What would you do?

We were on the Noordam for a land/cruise tour August 8-18.  One of the excursions we had booked in Denali (Arctic Air Adventure on August 10th) was cancelled by the tour operator an hour before the excursion because they didn't have enough people.  The excursion was booked through HAL.  As soon as we arrived home on the 19th I sent an email to guest relations inquiring about my refund.  Since that date I have followed up twice, most recently last Thursday.  The one and only response I have received was an email with a case number.  All the pertinent information, including the voicemail from the tour operator cancelling the excursion, was forwarded to guest relations.  This tour cost $1,140 for myself and my husband and I sure would like to get my money back.  We had even booked another excursion immediately upon receiving the notification that the Arctic Air Adventure was cancelled (Denali flightseeing for $900).  All suggestions are welcome.

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm really surprised you didn't get an automatic refund since it was a HAL tour.  The refund should have been in the form of OBC.  You didn't check with Shore Excursions before you disembarked?

I did ask and they said it would be settled after the cruise.  There was no OBC reflected in my account.  I'm wondering if the tour operator didn't bother to inform HAL that they cancelled.

Posted (edited)

We had a partial refund of an excursion applied to our statement in 24 hours. I am certain HAL knows because their system would not let you rebook another excursion if it was near the same time. 

I would call the shore excursion department and ask for a supervisor. I know u will get it back. It is frustrating for sure. 

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dancing Shoes said:

We had a partial refund of an excursion applied to our statement in 24 hours. I am certain HAL knows because their system would not let you rebook another excursion if it was near the same time. 

I would call the shore excursion department and ask for a supervisor. I know u will get it back. 

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the new excursion was booked through the excursions desk at the Chalet in Denali.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, slavetoabunny said:

One of the excursions we had booked in Denali (Arctic Air Adventure on August 10th) was cancelled by the tour operator an hour before the excursion because they didn't have enough people.

voicemail on your phone?  Do they usually have the client's cell number?  

Just asking, it seems strange.

Edited by VMax1700
brain warp.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Who notified you of the cancellation?  Was it a call to the stateroom?  On Navigator?  Or had you arrived to the meeting place already?

The tour operator called me on my cell phone.  We were sitting in the Chalet at our meeting place when I received the call.

1 minute ago, slavetoabunny said:

The tour operator called me on my cell phone.  We were sitting in the Chalet at our meeting place when I received the call.

Is it usual for the tour operator to have clients cell phone numbers for tours booked through HAL?

(for clarity - never been to Alaska, so don't know how it works.  Just seem unusual for the tour operator to have contact details for indivuals).

Just now, VMax1700 said:

Is it usual for the tour operator to have clients cell phone numbers for tours booked through HAL?

(for clarity - never been to Alaska, so don't know how it works.  Just seem unusual for the tour operator to have contact details for indivuals).

We had to check in with them prior to the tour to give the our weights for the flight.  They took my cell number at that time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, slavetoabunny said:

We had to check in with them prior to the tour to give the our weights for the flight.  They took my cell number at that time.

Ah ok, now I have it!

21 days after the cancellation is slow to respond about an expensive tour.  Disappointing to say the least.  

Having a case number is reassuring, but having the refund would be better.  I know it is no help to you, but considering that the refund was not processed onboard, it may take a little longer to feed back to your booking and then the attached credit card.

I would be calling them Tuesday morning and requesting to speak with a supervisor.

• Like 2

We had a somewhat similar experience on our AK land cruise when the excursion was canceled  (not by us). We kept checking for the refund and eventually learned the tour operator had refunded it back to HAL who was to then refund us. After a few follow up calls and a copy of the cancelation notice, I presume HAL was able to confirm they received the refund and we received ours about a week later. The entire process took over a month.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

We had a somewhat similar experience on our AK land cruise when the excursion was canceled  (not by us). We kept checking for the refund and eventually learned the tour operator had refunded it back to HAL who was to then refund us. After a few follow up calls and a copy of the cancelation notice, I presume HAL was able to confirm they received the refund and we received ours about a week later. The entire process took over a month.

Well, it at least sounds like there is hope!

• Like 2

On 8/31/2024 at 6:09 PM, Cruising-along said:

I'm really surprised you didn't get an automatic refund since it was a HAL tour.  The refund should have been in the form of OBC.  You didn't check with Shore Excursions before you disembarked?

If the excursion was charged to her credit card, I would think that the refund would be credited to the card.

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

If the excursion was charged to her credit card, I would think that the refund would be credited to the card.

Here's what I found on the HAL website.  The last sentence answers the question, it will be credited to her credit card -- eventually. 😉  

Cancellations for pre-paid tours are allowed up to 3 days prior to cruise embarkation and will be refunded to the credit card used for the purchase. If within 3 days of embarkation, all changes/cancellations must be done onboard the ship and refunds will be applied to your onboard account. If the credit is not fully utilized during the cruise, the balance will be paid to that passenger by the ship's Purser at the end of the voyage. If cancellation occurs onboard after the cancellation deadline for specific shore excursions, a 100% cancellation fee will apply. The ship's shore excursions office will be able to advise you of the cancellation deadline applicable to each tour. Optional shore excursions during the land portion of a Land & Sea Journey are non-refundable within 3 days of your Land & Sea Journey departure date. Group shore excursions cancelled within three days prior to embarkation (sail) date are nonrefundable. Custom tours may have different cancellation deadlines which will be stated in the proposal. In the rare instance that tours are cancelled by Holland America Line or the tour operator, the full amount will be refunded within four to six weeks after the voyage ends.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

In the rare instance that tours are cancelled by Holland America Line or the tour operator, the full amount will be refunded within four to six weeks after the voyage ends.

Doesn't warm the cockles of my heart.

Let the buyer beware!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I know when we miss a port during the cruise the shore excursion refund is pretty immediate in the form of OBC.  I thought this would be handled the same way.  Puzzling! 

Last month I had a last day excursion canceled and was able to cash out my onboard account that evening with all credits accounted for.  The experience seems to vary by shore excursions manager.  I had Debbie as shore ex manager and she runs an efficient operation.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Last month I had a last day excursion canceled and was able to cash out my onboard account that evening with all credits accounted for.  The experience seems to vary by shore excursions manager.  I had Debbie as shore ex manager and she runs an efficient operation.  

I think one of the differences is that this was on the land portion of the tour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slavetoabunny said:

I think one of the differences is that this was on the land portion of the tour.

That's where mine that took over a month to receive occurred - land portion (1st night of the land portion, at that).

4 hours ago, slavetoabunny said:

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

That's where mine that took over a month to receive occurred - land portion (1st night of the land portion, at that).

That must be the explanation, although such a long time doesn't seem right. Any time HAL has cancelled a tour during a cruise, the refund has been fast. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder