Regent- Stranded! Last minute change 🙀

2 hours ago, silkismom said:

We are supposed to board the Silversea Muse in Seward on Sept 11, they put us up in the Capt Cook hotel and have transfers to the port--where ever it is. No word on any changes. 

The two port schedules I just checked show the Silver Muse in Seward on September 12. Is September 11 the date you arrive in Anchorage and stay overnight at the Captain Cook hotel?

Dave

5 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Dave, did the Port Authority make the port change mandatory, or merely make a request? 

Rich, this is obviously secondhand information but I believe my brother told me that the Port Authority closed Seward to Regent for its arrival on the 11th, necessitating the move to Whittier. 

Dave

59 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

Rich, this is obviously secondhand information but I believe my brother told me that the Port Authority closed Seward to Regent for its arrival on the 11th, necessitating the move to Whittier. 

Dave

I sure hope that is the case. If so, the port authority is the “bad guy” here and not Regent. I have trouble believing that the Regent - Port Authority contract would allow this cancellation, but these days it seems that such entities will do anything. But in that case, Regent would be a victim. I just wish Regent would tell us their story directly.

8 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I just wish Regent would tell us their story directly.

Why do you need to know ?

It won’t change the outcome ………… and probably won’t change the views of those with conspiracy theories about the reason for the port change.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

have trouble believing that the Regent - Port Authority contract would allow this cancellation

OMG Dolebludger, you demanded an explanation, you got a very reasonable explanation, and now you doubt the explanation.  What's it going to take for you to accept that Regent (or any cruise line) won't change a embarkation point randomly.  Can you even imagine the logistics involved?  Port workers, Customs agents, Check in desk workers. caterers, fuelers, bus transportation, rerouting of air arrangements not just for passengers but any crew members leaving or joining the ship.  Seriously?  It could just be what was explained. Why can't you just say "thanks for the explanation" instead of "I have trouble believing this?"

• Like 12

6 hours ago, flossie009 said:

It won’t change the outcome ………… and probably won’t change the views of those with conspiracy theories about the reason for the port change.

Agree!  While it might quell curiosity, I'm just thankful Regents provided options for those of us with plans to or from Seward. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, silkismom said:

We are supposed to board the Silversea Muse in Seward on Sept 11, they put us up in the Capt Cook hotel and have transfers to the port--where ever it is. No word on any changes. 

We are also boarding the Silver Muse on the 12th in Seward. We are taking the Alaskan Railway down to Seward.

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I want to know because I like to trade with companies I can trust and avoid those I can’t.  Especially when spending as much as a Regent cruise costs. Like many, we like to have a pre-cruise land stay of more than one night. Setting those up often takes much effort, and changing them on two or three weeks notice takes more. In our 25 or so years of fairly regular cruising on several lines we have ever even heard of an embarkation port change — certainly not on short notice. I want FULL info on this to consider in choosing future cruises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I want to know because I like to trade with companies I can trust and avoid those I can’t.  Especially when spending as much as a Regent cruise costs. Like many, we like to have a pre-cruise land stay of more than one night. Setting those up often takes much effort, and changing them on two or three weeks notice takes more. In our 25 or so years of fairly regular cruising on several lines we have ever even heard of an embarkation port change — certainly not on short notice. I want FULL info on this to consider in choosing future cruises.

As someone who deals with almost all cruise lines, I have found Regent to be very trustworthy. You don't have to accept my experience, but I have booked over 5,000 nights on board (for myself and others) and have learned I can count on them. I can't say the same for every line nor do I expect any line to fully disclose their reason for every change in plans. It simply doesn't happen in this industry. Regent tends to come to an equitable conclusion to issues even if it takes them longer than some people would like. On top of that, they deliver a fairly consistent product that is at the top of the pile in their market. If you are going to go on cruises, it is important to set your expectations in accordance with the reality of the market. There will always be uncertainty and change...it is the nature of the industry. But, as I always say, vote with your wallet and the cream will rise to the top.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Pcardad, we have a 22 year history with Regent, and just returned last week from the Splendor. Good experiences always. But things can change, and all I want is full direct info.

There will always be challenges. I'm glad things got worked out. I'm looking forward to our cruise on Wednesday! 

11 minutes ago, CascadeLakeGirl said:

How dressed up do people get on Regents?  Alaska seems casual and I hate to over pack. 

From Regent's website...

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CascadeLakeGirl said:

How dressed up do people get on Regents?  Alaska seems casual and I hate to over pack. 

Alaska cruises are typically a bit more casual.

you would be fine with slacks and and a collared shirt (men) or a casual dress or slacks/blouse (women)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

From Regent's website...

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

Thank you, I did read that but was curious about real experiences. My TA told me to be prepared for gowns and tuxedos. Seemed a bit much for Alaska. 

1 hour ago, CascadeLakeGirl said:

Thank you, I did read that but was curious about real experiences. My TA told me to be prepared for gowns and tuxedos. Seemed a bit much for Alaska. 

Your TA doesn't seem to keep us with the changes on cruise lines.

We just returned last week from a cruise on the RSSC Splendor of England, France, and Belgium. I took (for men) slacks, collared polo shirts, a sports coat, and one pair of leather top shoes.  My wife took the female equivalent. We never felt out of place and our attire was never questioned by staff. In fact, we really fit right in. I saw no tux or ball gown among the guests. As Regent gives included valet laundry service, we were able to carry on (or wear on) all we needed for an eight night cruise and a two night pre cruise in London. Anybody who expects tuxes and ball gowns on Regent hasn’t cruised it lately — like in the last 40 years.

4 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We just returned last week from a cruise on the RSSC Splendor of England, France, and Belgium. I took (for men) slacks, collared polo shirts, a sports coat, and one pair of leather top shoes.  My wife took the female equivalent. We never felt out of place and our attire was never questioned by staff. In fact, we really fit right in. I saw no tux or ball gown among the guests. As Regent gives included valet laundry service, we were able to carry on (or wear on) all we needed for an eight night cruise and a two night pre cruise in London. Anybody who expects tuxes and ball gowns on Regent hasn’t cruised it lately — like in the last 40 years.

Love that. Thank you so much!  

Last year we did a 19 day from Vancouver to Tokyo on RSSC Explorer and as previously noted for 16 and above we did have two formal optional evenings. Early. Next year on Voyager for the 15 day cruise we are downsizing our “wardrobe “. 

• Like 1

Yes, because others have repeatedly posted that formal optional nights are just that,— OPTIONAL. And these reports say that very few guests dress formally for these. Most continue to comply only with the smart casual code applicable to other nights past 6:00 PM.

• Like 1

Embarking Tuesday on our 12th Regent cruise, this one to Norway and Uk mostly. 
19 nights so 2 formal optional evenings. 
I have long sleeve button down shirts for most nights with nice slacks. One sport coat that I usually wear to the specialty restaurants. A couple of ties to add for the formal optional nights. My wife will wear slacks and nice tops most nights with some pretty jackets for specialty restaurants and formal optional nights. 
Years ago I was wearing tuxes, but not for a least a decade. I would probably bring the same for Alaska. 

• Like 1