Azamara Onward - Balcony or Ocean View Cabin - Panama Canal

panda5

I booked a Panama Canal cruise for this December and originally booked a Balcony cabin.  Having sailed on Azamara a few months ago in an Ocean View Cabin I asked my TA if there is an OV Cabin available ..... and there is (and much cheaper).  My question is how important is it to be in a Balcony Cabin or would an OV cabin be OK - Im particularly thinking of the Panama Canal day.  Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, panda5 said:

I booked a Panama Canal cruise for this December and originally booked a Balcony cabin.  Having sailed on Azamara a few months ago in an Ocean View Cabin I asked my TA if there is an OV Cabin available ..... and there is (and much cheaper).  My question is how important is it to be in a Balcony Cabin or would an OV cabin be OK - Im particularly thinking of the Panama Canal day.  Thanks. 

Hi, In the last 18 months I have been on 2 cruises with Azamara that included a transit of the Panama Canal (one in each direction).  On the first cruise I was in a balcony stateroom and on the second one I was in an ocean view stateroom.  During both canal transits I was barely in either stateroom.  I spent most of the time at various locations on decks 9, 10 or 11.  The Sunset Veranda at the stern on deck 9 is a great place to get some lovely pictures and enjoy the transit.  It will be fine and you will thoroughly enjoy the transit (and save money) if you choose to switch to an ocean view cabin.

Regards, Paul

• Like 4

If the big savings is in one of the obstructed view rooms, nope, go balcony! Otherwise, OV anywhere but Deck 6 is the way to go. We love balconies, for breakfast, afternoon drinks, reading a book, or breathing ocean air. For sightseeing, use the public areas and save money for the next cruise. Enjoy!

We have an aft-facing balcony for our Panama Canal cruise in December. We plan to do at least one lock in the cabin, for an uncrowded, close-up look. We will probably do other locks up on deck, and maybe one in the Living Room. 

I think it's fun to watch the process from different locations. 

• Like 2

Deck 5 for an open deck is a great place to see at least one lock. 
We’ve done 4 transits now and our advice would be try and see every lock from a different spot. So front, back, high, low etc
At least with Azamara moving from port to starboard whenever you want only takes you 30 seconds 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, uktog said:

Deck 5 for an open deck is a great place to see at least one lock. 
We’ve done 4 transits now and our advice would be try and see every lock from a different spot. So front, back, high, low etc
At least with Azamara moving from port to starboard whenever you want only takes you 30 seconds 

Oops meant to say a lock I wasn’t suggesting running around during a single lock though you can do that. 
We would typically start a down flight at the front, see one chamber, maybe then do a side then do the final chamber at the back. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 7:09 PM, panda5 said:

Another vote for deck viewing on transit day, it's a no brainer. As someone else noted, it takes very little time to traverse the outside decks. Our PC trip was on a much larger ship, it was easily manageable, so Azamara will be a breeze! 

• Like 2

I decided a long time ago that because the Azamara ships are not big it's very easy to find an open space nearby, so depending on my mood and finances at the time am quite happy to go with an OV. Coupled with the fact that I really like the position of the category 5 cabins. Better than some of the balconies in my view. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sailed Oceania last year through the canal (the ship was basically the same configuration as the AZ fleet).  No need for a balcony through the canal as everyone else has stated, as deck viewing is much better.  The only reason to upgrade to a balcony depends on your cruise itinerary, number of sea days etc.