Escape: No Hot Water or AC. Minimal Resolution. How To Get Support?

Have a club balcony room on Escape, been struggling with plumbing and HVAC the entire cruise (along with housekeeeping). Yesterday it finally gave out. No hot water and intermittent AC. 

Reports of the issues documented almost daily. 

The only resolution offered by the ship is a $200 ship credit and the ability to shower and use an inside stateroom 4 floors above me (I feel like a college dorm student right now). I respect there may not be other staterooms to move to, but the credit amount in insulting based on what I’m paying per day. I’m definitely not happy. 

Clearly something more should be offered to make it right but getting any leadership to speak with is nearly impossible. They offered a meeting tomorrow with a manager to discuss. Open to suggestions about what to ask for and how to actually get something comparable with the inconveniences we’ve experienced.

Posted (edited)

You don't say how packed your cruise is or not. If it's just about full, this might be all they can offer you. 

If I'm reading correctly, it's just that your cabin isn't getting hot water and that your toilet and sink are still okay.

If it happened to me, I would go to Guest Services and sweetly ask if I could have a pass for the sailing to the Thermal Suite. That way, you could relax and do your showering there. 

Hopefully, the engineering team can fix it before you disembark. If not, once you do disembark, put a cabin report in the pinned thread at the top of this forum, so that future travelers will know it might have issues.

Edited by Ellis1138
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

If it happened to me, I would go to Guest Services and sweetly ask if I could have a pass for the sailing to the Thermal Suite. That way, you could relax and do your showering there. 

Yes.  This.  That's a solid recommendation and kind of surprised they didn't offer that to you to start with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Awesomefamadventure said:

Have a club balcony room on Escape, been struggling with plumbing and HVAC the entire cruise (along with housekeeeping). Yesterday it finally gave out. No hot water and intermittent AC. 

The only resolution offered by the ship is a $200 ship credit and the ability to shower and use an inside stateroom 4 floors above me (I feel like a college dorm student right now). I respect there may not be other staterooms to move to, but the credit amount in insulting based on what I’m paying per day. I’m definitely not happy. 

Clearly something more should be offered to make it right but getting any leadership to speak with is nearly impossible. They offered a meeting tomorrow with a manager to discuss. Open to suggestions about what to ask for and how to actually get something comparable with the inconveniences we’ve experienced.

Ask for the General Manager.  I'm not sure if Kivanc is still on board..He's a great General Manager.  If not fully booked, ask for an upgrade.  Let him know your an active Cruise Critic cruiser and their  response is being documented.  If they give you passes to the SPA, would help you out.  Always ask for more than you expect...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Awesomefamadventure said:

Deleted

Edited by zqvol

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

You don't say how packed your cruise is or not. If it's just about full, this might be all they can offer you. 

If I'm reading correctly, it's just that your cabin isn't getting hot water and that your toilet and sink are still okay.

Hopefully, the engineering team can fix it before you disembark. If not, once you do disembark, put a cabin report in the pinned thread at the top of this forum, so that future travelers will know it might have issues.

Thanks. I wonder if it’s because we have children with us? It’s also the stateroom issue - there are no available rooms that fit four.

2 hours ago, sunshine55 said:

Ask for the General Manager.  I'm not sure if Kivanc is still on board..He's a great General Manager.  If not fully booked, ask for an upgrade.  Let him know you’re an active Cruise Critic cruiser and their  response is being documented.  If they give you passes to the SPA, would help you out.  Always ask for more than you expect...

He’s supposed to be the current GM (his picture is up), but I’ve asked multiple supervisors to speak to him or setup a meeting and the answer has been no each time. 

According to the assistant GM the only option allowed by corporate NCL is the $200 cruise credit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Awesomefamadventure said:

Thanks. I wonder if it’s because we have children with us? It’s also the stateroom issue - there are no available rooms that fit four.

Ah yeah, that would be an issue as to being able to re-cabin you and the children can't use the thermal suite at all.

• Like 1

Did maintenance say why you had no hot water? Just asking because our first day on the Jade last week we had no hot water. 

Husband being the handy man he is looked at it and called to request maintenance come fix it. They tried to tell him he was using the knobs wrong repeatedly. 

He tried telling them what was wrong repeatedly and to come fix it. Came back from dinner and it was fixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Try calling handheld phone 28888 to get the general manager. Ask if the problem is being worked on? Has anyone bothered to tell you if it is?

Been probably attempted to be fixed three times (6 hours total) over 3 days. We finally asked them to just let us be so we could enjoy our vacation. I have kids that need to nap.

