No more Simply More

Jancruz

2 hours ago, Thought2go said:

This wording is new and just arrived from my TA on an email about upcoming luxury cruises.

Travel advisors may charge an additional planning fee depending on the complexity of the trip.

Are we going to see reduced perks from our TA’s along with them charging for their costs?? I’m not seeing paid gratuities on any of their offerings as I did before. I’m seeing Nothing more than what the Cruise lines are offering directly. Are the cruise lines squeezing TAs too?? Are these “planning fees” to make up the difference?

Yes

Jancruz1

• Thanks 2

I just booked our 1st Oceania for Jan 2026.  Since final payment is due 181 days prior to sailing, I will reevaluate this cruise alongside other luxury lines offering similar itineraries.  I have no problem losing the $300 deposit and rebook with another line if they play games.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, as3369 said:

I just booked our 1st Oceania for Jan 2026.  Since final payment is due 181 days prior to sailing, I will reevaluate this cruise alongside other luxury lines offering similar itineraries.  I have no problem losing the $300 deposit and rebook with another line if they play games.

Count us as cruisers who have cruised on several real luxury lines (Crystal, Explora Journeys, Seabourn, Silversea).  A few months ago we finally took our first O cruise on the beautiful Vista, after being "shamed" into giving O a try by Flatbush Flyer who is a well known CC poster who has long championed O.   The Vista is a terrific ship and, for the most part, both DW and I were impressed with the O product.  That being said, O is not a luxury line and should not be confused as such.  Consider that the true luxury lines are essentially all-inclusive, have no coerced tipping, generally include unlimited adult beverages, and have a passenger space ratio in excess of O.  In fact, all the luxury lines that we have cruised are all suites!  

We do think that the new Vista, comes very close to being comparable to the luxury line ships.  But the older "R" ships that are operated by O, are not even close to a true luxury ship.  Those R ships have relatively small cabins (not suites) with cabin bathrooms that are what one would expect on a budget line...not a luxury line.  

We agree with Flatbush Flyer that O should be classed as a Premium Line, along with a a few other lines (Azamara and Viking).  We do think that O plays too many "games" with their booking options (this is not a norm with luxury lines).  Our first O cruise was taken under the new Simply More program, and we thought the program a bit too complex and silly.  We were OK with SM, because both DW and I enjoy adult beverages and liked the included Internet package.  

O could turn the new Vista (and upcoming Allura) into luxury ships, but they would first need to make that commitment and stop with the silly booking games.   Consider that when we book with Seabourn (just returned from 3 weeks on their Encore) we simply pay the fare which includes tips, Internet, unlimited beverages, bottles of booze put in our suite, etc.  On Seabourn there are no extra fees to use any dining venue (some other luxury lines have a few add-on dining options).  

As this point in time, I have no problem recommending the Vista or Allura to my friends.  But I will not recommend an "R" ship to anyone looking for anything close to a luxury line.  And I will add that the main Theater on the Vista, is appalling in its design!  Strange that the designers could design such a gorgeous vessel, provide very nice cabins and cabin bathrooms, and than fall flat on their face with the design of a showroom that has the worst sight lines at sea!  What on earth were they thinking?

Hank

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Count us as cruisers who have cruised on several real luxury lines (Crystal, Explora Journeys, Seabourn, Silversea).  A few months ago we finally took our first O cruise on the beautiful Vista, after being "shamed" into giving O a try by Flatbush Flyer who is a well known CC poster who has long championed O.   The Vista is a terrific ship and, for the most part, both DW and I were impressed with the O product.  That being said, O is not a luxury line and should not be confused as such.  Consider that the true luxury lines are essentially all-inclusive, have no coerced tipping, generally include unlimited adult beverages, and have a passenger space ratio in excess of O.  In fact, all the luxury lines that we have cruised are all suites!  

We do think that the new Vista, comes very close to being comparable to the luxury line ships.  But the older "R" ships that are operated by O, are not even close to a true luxury ship.  Those R ships have relatively small cabins (not suites) with cabin bathrooms that are what one would expect on a budget line...not a luxury line.  

