NCL Getaway to Harvest Caye, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan - need some help (first timer)

Posted (edited)

Wife and I are considering this cruise in early Nov.  It fits with the budget and timeframe we have available to us.  It is out of New Orleans of course.

I know little to nothing about NCL (we cancelled a cruise we had with them for this year a long time ago so haven't been on anything but RCL).

I know drink packages, perks, offers, service everything has changed.

Just need some guidance on what we can possibly live with or without on this ship.

Its about a $600 difference in price to go without the "open bar, wifi, specialty dining package).  Based on googling it seems we are better off sticking with the package than w/o as it appears the wifi package alone would cost us about $200+ each for the trip.  FYI we are not big drinkers but do drink soda and an occasional adult beverage.

Is there plenty to do on the Getaway to keep us entertained if we do not do a port day.

We are researching the ports now to see how interesting they may be - Costa Maya doesn't seem to get much love so far but Cozumel gets plenty.

Appreciate any advice you all care to share.

Thanks

EDIT - We are in our 50's relatively active (not major hikers or gym rats or anything like that but we can handle plenty of walking).  Wife is not adventurous I will do almost anything.

Just us no kids for this trip (they are adults anyway)

Edited by GCS2000

With the FAS package (the four items you listed), as you continue the booking process on the screen that shows the $ amounts, on the lower left of your computer screen, there is a box that lists the four FAS items.  You can uncheck the drink package to exclude that so you aren't charged for the gratuity on it.  I feel like the ~ $20 or $22 per person gratuity on the FAS meals is worth having the two meals.  There is no charge to you for the "free" internet or $50 off first person's excursions.  Just be sure to always sign out when you are using the internet.

Costa Maya is my very favorite stop.  Just off the ship in the main plaza, several men in native costumes will climb a very tall pole.  Once on top to the beat of aa very loud drum, they will swing off the platform and dance all the way down to solid ground.  It is amazing to watch.  It is a free show however they do ask for donations.  There is lots of shopping in the plaza area.

The Freestyle Daily will show all the activities for the day from early morning to late in the evening.  Joy of "Freestyle" you can do or as little as you wish.

During the day The Waterfront area is a great place to see, watch the world go by or take a nap--maybe all three.

Enjoy, have a wonderful cruise.

11 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

With the FAS package (the four items you listed), as you continue the booking process on the screen that shows the $ amounts, on the lower left of your computer screen, there is a box that lists the four FAS items.  You can uncheck the drink package to exclude that so you aren't charged for the gratuity on it.  I feel like the ~ $20 or $22 per person gratuity on the FAS meals is worth having the two meals.  There is no charge to you for the "free" internet or $50 off first person's excursions.  Just be sure to always sign out when you are using the internet.

Is the "free" internet really free and is it good enough to text, check email, and light web searching?  Wife needs to keep up with the family and I with work.  We don't need heavy streaming or the ability to work just communicate.

My husband and I have done this itinerary numerous times on various ships, both with large groups and just as a couple. In fact, we have it booked for this coming January. We haven't been on the Getaway yet but have sailed it's sister ship the Breakaway several times.

The way we look at it, if we are going to have 3 or more drinks a day then paying the gratuities on the "free" beverage package is worth it.  If you know you aren't going to drink that much, then just decline the offer.

The specialty dining is worth it.  The specialty restaurants are significantly better than the MDRs in our experience. 

Don't miss the shows at Syd Norman's! Hang out at the Sunset Bar and watch for the line to start forming.  When it's about 20 people deep, jump in line. 

Here are some activity ideas.

Costa Maya- transportation to town of Mahahual for a chill beach day, beach club or Mayan ruins.

Cozumel- boat snorkeling, beach club (Money bar) for shore snorkel, all inclusive beach resort, Chankanab park, ATV tour, shopping

Roatan- zip line, monkey park, beach resort with day pass

Harvest Cay- beach, zip line, kayaking

For us, if we stay on the ship, we are happy just to chill.  So, the Waterfront area is great as is the pool deck because most people get off.

Be sure and enjoy New Orleans too.  Fabulous food and music.  Easy to walk around the French Quarter. 

Let me know if you have more specific questions.  I'm happy to help.

5 minutes ago, GCS2000 said:

Is the "free" internet really free and is it good enough to text, check email, and light web searching?  Wife needs to keep up with the family and I with work.  We don't need heavy streaming or the ability to work just communicate.

The free minutes are really free, but it isn't unlimited.  Yes, it's enough for those things but be sure to sign out every time or it will keep using your minutes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

The free minutes are really free, but it isn't unlimited.  Yes, it's enough for those things but be sure to sign out every time or it will keep using your minutes. 

So the FAS package that includes wifi is limited mins as well?

I don't think the drink package is worth it for us.  At best we would drink 2 sodas a day each and maybe 1 alcoholic drink a day if that (I rarely drink and when I do its like one beer here and there).

Thanks for the helpful replies!

1 minute ago, GCS2000 said:

So the FAS package that includes wifi is limited mins as well?