44 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Did maintenance say why you had no hot water? Just asking because our first day on the Jade last week we had no hot water. 

Husband being the handy man he is looked at it and called to request maintenance come fix it. They tried to tell him he was using the knobs wrong repeatedly. 

He tried telling them what was wrong repeatedly and to come fix it. Came back from dinner and it was fixed.

No idea. They’ve attempted to fix it three different times, spending time in the bathroom and hallway outside the room. No idea. Varying pressure too beyond no heat.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Awesomefamadventure said:

No idea. They’ve attempted to fix it three different times, spending time in the bathroom and hallway outside the room. No idea. Varying pressure too beyond no heat.

Wow that's frustrating. And the solution they offered you is horrible.

• Like 1

Coming to Cruise Critic is not going to solve the issue of fixing the plumbing or getting compensation.  I had to shower in the spa once in a Haven penthouse because the water was so messed up. I never got a cent nor did I ask for anything.  If there is nowhere to move then you are unfortunately stuck.  Hopefully maintenance can fix the hot water issue.  That sounds simple compared to major plumbing issues that can happen on a ship.  If you meet with the manager and put your focus on compensation instead of fixing the problem you will be very disappointed.  Even without hot water you can still use the toilet, brush your teeth, etc.

Worst case scenario what if NCL moves you to the inside stateroom and refunds you the difference from the balcony.  Deal?

41 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Wouldn't it be quite crowded for four persons in an Inside room?

Would it not be just as crowded in a balcony cabin?  I am talking about solutions.  If there is no other balcony cabins to move to its either walk to the shower or move to the smaller room?
Unless it gets fixed those are the options.  NCL is not going to give a free cruise because hot water is out a day or two.  $200 and a place to shower is not ideal but there are no magic powers.  Its easy to criticize when you dont have to find a solution.  What happens if NCL fixes it tonight or tomorrow?  It seems the OP is concerned about compensation rather than the repair.  The OP admits he is preventing NCL from fixing the issue and will not allow maintenance to continue to repair the issue.  The OP would have me 100% in his corner if maintenance was allowed in every day to try and fix it.  Take your kids out of the cabin while maintenance does their work if it bothers them.  When you prevent maintenance from coming to the cabin while demanding compensation rubs me the wrong way.  Sorry 😧

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Would it not be just as crowded in a balcony cabin? 

On the Escape, Inside staterooms are approximately 135 sq ft while Balcony cabins are about 207 sq ft, so no, it would not be as crowded in a Balcony as an Inside.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Awesomefamadventure said:

Call the General Manager directly. No emotion. Clearly communicate the issue you want resolved. The GM is second to the Captain, so treat him with respect. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Would it not be just as crowded in a balcony cabin?  I am talking about solutions.  If there is no other balcony cabins to move to its either walk to the shower or move to the smaller room?
Unless it gets fixed those are the options.  NCL is not going to give a free cruise because hot water is out a day or two.  $200 and a place to shower is not ideal but there are no magic powers.  Its easy to criticize when you dont have to find a solution.  What happens if NCL fixes it tonight or tomorrow?  It seems the OP is concerned about compensation rather than the repair.  The OP admits he is preventing NCL from fixing the issue and will not allow maintenance to continue to repair the issue.  The OP would have me 100% in his corner if maintenance was allowed in every day to try and fix it.  Take your kids out of the cabin while maintenance does their work if it bothers them.  When you prevent maintenance from coming to the cabin while demanding compensation rubs me the wrong way.  Sorry 😧

On a 10 day cruise, don’t have hot water or pressure for 4 days (now). Allowed maintenance access generously multiple days for hours. Was woken up by maintenance even with do not disturb on yesterday. Since we can shower in the other room, I’d rather enjoy what I can of our vacation than continue to spend hours and hours dealing with it. 

As such, it is down to compensation since there are no other room offers that will fit our family and according to the latest maintenance there is no fix. 

Cruise Critic is the best place to ask this question because it’s a community of experienced cruisers who may have had similar issues, and it’s also followed by NCL who can read what their customers are dealing with. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Awesomefamadventure said:

On a 10 day cruise, don’t have hot water or pressure for 4 days (now). Allowed maintenance access generously multiple days for hours. Was woken up by maintenance even with do not disturb on yesterday. Since we can shower in the other room, I’d rather enjoy what I can of our vacation than continue to spend hours and hours dealing with it. 

As such, it is down to compensation since there are no other room offers that will fit our family and according to the latest maintenance there is no fix. 

Cruise Critic is the best place to ask this question because it’s a community of experienced cruisers who may have had similar issues, and it’s also followed by NCL who can read what their customers are dealing with. 

