Emerald Princess Delayed in Boston on 8/11/2024

We were supposed to be on this sailing but had to cancel due to my medical emergency.  I just read that they will not be leaving Boston until tomorrow night due to a fuel issue.

If anyone onboard the Emerald Princess is reading my post will you please do a live review if possible. I wish you all safe travels and hope you have a wonderful cruise. I am so jelly that we are not there with you! 

21 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We were supposed to be on this sailing but had to cancel due to my medical emergency.  I just read that they will not be leaving Boston until tomorrow night due to a fuel issue.

If anyone onboard the Emerald Princess is reading my post will you please do a live review if possible. I wish you all safe travels and hope you have a wonderful cruise. I am so jelly that we are not there with you! 

oh no .. so sad you had to miss your cruise and hope you recovery quickly.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I'm sorry you had to skip this cruise. Let's hope the medical emergency resolves itself soon. 🙏

I was just on the Emerald, having disembarked yesterday morning. I have a LIVE thread about it somewhere around here. I didn't hear anything onboard about any fuel issues affecting the current cruise. 

• Thanks 1

I will attempt to explain this from what I understand.  For some reason the barge normally used to refuel was not available.  Thus, we are using trucks to refuel.  We need full tanks as we will not be able to get more fuel until we return to Boston.  If the tanks aren't full, we will miss Greenland.  Fueling by trucks is taking longer than anticipated.  We are on the wrong side of the ship but those on the port side say there was a long line of trucks.  No idea if they continued refueling throughout the night.  We have a port day today in Boston with a scheduled departure of 5 pm.  The first formal night has been delayed until tomorrow night.  We will miss Sydney, Nova Scotia.  We will arrive in CornerBrook, Newfoundland one day early.  Then three sea days to Greenland.  

The Patter in our cabin at embarkation showed the earlier stop in CornerBrook and three sea days after so that has been known about for a while.  They did hope to still make Sydney but decided at 9 pm last night we would not make it.  I'll let you know if I learn anything else.  They are offering three tours in Boston - Easy Boston; Historic Boston and Cambridge; and HOHO.  There is a free shuttle from the ship to the New England Aquarium.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

I will attempt to explain this from what I understand.  For some reason the barge normally used to refuel was not available.  Thus, we are using trucks to refuel.  We need full tanks as we will not be able to get more fuel until we return to Boston.  If the tanks aren't full, we will miss Greenland.  Fueling by trucks is taking longer than anticipated.  We are on the wrong side of the ship but those on the port side say there was a long line of trucks.  No idea if they continued refueling throughout the night.  We have a port day today in Boston with a scheduled departure of 5 pm.  The first formal night has been delayed until tomorrow night.  We will miss Sydney, Nova Scotia.  We will arrive in CornerBrook, Newfoundland one day early.  Then three sea days to Greenland.  

The Patter in our cabin at embarkation showed the earlier stop in CornerBrook and three sea days after so that has been known about for a while.  They did hope to still make Sydney but decided at 9 pm last night we would not make it.  I'll let you know if I learn anything else.  They are offering three tours in Boston - Easy Boston; Historic Boston and Cambridge; and HOHO.  There is a free shuttle from the ship to the New England Aquarium.

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry you're going to miss Sydney. I liked that best of our four stops last week. 

20240807_122812.thumb.jpg.50539d9809d10e6c7c2b2eb75975c2d2.jpg

Your new CD Holly has her hands full. I pity her, but suspect she'll be all right.

20240809_143652.thumb.jpg.2d56c7756bed7eaca2a110350c6f4887.jpg

Have fun and please keep us updated!

• Like 1

Missing Sydney does not bother us.  That was our only repeat port.  We were there last October.  I am sure it will bother a lot of other people, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Thank you for sharing. I would have been happy to spend the day in Boston but also sad to miss Sydney. I would have booked the HOHO. Take care and enjoy! 

We are also on board...b2b2b for 37 days.

Stuff happens and princess has little or zero control over refueling so we are just enjoying the day on board.

Forecast for the next few days looks great.

