400 or $500. Are the shore excursions in Iceland typically this expensive or is there an error with the pricing on the website

If you book independent of the cruise lines you will find the same tour for a lot less. There are a lot of tour companies in Iceland. Skip the big bus tours and book minibus size vans. TripAdvisor has a lot of the available tours and there are reviews. 

Edited by Charles4515

The ship excursions are now very expensive, they weren't on our last visit to Iceland with Celebrity about 10 years ago - circa £90 for half day £120 for a full.  We have booked an independent trip this year which cost £100, cruise ship price about £300 for half a day.

However as OP has found the cost of cruising hasn't increased much if at all.  The price we have paid this year isn't much different to what we paid on our first cruise in 2009.

I usually just google shore excursions in (name of port). I usually get good results. 

Reykjavik is easily explored without a ships tour. They have a pretty decent HoHo bus there. Don't miss the cathedral. I am NOT a church person, but I loved the stark architecture of Reykjavik cathedral. 

If you are that way inclined, there are several restaurants that serve whale meat or puffin. (I didn't try the latter)

Since there's a definite season the shore excursions are more expensive just like Alaska seems to be more expensive.  Other than companies previously mentioned we also used Viator for an excursion while in Iceland.  Also, for our Cruise Celebrity discounted many of the shore excursions the deepest during a post Christmas sale.

Hi, 

Thanks for the information. I cruise frequently and was surprised by the very expensive Celebrity shore excursions. These are the highest prices that I have ever seen for a simple half-day tour.

Chuck

Hi, 

The expense of the Iceland shore excursions is compounded by the fact that this cruise visits four Iceland ports in addition to Reykjavik: Djupivogur, Seydisfjordur, Akureyri, and Isafjordur. I am planning to spend some time in Reykavik prior to the cruise and then take tours in the other four ports. 

Chuck 

38 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

The expense of the Iceland shore excursions is compounded by the fact that this cruise visits four Iceland ports in addition to Reykjavik: Djupivogur, Seydisfjordur, Akureyri, and Isafjordur. I am planning to spend some time in Reykavik prior to the cruise and then take tours in the other four ports. 

Chuck 

Renting a car is also an easy and cost-effective option. I did this last year in Akureyri. It was certainly expensive by car rental standards, but compared to the cost of tours, I got far more bang for my buck. With 2 couples in one car it was less than $75pp all in and we saw far more than any ship excursion or tour company would show us.

Through Viator
We have 12 hours in Reykjavik so I've reserved 4 spaces on the 6 hour Golden Circle tour which takes in the geothermal area and the Gulfoss falls.  The geysers are nothing like "Old Faithful", but interesting never the less. It still leaves us plenty of time afterwards to look at the city as well.

I've left Isafjordor free, nothing appeals too much tour wise there so we'll probably just wander or see if we can find a whale/puffin watching trip.

We have 11 hours in Akureyri so I've put a reservation on a tour to Lake, Myvatn, Hot Springs & Godafoss falls (apparently a "do not miss" for this port of call).  It's similar to the Reykjavik tour in that we see the much of the countryside, but takes in the volcanic landscapes and the lava fields (old ones not the current ones).  This is another 6 hour trip and picks up from the port.  We should have 3 hours left at the end to look around the town.

The Golden Circle is £56 per person
The Lake Myvatn is £123.21 per person
The Golden Circle we met our bus at the bus terminal in town. The Lake Myvatn tour we met the bus at the cruise terminal.

20240702_110124.jpg

20240702_125533.jpg

20240702_141616.jpg

20240702_125859-EFFECTS.jpg

7 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

The 6hr Golden Circle tour with Saga Travel is 20,000isk ($145).

Well worth it,you visit most of the sights Iceland is famous for,,,this is from Reykjavik in mini buses.

we rented a car and drove this ourselves. The lady at the rental station put all the main sites into the satnav in order and gave us the following useful advice " the tour is a circle. The clue is in the title if you are tempted to turn left at any point you are going in the wrong direction" . Had a fabulous day.

P1070897.JPG

P1070910.JPG

P1070984.JPG

42 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Through Viator

Viator is a middleman that uses the local tour companies and takes a cut. Like the cruise lines they don't run their own tours. If I see something on Viator I copy the description and do a google search. I book direct and often the actual tour operator offers discounts. 

• Like 3

I'm following along. This (also in July 2025) is one of the cruises we are thinking about. I appreciate the information on the cost of Celebrity excursions and the options for private tour operators!