We agree with Flatbush Flyer that O should be classed as a Premium Line, along with a a few other lines (Azamara and Viking).  We do think that O plays too many "games" with their booking options (this is not a norm with luxury lines).  Our first O cruise was taken under the new Simply More program, and we thought the program a bit too complex and silly.  We were OK with SM, because both DW and I enjoy adult beverages and liked the included Internet package.  

O could turn the new Vista (and upcoming Allura) into luxury ships, but they would first need to make that commitment and stop with the silly booking games.   Consider that when we book with Seabourn (just returned from 3 weeks on their Encore) we simply pay the fare which includes tips, Internet, unlimited beverages, bottles of booze put in our suite, etc.  On Seabourn there are no extra fees to use any dining venue (some other luxury lines have a few add-on dining options).  

As this point in time, I have no problem recommending the Vista or Allura to my friends.  But I will not recommend an "R" ship to anyone looking for anything close to a luxury line.  And I will add that the main Theater on the Vista, is appalling in its design!  Strange that the designers could design such a gorgeous vessel, provide very nice cabins and cabin bathrooms, and than fall flat on their face with the design of a showroom that has the worst sight lines at sea!  What on earth were they thinking?

Hank

Thanks for your input!  We have sailed on Regent Splendor (and sailing her again in April) and Explora Journeys earlier this year.  These are the only luxury line experiences we've had.  Many of our fellow passengers on Regent sailing last year urged us to try Seabourn but so far, haven't found the itinerary that works for us.  I understand that Oceania is not considered luxury but for the price we are paying (14k pp) for the Marina sailing in a Penthouse Suite, I'm sure that I can consider luxury lines for a similar (even if a little more) cost.

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As this point in time, I have no problem recommending the Vista or Allura to my friends.  But I will not recommend an "R" ship to anyone looking for anything close to a luxury line.  And I will add that the main Theater on the Vista, is appalling in its design!  Strange that the designers could design such a gorgeous vessel, provide very nice cabins and cabin bathrooms, and than fall flat on their face with the design of a showroom that has the worst sight lines at sea!  What on earth were they thinking

Well said. I will add that unfortunately I need to add the Vista to my "no" list along with the R ships because of the horrible lack of soundproofing between cabin walls. Indeed, those responsible for the poorly designed soundproofing, horrible theatre seating and sight line design, lack of aft elevators/stairs access to deck 5 and far too small a gym are guilty of architectural  malpractice, IMHO. Hopefully at least the poor soundproofing will be fixed on the Allura. We recently disembarked from a 25 night cruise on the refurbished Marina. We especially loved the better theatre, decent sized gym and many assets the Vista lacks. We were in a beautiful totally redone PH. I will say it is a shame they did not do major refurbishing of non PH cabins during this drydock, but glad they added Aquamor. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, edgee said:

Well said. I will add that unfortunately I need to add the Vista to my "no" list along with the R ships because of the horrible lack of soundproofing between cabin walls. Indeed, those responsible for the poorly designed soundproofing, horrible theatre seating and sight line design, lack of aft elevators/stairs access to deck 5 and far too small a gym are guilty of architectural  malpractice, IMHO. Hopefully at least the poor soundproofing will be fixed on the Allura. We recently disembarked from a 25 night cruise on the refurbished Marina. We especially loved the better theatre, decent sized gym and many assets the Vista lacks. We were in a beautiful totally redone PH. I will say it is a shame they did not do major refurbishing of non PH cabins during this drydock, but glad they added Aquamor. 

That is just unacceptable for a new cruise ship... I have read several posts and watched YouTube videos where passengers describe the soundproofing issues.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Yes

Jancruz1

Thanks Jan

It really annoys me when people claim travel agents are getting so much commission and they are just order takers and so they should give back money to us clients.   My BF is a TA. She had clients last year on Insignia, RT, NYC, to Bermuda.  After all the taxes, feea and non commissionable items (a nebulous amount) she made $64.00.  She showed me the invoice, without showing the names.  The clients asked what amenities to expect and she told them Amex OBC.  They then asked what she was giving them.  She told them, politely and professionally, she is giving her best service and advice.  She said she would be happy to transfer the booking if they wished.  They said, “No” and have since booked two more cruises with her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We are currently on our first SB cruise after sailing on Oceania, Silversea, Crystal and Azamara, among others.

