Early departure announced for SOTS this Sunday

Posted (edited)

We just received notice today that our 9/1 sailing on SOTS out of Bayonne, NJ will now depart at 3 PM instead of 4 PM to accommodate port traffic. The last two boarding groups must now arrive a half hour earlier than scheduled. I don’t think I care, because we board much earlier but I found this strange. Maybe it happens all the time? First for me. 

Edited by Cdude

That’s what it sounds like, but who is more important than SOTS with all its passengers, crew, and turnaround responsibilities? How much is RCL getting paid for the accommodation? Will it be a successful turn with so much that has to happen on short order? 

Oh no, now my mind is turning. I better go back to working on my packing list and leave this alone, LOL!

I am also in this sailing and when we got the alert about the change I did some searching.  It looks like SOTS also had a change in July 2024 and it was to accommodate a large container ship that was arriving. The shipping channel appears not to be large enough to accommodate both an oasis class ship and a wide container ship. Given when happened in Baltimore*, I’m happy they make sure it’s safe and that we are leaving early rather than late. 

(*I know Baltimore was caused by a malfunction and that’s not the case here - but happy nonetheless.)

• Like 1

Same has happened going back to Bayonne, we arrived later than normal to accommodate another ship arriving. It was 1 hour late, people started getting off around 8 or so vs 7.

I’m on this sailing with you and was also surprised to get the message. It’s our first time sailing from Cape Liberty but I also understand that it’s a busy harbour.  At least Jason Liberty isn’t charging us more for the longer cruise. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m on this sailing with you and was also surprised to get the message. It’s our first time sailing from Cape Liberty but I also understand that it’s a busy harbour.  At least Jason Liberty isn’t charging us more for the longer cruise. 😜

They should give you an extra point 😂

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

More like Royal will try to charge us for the extra hour! I hope the turn goes smoothly for us. I’m sure it will.

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Plus an extra point for solo or suite.  🙂

I’d accept this. 

2 hours ago, Cdude said:

More like Royal will try to charge us for the extra hour! I hope the turn goes smoothly for us. I’m sure it will.

I’d like to think it should.  We have a 10:30 boarding so I feel more comfortable than a later one, but in all honesty it used to be show up whenever. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Check your seapass account when you board.

That Jason Liberty. First stop will be a guest services to complain about boom boxes and pulling tips.😜

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’d accept this. 

I’d like to think it should.  We have a 10:30 boarding so I feel more comfortable than a later one, but in all honesty it used to be show up whenever. 

That Jason Liberty. First stop will be a guest services to complain about boom boxes and pulling tips.😜

What is the itinerary? Let us know how you like sailing out of Bayonne. I have yet to try it.