LIVE from Harmony, GIRLS CRUISE!, Sept 8, 2024

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from GetToLivin! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

GetToLivin was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

It has been a long 8 months since my last sailing and I'm pleased to invite you along on my first-ever Girls Cruise! I'm lucky to have a great group of friends who plan trips together once or twice a year whether it's somewhere in the States or in this case, to the Caribbean. While this will be cruise #14 for me, it is the first for my friends Rachel & Holli and it is my full intention to make them cruise addicts 😉

Rachel, myself, and Holli on our trip to Vail last January.

image.thumb.jpeg.9cfbff55b71bb190e93b850515ef2253.jpeg

This trip could not have come at a better time: 2024 has been a bit of a tough year for each of us. We're in our late 30s/early 40s and in that place where careers are stressful, kids are growing, and we've each experienced either a relationship ending, the loss of a parent, or parent hospitalization. It is in these moments we realize how special our friendships are, to have people you can count on to vent or cry to, but also to experience life's joys with! I have a feeling this cruise will be personally meaningful to each of us in different ways, and the appreciation we each have for some reprieve is sure to leave a positive mark on each of us. 

With that said! This is an itinerary I've taken many times with port stops in Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel. We are all flying in the day before to Houston Hobby and I have reserved Galveston Express for shuttle service. 

image.png.20376db3899743daa1678ed66df0861f.png

SHUTTLE: Pricing was $195/RT for three (3) people and they are taking us from the airport to our hotel, and then from the cruise dock back to Houston Hobby. When compared with other shuttle services they seemed the most reasonable with the added flexibility of bringing us to the hotel v. cruise dock only.
image.png.a59ad02690216995fc7aca2d426a49db.png

HOTEL: Per usual I have us booked at the beautiful Hilton Galveston Island Resort. This hotel is right on the Gulf of Mexico coast and has all the amenities you could want, including walking distance from restaurants and a Walgreens. They also have a shuttle from the hotel to the cruise port, just let them know upon check-in and they'll get you on the shuttle list. Uber is always an option as well.

When I was here back in December the rooms were recently renovated and are very nice. For this trip I've booked us a room with a view of the gulf.

image.png.dff788d769cb987fca44bda907bd5a0d.png

CABIN: I was able to book a CLS for a second time at a great rate which, at the time, wasn't much more than the Grand Suite I originally booked. For my most recent NYE cruise last Dec, I also got this room for a cheaper price than the Owner's Suite I originally booked. It pays off to consistently check cruise prices before final payment either for savings or in my case, an upgrade for not too much more. Here is a photo of 1708 from my last cruise, this space will be fantastic and roomy for us! Can you tell I'm REALLY trying to get them hooked on cruising 😇

image.thumb.jpeg.c0d2423f35cd3639fd1fe8d2ad2bc11b.jpeg

The concierges for this cruise are Jackie Santos and Francisco Luna. They emailed around 10-days prior to the cruise (I know this question is asked sometimes). 

Thanks for following along! In the next post, I will address itinerary plans 🌴🏖️
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

This itinerary is familiar for me but Costa Maya and Roatan will be spent at first-time venues. The weather (so far) looks to be cloudy with a small chance for rain in Costa Maya, but Roatan and Cozumel are panning out to be nice days! I should know better than to check the weather in advance since things can change quickly, but here's hoping for clear, sunny days!

ITINERARY 

COSTA MAYA - PEZ QUADRO: I've been to Costa Maya a couple of times but have never done a true beach break day. I always choose where I go off of reviews first, then location. I love that this is only 10 minutes from the port but looks a little less "crammed-in" compared to some of the other beach clubs I researched. I booked the Pez Quadro Pack which includes all you can drink, open bar, 1 dish (plate) on the food menu, lounge chair, and WI-FI for $95/pp. Reviews say the food and drinks are good so we're splurging a bit. 

image.png.bfafea0a2f47c2f451de658aa4deae31.png

ROATAN - INFINITY BAY: Another first for a port I've been to before, very excited to check this place out. Booked the bronze package which includes one drink, lounge chairs, towels, pool, beach, and WI-FI for $48/pp. I'm leering of paying for the larger package because my experience has been that the house drinks tend to be weak. I'd rather just pay for one or two top-shelf drinks and know I'm getting a good product. Transportation can be arranged directly with them as well which is another bonus: it is $25/pp RT.

image.png.7b96d3218229036f76717ded0915cf6b.png

COZUMEL - NACHI COCOM: A personal favorite at one of my most visited ports. This place has a cap on how many people they let in each day (130/ppl) which is why I love going here. It doesn't feel crowded and is a beautiful spot to spend the day. This is a true All-Inclusive for $69/pp. I've always enjoyed their food and drinks so my expectations are set. We'll just take a taxi to and from as I've never had an issue with transportation in Cozumel. Here's a photo I took last time I was there, can't wait for this view!

image.thumb.png.e69c9e0ab01aaf4263b48725bc3ea61d.png

SHIP ENTERTAINMENT: As far as what I have booked on-board I have the Comedy Show booked on Night 1 (please don't seat us up front), The Fine Line on Night 2 (my ultimate favorite show EVER), and Adult Comedy on Night 6 (I may not care anymore, go ahead and seat us up front).