I agree that SB service takes it to the next level compared to O. However, if you look at the newer O ships, they have significantly more dining options, and the food in my opinion is better than SB (not by much but still better).

So for people who don’t drink, everything else is now included on O, and they might consider O an all inclusive line. For people who do drink, they can just buy the drinks package, and the overall price will still be lower than SB most of the time. 

I completely agree about R ships. They are in a different category to me.

btw, SB regular cabins are larger than O, but their design is not the best. The showers are pretty small considering the cabins are almost 300 sqft. 

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Thanks Jan

It really annoys me when people claim travel agents are getting so much commission and they are just order takers and so they should give back money to us clients.   My BF is a TA. She had clients last year on Insignia, RT, NYC, to Bermuda.  After all the taxes, feea and non commissionable items (a nebulous amount) she made $64.00.  She showed me the invoice, without showing the names.  The clients asked what amenities to expect and she told them Amex OBC.  They then asked what she was giving them.  She told them, politely and professionally, she is giving her best service and advice.  She said she would be happy to transfer the booking if they wished.  They said, “No” and have since booked two more cruises with her.

We have used the same TA for over 15 years to book our cruises. Most of my family and friends also use her from my referrals. Not once have I ever asked for any kickbacks or extras not provided by the cruise lines. I have some friends who tout the big box TA that gives them shopping cards at their big box retail stores. I politely tell them that my TA is available 24/7 by cell phone and has bailed me out of bad situations many times while watching my back.  Her personalized professional services are worth much more to me than the extra shopping cards from the big box store. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We are currently on our first SB cruise after sailing on Oceania, Silversea, Crystal and Azamara, among others.

I agree that SB service takes it to the next level compared to O. However, if you look at the newer O ships, they have significantly more dining options, and the food in my opinion is better than SB (not by much but still better).

So for people who don’t drink, everything else is now included on O, and they might consider O an all inclusive line. For people who do drink, they can just buy the drinks package, and the overall price will still be lower than SB most of the time. 

I completely agree about R ships. They are in a different category to me.

btw, SB regular cabins are larger than O, but their design is not the best. The showers are pretty small considering the cabins are almost 300 sqft. 

We agree (and have previously posted) that the cuisine on the Vista was generally better than what we got on the SB Encore...especially in terms of variety.  That being said, I would often order a double scoop of caviar, while sitting at the Observation Bar on the Encore.  That caviar, if available on most ships, would generally cost $80 - $100.  And I had it most evenings on Seabourn for no extra cost.  One evening when I did not order caviar (while at the bar) the bartender brought me over an order (double scoop with all the fixens).  I immediately told him I did not order the caviar, and it must be for somebody else.  He just smiled and said, "I know you like it so I took the liberty."   And that sums up the difference between Seabourn and O.

DW and I agree about the SB showers.  The Vista had larger showers, but we should consider that SB not only has the shower but also a full-size tub and double sinks.  On the other hand, you could choose to cruise on Explora Journeys where the shower is even larger, and the bathroom floors are all heated!  

I have previously posted that my major complaint about the Vista is the awful design of the Showroom/Theater.  I am curious if they have made some design corrections to the new Allura.  DW and I were also very disappointed in Red Ginger.  In fact, we had 3 reservations in each of the reservation venues and cancelled our third reservation in Red Ginger.  Both DW and I agreed that the cuisine in the Grand Dining Room was superior to Red Ginger.  Ember also was a disappointment.  Toscana, on the other hand, was quite good and had a very extensive menu.