I wish you all the best. You came here asking for thoughts.  Things like this happen in hotels and cruise ships.  Having no hot water is not the same as no water at all which sometimes happens.  Giving you and your family access to another cabin to shower was a good start in addition to the $200.  However your post seemed more focused on getting OBC than fixing the problem.  The priority should be fixing the problem.  When you prevent access from the professionals who run the ship  to fix things in your cabin makes your argument for compensation that much less credible.  Imagine if you allowed access every day and the problem was not fixed the entire cruise.  Your position suddenly gets much more valid.  On the flip side, imagine the problem was fixed on the 4th day.  You are only cheating yourself IMHO.  If I was in your position, I would let the professionals have access to my cabin so that the rest of the cruise can be so much less problematic.  Instead you are preventing the problem from being fixed while asking for more compensation.  Imagine the frustration the crew must feel that this issue is being allowed to drag on possibly to the next cruise.  If I was in your shoes I would want the problem fixed instead of more compensation.  To each their own I guess.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sucks to be on a cruise with children, not have hot water/ac not working well and paid premium.  I hope Kivanc and you can get this rectified immediately.  

We were on the Jade and toilets stopped working on a dozen cabins.  Took a full day to rectify it.  My hubby told them if it wasn't fixed before we went to bed, he was knocking on officers cabin to use his toilet!!..lol

• Like 3

It seems that OP is looking for compensation not a satisfactory resolution. It’s no wonder NCL is digging in its heels. Going the GM for compensation instead of a resolution is a waste of time. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It seems that OP is looking for compensation not a satisfactory resolution. It’s no wonder NCL is digging in its heels. Going the GM for compensation instead of a resolution is a waste of time. 

Please don't misinterpret me, but what would be a satisfactory resolution?

It's day 8, no hot water still. How much time do you think it's appropriate to allow maintenance to be in your stateroom before you need to put your kids to bed or nap? For example, today we were out of our cabin from 10 - 6:30 (off the ship 12-6:30), and said goodbye to our cabin attendant. Do you think they would have tried to fix it during that time? Well, still no hot water on return.

It's not like we're blocking access to our room. Our stateroom is cleaned daily. They can work on it. We just asked the respect our do not disturb - we have children, naps, bedtimes. I think it's fair to not ask them to be working on plumbing in our bathroom at 9pm, especially since we don't have another room to put our children?

I completely agree I'd love to simply let them repair it and enjoy. But I'm also paying significant amounts of money to have a vacation with my family, and sadly there is no real resolution NCL can offer - they don't have any other rooms to accommodate us. They cannot seem to fix the problem or don't have the resources to fix the problem. We have given them time to fix the problem (they've probably spent 6 hours in our room over various days where we've had to leave - plus there has likely been time when we haven't been in our room). 

At this point I actually spoke to Kivanic, he informed us that there are no other rooms that will fit our family. And there is no ETA on resolution. So, with 1.5 days left, after already sailing 8 and giving them day after day to do anything, is compensation not warranted?

Edited by Awesomefamadventure
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Awesomefamadventure said:

Please don't misinterpret me, but what would be a satisfactory resolution?

It's day 8, no hot water still. How much time do you think it's appropriate to allow maintenance to be in your stateroom before you need to put your kids to bed or nap? For example, today we were out of our cabin from 10 - 6:30 (off the ship 12-6:30), and said goodbye to our cabin attendant. Do you think they would have tried to fix it during that time? Well, still no hot water on return.

It's not like we're blocking access to our room. Our stateroom is cleaned daily. They can work on it. We just asked the respect our do not disturb - we have children, naps, bedtimes. I think it's fair to not ask them to be working on plumbing in our bathroom at 9pm, especially since we don't have another room to put our children?

I completely agree I'd love to simply let them repair it and enjoy. But I'm also paying significant amounts of money to have a vacation with my family, and sadly there is no real resolution NCL can offer - they don't have any other rooms to accommodate us. They cannot seem to fix the problem or don't have the resources to fix the problem. We have given them time to fix the problem (they've probably spent 6 hours in our room over various days where we've had to leave - plus there has likely been time when we haven't been in our room). 

At this point I actually spoke to Kivanic, he informed us that there are no other rooms that will fit our family. And there is no ETA on resolution. So, with 1.5 days left, after already sailing 8 and giving them day after day to do anything, is compensation not warranted?

Make sure you have your compensation before you leave the ship because it is widely reported that your odds of getting anything after you leave the ship are very small. 

• Like 3