I chose night activities for sea days only because I have no idea how we'll be feeling after our days at port, sun and all the drinks tend to leave me 50/50 motivated by the end of the day. I will definitely be dragging them to Crazy Quest no matter what night that falls on though, they NEED that experience 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.b6cbb3c01f02053cea525367394524c6.jpeg

I don't have any specialty restaurants booked at this time, I think Coastal Kitchen will suffice but we may drop in on Sabor or even maybe some sushi for lunch, we'll see where the wind blows us.

Alright, time to get my work affairs in order and start PACKING! Alarm is set for this afternoon so I remember to check in at Southwest...it's getting real 🥳
Edited by GetToLivin
  • Like 12

Sounds much needed and a fun time...hope your friends end up loving cruising as much as you do!

Love Nachi, one of our faves as well.  We usually do Maya Chan in Costa Maya, so looking forward to see what you all think about Pez Quadro.  

• Like 1

You will LOVE Infinity Bay!!!  We loved it so much from a few cruises that we booked a week long stay a few years ago.  Can't wait to go back.  Get a Monkey Lala and the refried bean app is to die for.  This is our favorite Caribbean destination and the prettiest beach and water.  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, wolfganghowell said:

You will LOVE Infinity Bay!!!  We loved it so much from a few cruises that we booked a week long stay a few years ago.  Can't wait to go back.  Get a Monkey Lala and the refried bean app is to die for.  This is our favorite Caribbean destination and the prettiest beach and water.  Enjoy!

This has me so excited, thank you for the recommendations! Did you guys end up sitting by the pool or did the beach have plenty of loungers to choose from? 

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Sounds much needed and a fun time...hope your friends end up loving cruising as much as you do!

It's so ironic how you can book something months ago and not know just how much timing would end up being perfect for each person 😊 I will be sure to report back on the Pez experience. 

• Like 1

We usually get beach loungers but will also hang at the pool as well. There are beach vendors but there are security guards who keep them from going into the property. You might want to avoid the front row since they are relentless.  If the resort is pretty booked, they will have a special area for day passes.  Also be sure that your cash is pristine - they won't accept torn bills.  Apparently the banks reject them.  They also take credit cards.  Just thinking about it makes me want to go back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's officially our travel day! We were all up at 5 a.m. apparently too excited to sleep any longer. Nothing better than seeing this on the old cruise planner...

image.thumb.png.56012a9773b5c719ffeb3ec466448816.png

Holli is flying in from Denver, and Rachel and I are flying in from Omaha. We're all huge college football fans, and since we're all from Nebraska, we're donning our Huskers merch. Tonight is our rivalry game against Colorado, so you can bet we'll be enjoying a cocktail and cheering our team on!

image.png.fcb551836b736674dd6c91dd4839cd8f.png

Now, for the obligatory fur-baby pics.

Rachel and Marly:

image.thumb.png.8d5011b1a2b97293cbc1f78a833f5e6d.png

Holli and Lola (wearing her GBR jersey):

image.thumb.png.bafc8c5a6637b2a96f6050e7a74f9616.png

And of course, my baby Jack:

image.thumb.jpeg.5af6c84fb5358ba165e3f00ebd6c50e6.jpeg

"You wouldn't want to leave ME, right, mom?"

Flight is ON TIME and we are ready to board! But first...the breakfast of champions. A double tequila sunrise 🌅

image.thumb.jpeg.4239a10c88186c72401c3b609dfc97d0.jpeg

See you in Galveston!
  • Like 8

I hope you  have a  wonderful trip. We had a Crown Loft on an early Oasis cruise and it was fabulous. I will be curious as to your review of  Nachi as we were last  there before  Covid and it was not great but I did book it for an upcoming  Serenade cruise,  We did a private tour  when in Roatan as we wanted to go  to the  Stone Castle Cameo Factory store that sells beautiful  cameos as well as a beach and see the monkeys and sloths.     You may want to check  out the cameo store.

• Like 1

Omg.....Jack is the cutest dog I've ever seen! How do you get anything done with him around?! I'm glad you ladies make it a priority to get together. My friend group has a hard time making a plan and sticking to it. I sent them all a link to this thread. I hope you all have an amazing time together. Looking forward to cruising "with" you this week!

• Like 1

Flight was on time and pretty smooth, hey Houston!

20240907_145704.thumb.jpg.5f4eadb3e552656b15daaa37333a84a0.jpg

Reunited and it feels so good 🥰 Go Huskers!

Screenshot_20240907_154706_Snapchat.thumb.jpg.c8db9221ca723087f96b1325cc06860f.jpg

Galveston Express was on time and communicated via text on their arrival ETA and where to find the pick up area. Very nice Mercedes Sprinter van with 4 rows, leather interior, and plenty of room.

20240907_155728.thumb.jpg.34b91101200994b0323ec42b4c8ece8b.jpg

They are located right outside baggage claim. Easy and no hassle!