Do not get me wrong as we would cruise on the Vista or new Allura in a heartbeat!  That being said, having spent 32 days on the Vista and 21 days on the SB Encore, all within 3 months, our overall preference is still Seabourn.  It helps that the Seabourn ship carried half the number of passengers on the Vista...and this is the larger SB ship.  Next spring we will again be on one of the smaller SB ships (450 passengers) which is even more to our liking.  We would book an Allura cruise (for next summer) but the voyages of which we have an interest are currently fully booked.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, as3369 said:

Thanks for your input!  We have sailed on Regent Splendor (and sailing her again in April) and Explora Journeys earlier this year.  These are the only luxury line experiences we've had.  Many of our fellow passengers on Regent sailing last year urged us to try Seabourn but so far, haven't found the itinerary that works for us.  I understand that Oceania is not considered luxury but for the price we are paying (14k pp) for the Marina sailing in a Penthouse Suite, I'm sure that I can consider luxury lines for a similar (even if a little more) cost.

Do not get me wrong, as our first experience on O (32 days on the Vista) was excellent and met or exceeded nearly all our expectations.  We still cruise all kinds of lines ranging from larger mass market lines to some of the smallest luxury ships.  The key to going on cruises of all kinds is to set reasonable expectations based on the cost and caliber of the line.  We do not expect a Princess cruise to come close to O, Seabourn, Silversea, etc.  But we still enjoy the Princess experience (and the price).   Next year we have bookings on Silversea, Seabourn, HAL and Princess!  That could change if space becomes available on one particular Allura cruise.   While many are addicted to one or two cruise lines, we are addicted to variety :).

Hank

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Do not get me wrong, as our first experience on O (32 days on the Vista) was excellent and met or exceeded nearly all our expectations.  We still cruise all kinds of lines ranging from larger mass market lines to some of the smallest luxury ships.  The key to going on cruises of all kinds is to set reasonable expectations based on the cost and caliber of the line.  We do not expect a Princess cruise to come close to O, Seabourn, Silversea, etc.  But we still enjoy the Princess experience (and the price).   Next year we have bookings on Silversea, Seabourn, HAL and Princess!  That could change if space becomes available on one particular Allura cruise.   While many are addicted to one or two cruise lines, we are addicted to variety :).

Hank

I agree!  I like the variety of sailing different cruise lines and ships.  My only "must have" souvenirs are the resin cruise ship models.  Kind of disappointing if I go on a ship for a 2nd or 3rd time without a new model to add to my collection!

2 minutes ago, as3369 said:

I agree!  I like the variety of sailing different cruise lines and ships.  My only "must have" souvenirs are the resin cruise ship models.  Kind of disappointing if I go on a ship for a 2nd or 3rd time without a new model to add to my collection!

A terrific idea.  I took my first cruise in the mid 70s, and now, after far more than 100 cruises (and somewhere close to 6 years at sea) I cannot remember half the ships upon which we have cruised much less the details.  DW says we should have saved something from each cruise and your models sounds like a great idea.  

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

A terrific idea.  I took my first cruise in the mid 70s, and now, after far more than 100 cruises (and somewhere close to 6 years at sea) I cannot remember half the ships upon which we have cruised much less the details.  DW says we should have saved something from each cruise and your models sounds like a great idea.  

Hank

Absolute 1st thing I purchase when onboard..  I was disappointed a couple of years ago when we went on RCCL Adventure of the Seas and they didn't have any onboard.  I asked the Gift Shop Manager if they could ship me one if I paid, but they would not.  

I have 4 Swarovski Crystal Princess ships that I inherited from my husband's aunt when she passed away in 2020.  We traveled together on many cruises together.  

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We have used the same TA for over 15 years to book our cruises. Most of my family and friends also use her from my referrals. Not once have I ever asked for any kickbacks or extras not provided by the cruise lines. I have some friends who tout the big box TA that gives them shopping cards at their big box retail stores. I politely tell them that my TA is available 24/7 by cell phone and has bailed me out of bad situations many times while watching my back.  Her personalized professional services are worth much more to me than the extra shopping cards from the big box store. 

To each their own. I work with a larger agency which rebates me in the form of a check (no shop card BS) amounting to about 10% of my cruise cost and also covers gratuities on many cruises as well as some on board credit. I have a great agent I work with as well as a 7 days a week customer service department to help me if my TA is unavailable. I cannot see in effect paying 10 to 12 percent more for my cruise by using a different agency or booking direct.

• Like 1