Cognac cut-back

Hlitner

We are currently on the beautiful Encore, in Croatia.  When I asked for a  glass of cognac, all they have is Hardy’s VS.  A sad commentary that a luxury line only has budget cognac.  We have been informed this was a Seattle decision.  

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not so luxury after all, sad to say. And Seattle calls all the shots. I wonder what’s available now on Silversea and Regent. I’ll find out in Oct when we cruise on Silver Dawn. Not long now!

Happy and healthy sailing!

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We are currently on the beautiful Encore, in Croatia.  When I asked for a  glass of cognac, all they have is Hardy’s VS.  A sad commentary that a luxury line only has budget cognac.  We have been informed this was a Seattle decision.  

Hank

Shocking

• Like 1

This is line with other cutbacks.  My husband is a single malt scotch drinker.  They used to have a number of single malts to choose from, including some of the peaty ones he likes.  Now it seems only base level Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich.

On my recent Sojourn cruise, there was no Bulliet or Basil Hayden bournbon on the included bourbons.  I was told it was temporary but now who knows.  I suffered with woodford reserve! 🤣.  I have a quest cruise in the near future and will see if those bourbons are available.

Nancy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think this is what happens when a company is struggling financially.  I did notice also that even the pours of complimentary wine were less (in volume) than last year.  In other words, one pour was actually half a glass.  Less wastage I am sure.  This was mostly in The Restaurant.  The pours from the Pool Bar were huge--maybe too large.  They were understaffed and probably did not want guests coming back for more.  Did anyone else notice this--the difference in pours in the MDR and Pool Bar.  

I just asked Mr. SLSD and he does not recall seeing Basil Hayden either.  

Edited by SLSD

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Exactly same on Ovation in July. Told now unable to order Remy or Courvoisier for standard bars/ suites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SLSD said:

just asked Mr. SLSD and he does not recall seeing Basil Hayden either.  

I believe I recall asking for Bulliet and Basil Hayden more than once in the presence of Mr. SLSD! 😄

On the subject of wine pours, the pours in the restaurant were less than what I’d call a full glass and the same for the colonnade.  However, I’d just tell the server I wanted more and that’s what I received.  As the cruise progressed, I typically didn’t have to ask for a more ample pour.  I can’t  comment with authority on the pool bar pour as I spent minimal time there.  I believe I had one glass of wine and it was a decent pour. 

Edited by nancygp

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nancygp said:

I believe I recall asking for Bulliet and Basil Hayden more than once in the presence of Mr. SLSD! 😄

On the subject of wine pours, the pours in the restaurant were less than what I’d call a full glass and the same for the colonnade.  However, I’d just tell the server I wanted more and that’s what I received.  As the cruise progressed, I typically didn’t have to ask for a more ample pour.  I can’t  comment with authority on the pool bar pour as I spent minimal time there.  I believe I had one glass of wine and it was a decent pour. 

We all know that we can  have all the wine we desire.  I just thought the pour was ridiculously small in the MDR. I never thought of asking for more.   We were mostly at the Pool Bar some late afternoons/early evenings ahead of dining at Earth and Ocean.   Of course I could benefit from drinking less wine.  

Edited by SLSD

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, docmark said:

On our recent 28 cruise on Sojourn in July, we asked for MCALLAN first day, we were told they are out of it and expect supply soon....it never came!!

Got the exact same response on the missing bourbons during my recent 14 day sojourn cruise,  I was hoping for a restock in Reykjavik but that didn’t happen.  Based on another posters comment, who continued on with Dover as the next embark/debark port, they weren’t restocked!  Time will tell.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We all know that we can  have all the wine we desire.  I just thought the pour was ridiculously small in the MDR. I never thought of asking for more.   We were mostly at the Pool Bar some late afternoons/early evenings ahead of dining at Earth and Ocean.   Of course I could benefit from drinking less wine.  

Absolutely on ordering all the wine we desire and agree on the small/half glass pours.  I had the same experience with the small pours on another lux line.  I was sharing my experiences. I too could benefit from drinking less wine 😀

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Got the exact same response on the missing bourbons during my recent 14 day sojourn cruise,  I was hoping for a restock in Reykjavik but that didn’t happen.  Based on another posters comment, who continued on with Dover as the next embark/debark port, they weren’t restocked!  Time will tell.

Nancy

I remember you getting that same response!  Basil Hayden is the only bourbon I really like by the way.  

• Like 1

That is pretty outrageous not to have at least one VSOP available.  I would be talking to both the bar and F&B manager to make your unhappiness known.  I have a SB cruise on hold, but this new cutback may be the final straw…

Maybe they are hoping to compete with Azamara now?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, markham said:

Not so luxury after all, sad to say. And Seattle calls all the shots. I wonder what’s available now on Silversea and Regent. I’ll find out in Oct when we cruise on Silver Dawn. Not long now!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Last time I sailed on Silversea, it was Remy VSOP and Hennessy VS which was worse than Seabourn…but no longer.