I don't think the drink package is worth it for us.  At best we would drink 2 sodas a day each and maybe 1 alcoholic drink a day if that (I rarely drink and when I do its like one beer here and there).

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Yes, it's a certain number of minutes, depending on your length of sail. 

Sail Length Internet Minutes Per Person
3-6 Nights 75 minutes
7-11 Nights 150 minutes
12+ Nights 300 minutes

21 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

Yes, it's a certain number of minutes, depending on your length of sail. 

Sail Length Internet Minutes Per Person
3-6 Nights 75 minutes
7-11 Nights 150 minutes
12+ Nights 300 minutes

That's not a lot, hmm didn't realize that was limited.  Appreciate the heads up.

With the wifi packages being pricey on their own that kinda stinks.

Native choice does a very good job taking people to minor Mayan ruins, and then having lunch cooked by Mayan grandmothers.

If you like animals, Victor Bodden will let you see monkeys and sloths in Roatan.  Roatan has excellent snorkling if you don't like animals (you can do both though)

1 hour ago, GCS2000 said:

That's not a lot, hmm didn't realize that was limited.  Appreciate the heads up.

If your cell phone service has economical option for Mexico/Caribbean, you could use that while in ports to save on your internet minutes.  It would be worth it to check if that's a better deal than buying packages from NCL.

1 hour ago, GCS2000 said:

You could upgrade ONE of you to unlimited and just take turns.

Have traveled on most main stream cruise lines. I say give NCL a chance. Doesn't hurt to widen your cruise experiences and see if you like it. If not, you can go back to Royal.

I am not a big drinker - beer only. There are days that I come no where near my daily gratuities cost. Others, pretty close. I choose to pay the gratuities and not worry about if I want that extra soda or beer. The cost is pretty low for me - but I'm a solo cruiser.

The specialty dining is worth keeping. The internet is fine for one person as long as you can use your phone onshore with your mobile plan and remember to sign off when using your minutes. If you need a phone on at all times, upgrade for one. You can sign out and sign on with different devices, no need for both to upgrade.

I have sailed the itinerary you are looking at multiple times. I love Roatan, great if you like the beach and seeing fish from shore. My favorite memory is my young grandson finding a starfish that he put in a bucket and showed off, then returned to the water. Second favorite, standing knee deep in water and watching the fish swim around you.  In Costa Maya I get out of the port area and take the shuttle downtown. Know it's still not the "real thing," but it is less crowded and you can get a massage with the waves in the background for a very reasonable price. Just heaven to me. In Cozumel you can do either the ocean things or the shopping/port things or both. Harvest Caye I have not been to, but would use that as a beach day like a private island. From my point of view I don't think the Belize port area is worth the effort/expense to get there.

I cruised on Royal in November, NCL in August and January and Carnival in March. Right now I have two NCL cruises booked and none with the other lines. Keep in mind that I am traveling solo on one of those and I just think NCL does solos the best. The other I'm traveling with two who will take major advantage of the drink package which was a big selling point for NCL.

7 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Native choice does a very good job taking people to minor Mayan ruins, and then having lunch cooked by Mayan grandmothers.

If you like animals, Victor Bodden will let you see monkeys and sloths in Roatan.  Roatan has excellent snorkling if you don't like animals (you can do both though)

Curious what the "Native Choice" is -- an excursion offered by the ship?  In Costa Maya? Thanks

I'm curious about what can be expected in Harvest Caye.  I know it's a private island, with a pool and beach and expensive food and drinks.  But has anyone taken the ferry over to Placencia?  Would you mind telling me how that works -- buy tickets on the ship or in the Harvest Caye "village"?  Are you assigned a time to go over and come back?  How much choice do you have in the assigned times/length of time on Placencia?  I've seen very little about Harvest Caye, so I'm hoping someone can give me some info.  I'm going on Oceania, not Norwegian, and I think it's a new port for them.  I'm not really looking forward to having a beach day, but things seem quite limited there if you want to go somewhere else.  So any general info on what to see or do there would be appreciated. 

I have been to Costa Maya, and I enjoyed a half day excursion to the Mayan ruins of Chacchoben.  I also like spending a few hours in the afternoon exploring the little town and beach of Mahahual, which is maybe a 5 to 10 minute drive from the port.  When I was there, I took a quick and inexpensive taxi.  But if a shuttle is offered by Oceania, that will be even better.  

I've also been to Roatan.  There seem to be a good amount of things to do there.  I'm going there again, so this time I think I'll take a tour that goes to see monkeys and sloths, plus iguanas.  (Has anyone been to the iguana farm?)

9 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I'm curious about what can be expected in Harvest Caye.  I know it's a private island, with a pool and beach and expensive food and drinks.  But has anyone taken the ferry over to Placencia?  Would you mind telling me how that works -- buy tickets on the ship or in the Harvest Caye "village"?  Are you assigned a time to go over and come back?  How much choice do you have in the assigned times/length of time on Placencia?  I've seen very little about Harvest Caye, so I'm hoping someone can give me some info.  I'm going on Oceania, not Norwegian, and I think it's a new port for them.  I'm not really looking forward to having a beach day, but things seem quite limited there if you want to go somewhere else.  So any general info on what to see or do there would be appreciated. 

