Cruise Port Deviation

cmillard

We are taking a 21 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver. As we live in Victoria, we have asked the cruise line if we can disembark there. They have given us permission, but said we would be responsible for any fees. Does anyone know if there are any fees incurred for disembarking a day early at a different port? I don’t see why there would be as we had to pay port fees for the cruise? Has anyone disembarked at a different port, and if so, were there any fees? Sorry, nobody seems to know the answer. (Have tried Holland America, Canadian Customs and the Port Authority, so reaching out here. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you,

Carol

I see no PVSA violation here. However, if Canadian immigration assesses HAL a fee to process you (debarking versus a port stop are different formalities) they can pass the cost on to you.

• Like 2

I suspect that's a CYA kind of statement.  I disembarked, a day early, in Victoria (about ten years ago) and had no fees charged.  Things may have changed since then but I can't see there being a charge assessed.

Edited by Alberta Quilter
  • Like 3

In the past I have written a letter to HAL officially requesting a cruise deviation, and my TA sends it in for me. I get an official response (always yes so far) in a week or so. It's also needed to overlands during the middle of a cruise, as the visas HAL gets might only be good for a day visit, for example. You might need immigration officials to process you, for example.

Go back to HAL (hope you have a good travel agent or PCC to handle it, as it makes life much easier) with an official written request. I wouldn't rely on social media for something like this, but you will get lots of opinions.

23 hours ago, cmillard said:

We are taking a 21 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver. As we live in Victoria, we have asked the cruise line if we can disembark there. They have given us permission, but said we would be responsible for any fees. Does anyone know if there are any fees incurred for disembarking a day early at a different port? I don’t see why there would be as we had to pay port fees for the cruise? Has anyone disembarked at a different port, and if so, were there any fees? Sorry, nobody seems to knodaw the answer. (Have tried Holland America, Canadian Customs and the Port Authority, so reaching out here. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you,

Carol

My apologies, but I have a similar deviation request involving a Cunard cruise from San Francisco to Sydney.  We want to disembark  in Auckland to board HAL's 50-day Noordam.  Does anyone on this site have any info as to Cunard's policy in this regard?  I have also posted on the Cunard board.