20240907_155738.thumb.jpg.f8a2dac0a8e459b50ec8342c9250720a.jpg

Next stop: Hilton Galveston Island followed by dinner at Landry's 😋

• Like 7

5 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

since we're all from Nebraska, we're donning our Huskers merch. Tonight is our rivalry game against Colorado, so you can bet we'll be enjoying a cocktail and cheering our team on!

Go Big Red! (from a Coloradoan for Nebraska)

• Like 1

Galveston Express made traveling a smooth process and we were at the hotel by 5pm. Juan was our driver and was very friendly and professional, highly recommend this shuttle service!

We checked in with ease and up to the 9th floor we went. Look at this view 😍 

20240907_170103.thumb.jpg.0b3befe1a8ed000f1e83feae3d159df1.jpg

20240907_165849.thumb.jpg.d142ab2098f82c3374e1466944dfa134.jpg

Next up was our first celebratory toast of the trip, martinis and wine for the win!

20240907_172449.thumb.jpg.7f70309bc426ed2089abb29787b8ed4f.jpg

Snapchat-2147049341.thumb.jpg.096db21a3346283ae6b296e4c453be49.jpg

After a quick freshen up it was straight to Landrys for more drinks and a nice dinner. We opted to sit at the bar so we could continue watching the Huskers game. We may have hooped and hollered a couple times but were otherwise well behaved 😬

20240907_193356.thumb.jpg.99d4aa090c99ab4dcbe4c30225181d78.jpg

20240907_193505.thumb.jpg.38afc19859201e0736e860f35e3271c6.jpg

Salmon and Shrimp were on the menu and we all left with happy bellies and our team up 28 to 3 🫡

20240907_201054.thumb.jpg.e79dd20a9b94582b4b77c1e7c3863993.jpg

20240907_201141.thumb.jpg.5f28a1ae56fd258cade7a89e8fde0622.jpg

We're back at the hotel and ready for a good night sleep tonight. Looks like our originally planned noon arrival will work out but we did get this message tonight. Hope everyone is okay that was affected by the emergency.

Screenshot_20240907_211720_Gmail.thumb.jpg.d5a2a1456dd59bdf738f27ddcc1ea1fc.jpg

Time to finish up the 4th quarter and then bed. GBR!

Next up: See you on board Harmony of the Seas!

• Like 5

Happy boarding day! I’m looking forward to following along. Girls trips are the best! I’ve come to appreciate them more and more as I’ve gotten older. Your plans look great. I second what an earlier poster said about infinity Bay. We stayed on Roatan earlier this year (different resort) and walked down that way a couple of times to snorkel. All you have to do is head toward the Kimpton and walk right in from shore. There are also boats that will take you out a little further, and I do I think the snorkeling is a little better out there. Worth considering if all of you like to snorkel.

• Like 1

Looking forward to your cruise.  A girls trip will be so much fun!  We have Harmony booked a year out at Christmas time.  Sounds like you had a smooth travels getting to Houston and to your hotel.  One question....the price you listed for Galveston Express is per person, or per car?  It it's per person then probably straight uber makes more sense for us (as we'll be a party of 4).  From your numbers, it looks like per person.

Too bad you're delayed a bit for boarding but looks like you are in a great area for your hotel so can  just enjoy there for longer.

Happy cruise day!  

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Looking forward to your cruise.  A girls trip will be so much fun!  We have Harmony booked a year out at Christmas time.  Sounds like you had a smooth travels getting to Houston and to your hotel.  One question....the price you listed for Galveston Express is per person, or per car?  It it's per person then probably straight uber makes more sense for us (as we'll be a party of 4).  From your numbers, it looks like per person.

Too bad you're delayed a bit for boarding but looks like you are in a great area for your hotel so can  just enjoy there for longer.

Happy cruise day!  

The price is per person. It is a shuttle bus.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fla33023 said:

Omg.....Jack is the cutest dog I've ever seen! How do you get anything done with him around?! I'm glad you ladies make it a priority to get together. My friend group has a hard time making a plan and sticking to it. I sent them all a link to this thread. I hope you all have an amazing time together. Looking forward to cruising "with" you this week!

Lucky for Jack I work for a corporation that allows us to WFH so he has a bed right by my desk 😂 He really is the sweetest (co-dependent lol) Havanese. This morning on my way down a gentleman had his baby yorkie with him and I was like, "Dangit, now I miss my baby again!" 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Happy boarding day! I’m looking forward to following along. Girls trips are the best! I’ve come to appreciate them more and more as I’ve gotten older. 

YES! We take 1 - 2 trips a year, if even for a long weekend. It's always such a sweet time ❤️

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

One question....the price you listed for Galveston Express is per person, or per car?  It it's per person then probably straight uber makes more sense for us (as we'll be a party of 4).  From your numbers, it looks like per person.

We paid $195/total/round trip for all 3 of us. When I looked at reserving an Uber it was around $180 from the airport to Galveston and that was just one-way.

You will love Harmony and at Christmas-time it will be decorated so pretty!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Southern Dan said:

I'll be sailing out of Galveston for the first time in January on Mariner and booked my hotel at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort so I'm happy to hear it is as nice as it looks.

Absolutely everything has been freshly renovated here so you will love it! Great location 😀

• Like 1