Harvet Caye is a pool and beach day for most. A handful of activities available on island

Oceania may have different procedures for the Placencia ferry.

On NCL you buy a ticket at the excursion desk before arrival, and get an assigned return time. There is not a lot over there, a couple beach resorts with day passes, but mostly people go there if there is an excursion being operated from there.

• Thanks 1

I think there is lots to do if you decide to stay on the ship for Harvest Caye - I did find this on youtube for a 'review' of Harvest Caye.  I sent this to friends to give them an idea of what to expect.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2LJv5MWcw

I think the drink package is worth it...the FAS gratuities is $152.60 per person, divide that by 7 days and it is $21.80 per day per person.  I don't drink much, but if I'm on vacation, a cold beer or frozen drink always taste better!  I do enjoy a glass of wine at dinner. So, of course this is a personal decision but you were open to opinions.  

Also, the dining package is worth it if you like to enjoy the speciality dining rooms, this comes to about $11.80 per meal per person.  You have the choice of french (Le Bistro), italian (La Cucina), steak house (Cagney's), seafood (Ocean Blue) and Teppanyaki.  So if you enjoy eating out and maybe splurging on vacation, then the FAS dining is a great value.

The internet is 150 minutes each - but I usually use the internet in Costa Maya, Cozumel and Roatan to check text, emails, etc and save my 150 minutes for sea days and Harvest Caye.

I really enjoyed the Breakaway and the Getaway is the same layout.  You should enjoy deck 8, the waterfront for lots of open seating and fresh air.  

Enjoy your cruise

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 12:58 PM, GCS2000 said:

Wife and I are considering this cruise in early Nov.  It fits with the budget and timeframe we have available to us.  It is out of New Orleans of course.

I know little to nothing about NCL (we cancelled a cruise we had with them for this year a long time ago so haven't been on anything but RCL).

I know drink packages, perks, offers, service everything has changed.

Just need some guidance on what we can possibly live with or without on this ship.

Its about a $600 difference in price to go without the "open bar, wifi, specialty dining package).  Based on googling it seems we are better off sticking with the package than w/o as it appears the wifi package alone would cost us about $200+ each for the trip.  FYI we are not big drinkers but do drink soda and an occasional adult beverage.

Is there plenty to do on the Getaway to keep us entertained if we do not do a port day.

We are researching the ports now to see how interesting they may be - Costa Maya doesn't seem to get much love so far but Cozumel gets plenty.

Appreciate any advice you all care to share.

Thanks

EDIT - We are in our 50's relatively active (not major hikers or gym rats or anything like that but we can handle plenty of walking).  Wife is not adventurous I will do almost anything.

Just us no kids for this trip (they are adults anyway)

Look at the package this way--will you spend $20/day each on sodas or adult beverages? 

If so, then get it. If not, you can just keep the wifi minutes each. If you need unlimited wifi, my advice is to wait until day 2 or 3 and THEN upgrade (just use your minutes b4 that)

Cozumel--have done Nachi Cochum many times, its our go to there. All-inclusive, and they limit the number of people so never crowded. Beach & pool.

Have also done a tour with tequlia tasting, Mayan ruins, island tour & cooking class. (yep, all in one--it was terrific!)

Costa Maya--very underrated, but you need a plan. There is a nice little port area.

We have done Mayan Ruins--highly recommend.

But now we either go to Jaime's at the Blue Reef or Maya Chan, both All-inclusives.

Maya Chan is more resort-like.

Jaime's is just a small piece of beach, but he comes & visits with everyone & his food is great!

Harvest Caye is their developed island/beach--not officially private, as you will have to pay for drinks & food there.

Roatan--we have never ventured further than wandering around the port area.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 3:13 PM, GCS2000 said:

You may want to delay your purchase of an upgrade to the internet package until day two. Changes are you'll have mobile data as you sail down the Mississippi on the first evening, so you won't need data. Transparently, I haven't sailed the Mississippi, so don't know how great data is, but I'm thinking it'll probably be ok depending on your carrier (we get our chance to do this exact sailing in February). 

If you wait until day two, you'll receive a slight discount as the package will be pro-rated based on number of days you're onboard (you need some minutes in your Free at Sea package still available to you in order to upgrade). Alternatively, you could conserve your 150 minutes for sea days and see what type of service your cell carrier provides when in Roatan, Belize, and Mexico. For us (Verizon and my plan), we are able to purchase a day's worth of data for $10 per device. This worked for us on our last cruise and I didn't upgrade to the Free at Sea internet. Having said that, I did want more, but I dealt with not being totally connected. 

Have fun and I hope you come back to give us a review of your trip!!

Roatan - go to the West Bay Area and snorkel. Best you will find. NCL offers the Tabayana Beach Break which goes to that area or you can check with Victor Boden and other groups. Of course you can go on your own and most hotels there offer day passes. 

• Thanks 1