Torstein fuming?

Clay Clayton

Norway just delayed the environmental requirements that (as I understand it) drove the changes that resulted in Vela. So I wonder if like the ferry service Owner mentioned in this article he is mad. 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2024/08/28/norway-allows-cruise-ships-in-world-heritage-fjords-until-2032/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Norway just delayed the environmental requirements that (as I understand it) drove the changes that resulted in Vela. So I wonder if like the ferry service Owner mentioned in this article he is mad. 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2024/08/28/norway-allows-cruise-ships-in-world-heritage-fjords-until-2032/

Whats a few billion?!?

23 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don't know that he knows from fuming.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Everytime I read about switching to hydrogen as a fuel source, I think:

hindenburg-1.jpg

There's a lot of research activity these days in hydrogen fuel cell technology. It ties in very well with the electrification of everything theme

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

There's a lot of research activity these days in hydrogen fuel cell technology. It ties in very well with the electrification of everything theme

Research does not equal reliable product.

My own opinion is that Torston will not be angry or even surprised by the announcement. It seems common for environmental “deadlines” like this one in Norway, to be aspirational rather than absolute.

He may even be amongst those who welcome the decision as it is quite possible that the Vela will not actually be capable of using hydrogen proportion when she goes into service. She and her future sisterships have certainly been designed with the idea of limited hydrogen proportion in mind, but that does not necessarily mean that the technology is considered sufficiently advanced for it to be put to use right away.

I’m pleased that Viking are investing in this technology, not only because it is a requirement that will be imposed upon them if they want to visit environmentally sensitive areas from some point in the future, but (much more importantly) because it is the right thing to do for the planet. I have high hopes that the company’s CEO might feel the same! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Research does not equal reliable product.

There is a vast difference between the Hindenburg (gaseous hydrogen) and a cruise ship using liquified hydrogen and inert atmospheres.  Both technologies have crossovers to LNG technology, and the major difference is in the metallurgy for the tanks and piping since the cryogenics are at a lower temperature than LNG.

• Like 2

As usual the Chief is spot on.  Hydrogen has a good potential future.  After all the ship sails on vast amounts of hydrogen.  Technology will solve the hydrogen collection issues as well as the use efficiencies which will probably require a new type of engine.  I am a hopeful fan of hydrogen for all types of propulsion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

As usual the Chief is spot on.  Hydrogen has a good potential future.  After all the ship sails on vast amounts of hydrogen.  Technology will solve the hydrogen collection issues as well as the use efficiencies which will probably require a new type of engine.  I am a hopeful fan of hydrogen for all types of propulsion.

The most likely use for hydrogen is in fuel cells, rather than engines.  The biggest drawback to hydrogen is how to produce it in vast quantities in a green process.  Today, most hydrogen is made from steam reforming of methane, which produces greenhouse gases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2