If we continue to have fuel issues we can always hoist the sails. The pool towels would look sharp.

Crew have been great so far but had some marginal service in the DR at breakfast this morning.

May report more on occasion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2,000,000 gallons of fuel on Boat
12,000 per tanker
166 trucks needed. 
5 trucks an hour. 
34 hours to fuel boat. 
If 4 trucks per hour it could be Tuesday morning before sailing. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, virdios said:

12,000 per tanker
166 trucks needed. 
5 trucks an hour. 
34 hours to fuel boat. 

😱

30 minutes ago, virdios said:

12,000 per tanker
166 trucks needed. 
5 trucks an hour. 
34 hours to fuel boat. 

The ship is not completely empty when refueling.  Industry best practices requires that the ship have at minimum a 4-5 day reserve of fuel.  I would say she had at least 300-500,000 gallons (I've never dealt with fuel in gallons, just metric tons) upon arrival Boston.  The ship can easily receive 300 metric tons/hr (78,000 gal/hr), so the limiting factor is the pumping speed of the trucks, and whether they built a manifold to allow multiple trucks to pump at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The ship is not completely empty when refueling.  Industry best practices requires that the ship have at minimum a 4-5 day reserve of fuel.  I would say she had at least 300-500,000 gallons (I've never dealt with fuel in gallons, just metric tons) upon arrival Boston.  The ship can easily receive 300 metric tons/hr (78,000 gal/hr), so the limiting factor is the pumping speed of the trucks, and whether they built a manifold to allow multiple trucks to pump at the same time.

Looks like they did... 2 trucks pumping at same time...

Latest update from the captain.

We wont't make it on time (9:00am) to Corner Brook.

We are on a speed run at 22 knots since Boston, but Corner Brook is still roo far away. 

Instead, we will arrive by 11:30 am. However, port congestion requires us to leave the pier by 04:30pm.

The Emerald will leave the pier for an anchor position instead. Tendering will go from 5:00pm ro 07:30pm. No Princess Shore Excursions are cancelled. All just running later.

For the missed port of Sydney, we will receive 50 USD goodwill OBC.

I think Princess handled all this very well. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

No Princess Shore Excursions are cancelled.

Even the longer ones to Gros Morne National Park. 

Never heard of this before, leaving the pier, then anchor and tender. Well done. 

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

I was on the Emerald from Fort Lauderdale to Quebec June/July. Newport R.I. was cut from our itinerary and we got nothing. I wonder how they decide who deserves compensation?

As I remember right, the reason for cancelling Newport then was high winds. Which is totally not Princess fault.

In our case, the fuel barge contractor (chosen by Princess) failed. So maybe it's at least part of Princess fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

We are on a speed run at 22 knots since Boston, but Corner Brook is still roo far away. 

Instead, we will arrive by 11:30 am. However, port congestion requires us to leave the pier by 04:30pm.

The Emerald will leave the pier for an anchor position instead. Tendering will go from 5:00pm ro 07:30pm. No Princess Shore Excursions are cancelled. All just running later.

Thanks for sharing. I consider tendering a pain, even when I have priority for whatever reason. I'm not sure I would like tendering back onto the ship after walking off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

As I remember right, the reason for cancelling Newport then was high winds. Which is totally not Princess fault.

In our case, the fuel barge contractor (chosen by Princess) failed. So maybe it's at least part of Princess fault.

On my cruise, the Newport stop was cut in order to cruise more slowly to protect marine life. Apparently, there were not any port fees for Newport since we didn't get anything back.

12 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

Of course had Princess not decided to move Cornerbrook to today from Thursday for whatever reason we may have made it ok.  We found out about that change upon boarding and no email was given….that change had nothing to do with the fuel issue.   

1 hour ago, TW6cruiser said:

Of course had Princess not decided to move Cornerbrook to today from Thursday for whatever reason we may have made it ok.  We found out about that change upon boarding and no email was given….that change had nothing to do with the fuel issue.   

We were told that Corner Brook told Princess they did not have dock space on Thursday so we should move arrival to Wednesday or not come at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1