Iceland, Greenland, Canada trip

Vacation Nut

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..."; and thanks for sharing!See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Vacation Nut was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

This is our first Viking cruise and we have just boarded in Reykjavik. We flew in from Boston and arrived at 8:30 am. Easy transit through immigration and customs and then all ( there were at least 4) the Viking reps were there waiting for us, sporting their red scarves. They took our bags and then we boarded a coach for the ship, arriving at about 10:45 am. We were straight on, but cabins did not open until 1:30 pm. I loved the way they did the safety briefing as we arrived, directing us straight to the muster station and a quick demo. 
We did a little exploring and ended up in Explorer’s lounge which is beautiful and views are amazing. 
Our cabin is very nice (just a regular balcony cabin) and it is the best bathroom we have ever had on a ship. 
Wifi is good so I will post frequently. 
No rain, cloudy, 52F/11C

IMG_1103.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

Edited by Vacation Nut
Spelling change
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

We just booked this itinerary for Jun 2026, with our first Viking cruise booked in Aug 2025 from Reykjavik to Bergen. Here’s hoping you have an awesome cruise, as we look forward to reading about your first time adventures with Viking! 😁

Day 2 Heimaey: 55F/ Sunny/ Windy
After a very windy night I was worried that we would not be able to anchor at Heimaey, but we woke to a beautiful day. Our excursion was at 11:00 and we were instructed to gather in the theater at 10:30 to tender over. It was an incredibly easy process. Heimaey is gorgeous and after a visit to the museum - well worth it, we walked over the lava fields and finally down into town and to the Beluga Sanctuary. The last tender back was 3:00, and that was easy too. So nice being on a smaller ship when tendering is involved; no long lines. 
We continue to discover lovely places on the ship to sit or play games or talk to fellow guests.

Oh, and there is a Mahjongg set on this ship with some cards inside for the American game - now I need to find three people to play with.

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1167.jpeg

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1181.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

• Like 5

The nice thing about multiple trips on Viking is that you keep “discovering” things. On our last trip, with many sea days, I “discovered” the cooking classes. On one of our trips, I “discovered” the Hide…and that it was a great place to hear about previous trips taken by our lectures and guests, while enjoying a glass of wine. Always something new.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

The nice thing about multiple trips on Viking is that you keep “discovering” things. On our last trip, with many sea days, I “discovered” the cooking classes. On one of our trips, I “discovered” the Hide…and that it was a great place to hear about previous trips taken by our lectures and guests, while enjoying a glass of wine. Always something new.

What is the "Hide"?

16 minutes ago, Tsunami74 said:

What is the "Hide"?

It only exists on the expedition ships, Octantis and Polaris. A somewhat concealed small lounge to interact with lecturers, senior staff, etc. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

Day 3: Djopivogur. Colder today but no rain. This lovely little village has only 420 people. Did the Scenic Nature Walk which was nice but not active enough ( too much stopping and talking). The scenery is beautiful and tendering was a breeze. Looking forward to tonight’s lecture from a polar explorer. 

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_1216.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

It only exists on the expedition ships, Octantis and Polaris. A somewhat concealed small lounge to interact with lecturers, senior staff, etc. 🍺🥌

It is also a great place to “hide” away in the afternoon, curled up with a glass of wine and good book!

• Like 2

Day 4 Seydisfjordur - 45F no rain but cloudy. What a beautiful little port. Anyone “doing” iceland who likes a good walk, do the Nature Hike - the waterfalls and meadow views were wonderful.

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Diamond Circle v Natural Wonders. 
we docked in Akureyri yesterday and did the 8 hour Diamond circle but although we enjoyed it I think the Natural Wonders  7 hours would have been better

Diamond Circle  stopped at lava fields,   

Dettifoss, lava canyon overlook, lunch, and Husavik. The only reason it s demanding is the 15 minute ( if fast) walk to the waterfall. Husavik is a bathroom stop only, the “lava fields” is a short stroll on a paved path.

Natural Wonders stopped at Godafoss, lava fields and the hot springs,  lunch was at the same place. 

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2024 at 10:57 AM, Vacation Nut said:

Day 3: Djopivogur. . Did the Scenic Nature Walk which was nice but not active enough ( too much stopping and talking). 

On 8/19/2024 at 10:57 AM, Vacation Nut said:

We frequently feel like the included walks aren't active enough. I realize others are not looking for that, but we get bored and it hurts our backs to stand in one place for a long time...we'd rather be walking. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

On Greenland, the included tour in Nanortalik is On Your Own.  The port talk said that there aren’t enough local guides. Get out there and walk at your own pace. You want active, take off and go for it. I don’t mind slow walkers. They do what they can.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Redtravel said:

On Greenland, the included tour in Nanortalik is On Your Own.  The port talk said that there aren’t enough local guides. Get out there and walk at your own pace. You want active, take off and go for it. I don’t mind slow walkers. They do what they can.

Not worth going.  A town of small huts. The walk is longer than advertised.  
The sail into Greenland was spectacular. The scenery is beautiful.  

This is our last night, we reach Boston in the morning. Greenland, especially Prince Christian Sound, was great. I will finish this thread when I get home. So lucky with the weather. 

• Like 1

Our cruise is over, but it was spectacular. Not a port missed, although one stop in Greenland was very foggy. We had one or two rocky days/nights, but a superb crew hot us to our stops on time. Highlights:

traversing Prince Christian Sound in brilliant sunshine - Greenland

Waterfall hike - Seydisfjordur, Iceland

Great lectures by John Lippiett, Sue Stockdale

l’Anse aux meadows- Newfoundland

Crew and ship - excellent

Chef’s Table - British menu

Four singers and 6 shows - great voices

Heimaey, Nanortalik, Halifax - nice walking ports

Finally, the sunrise pulling into Boston before disembarkation was amazing.

What a cruise. 

IMG_1635.jpeg

IMG_1690.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

Edited by Vacation Nut
Photo didn’t load
  • Like 4