LeBistro closed for entire Encore sailing due to private event

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

dear commodore dave. your sarcasm is underwhelming. is it really that much of a problem if you cant dine at le bistro for this cruise.  if it really bothers you that much, why dont you see if guest services or  the concierge can get you comped into cagney's or modern's for your trouble? 

hopefully, if  you explain how much you love le bistro, always eat there at least once on every ncl cruise you take, and how disappointed you are, you might find a sympathetic ear.

i mean  that in a good way. by  the way, your example is wholly incorrect and based on an incorrect assumption.

again sir, unless you have pre booked, any specialty restaurant is not paid for nor included in any costs associated with your final payment.

it's an extra cost you may or may not wish to incur

Thank you for your suggestion which I will gladly try.

However, you basic premise is grossly incorrect in law. NCL promotes and advertises access to all its public venues and dining options, and is therefore obligated to provide access to them as that is what people were incented to pay for. I realize that I have to pay more for that access, but it must be made available under the terms that the cruise was sold to me. While you may not agree, this issue will likely become more prominent in future and result in legislation to prevent this type of misrespresentation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, commodoredave said:

However, you basic premise is grossly incorrect in law. NCL promotes and advertises access to all its public venues and dining options, and is therefore obligated to provide access to them as that is what people were incented to pay for. I realize that I have to pay more for that access, but it must be made available under the terms that the cruise was sold to me. While you may not agree, this issue will likely become more prominent in future and result in legislation to prevent this type of misrespresentation. 

Very interesting. You do realize - all sorts of businesses advertise all sorts of services and sometimes they do need to cancel those services from time to time. It happens. Even on cruise ships. And the previous commenter is correct in that your cruise fees paid do NOT pay for access to a specific specialty dining room. If you do pay extra for specialty dining - you can always go to another dining room if one is closed. So - they are still providing specialty dining service - just not necessarily access to every restaurant they advertised. For the OP who received this message, he now has the option of either keeping his specialty dining package or adjusting it/removing it if he is unhappy that le Bistro will no longer be available. 

Yes - if you paid for specialty dining - they NCL does have an obligation to offer specialty dining. But when you paid for specialty dining - it doesn't mean that NCL can't close ONE specialty dining room for one reason or another. There are alternate options for the customer to choose from instead. Services are still rendered as promised. 

• Like 1

Just now, JSar said:

Very interesting. You do realize - all sorts of businesses advertise all sorts of services and sometimes they do need to cancel those services from time to time. It happens. Even on cruise ships. And the previous commenter is correct in that your cruise fees paid do NOT pay for access to a specific specialty dining room. If you do pay extra for specialty dining - you can always go to another dining room if one is closed. So - they are still providing specialty dining service - just not necessarily access to every restaurant they advertised. For the OP who received this message, he now has the option of either keeping his specialty dining package or adjusting it/removing it if he is unhappy that le Bistro will no longer be available. 

Yes - if you paid for specialty dining - they NCL does have an obligation to offer specialty dining. But when you paid for specialty dining - it doesn't mean that NCL can't close ONE specialty dining room for one reason or another. There are alternate options for the customer to choose from instead. Services are still rendered as promised. 

Just as cruise lines once had no obligation to disclose extra fees and taxes were applicable in a clear and upfront manner, the refusal to disclose that certain facilities and services may not be available that were  highly promoted to incent bookings will also become a legal issue in time. You may not believe it, but if cruise lines continue in this fashion, just sit back and wait to see what happens.. 

1 minute ago, commodoredave said:

Just as cruise lines once had no obligation to disclose extra fees and taxes were applicable in a clear and upfront manner, the refusal to disclose that certain facilities and services may not be available that were  highly promoted to incent bookings will also become a legal issue in time. You may not believe it, but if cruise lines continue in this fashion, just sit back and wait to see what happens.. 

But they DID disclose the closure... that is why this thread was started... they notified cruisers on this particular ship/journey that le Bistro WILL be closed. 

Again - it is their obligation to ensure that if they sell Specialty Dining packages - that they offer Specialty Dining options... but they can still close a specific restaurant as needed. 

And once they notify the cruiser of the change - then the cruiser can decide if they want to keep/alter a specific plan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JSar said:

But they DID disclose the closure... that is why this thread was started... they notified cruisers on this particular ship/journey that le Bistro WILL be closed. 

Again - it is their obligation to ensure that if they sell Specialty Dining packages - that they offer Specialty Dining options... but they can still close a specific restaurant as needed. 

And once they notify the cruiser of the change - then the cruiser can decide if they want to keep/alter a specific plan. 

They disclosed belatedly and without regard to the impact on customers. This time it was just one speciality dining restaurant, but next time it can be anything they want. This possibility must be disclosed upfront in the booking process not to put customers at a disadvanage. If things don't change, they will only get worse and cruise lines will eventually be forced to be more upfront. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We have an Amex platinum card, which gets us one dinner at Le Bistro.  How would that work in this case? Would NCL honor that at another specialty restaurant, or do we just lose the perk? 

26 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Please show where the terms of the cruise contract apply to the subject under discussion.  

1 minute ago, rohim said:

We have an Amex platinum card, which gets us one dinner at Le Bistro.  How would that work in this case? Would NCL honor that at another specialty restaurant, or do we just lose the perk? 

I would hope that they would honor it at another restaurant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Please show where the terms of the cruise contract apply to the subject under discussion.  

It is the same legal premise used to force cruise lines to disclose upfront in the sales and booking process that extra fees applied. If a company highly promotes something as an incentive to book, they must disclose that it may not be available. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

It is the same legal premise used to force cruise lines to disclose upfront in the sales and booking process that extra fees applied. If a company highly promotes something as an incentive to book, they must disclose that it may not be available. 

IOW, you can't find where the terms of the cruise contract support  your position.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 3:39 PM, commodoredave said:

Even my small, neighbourhood pub would do something. 

I wouldn't be so sure. My small, local neighborhood pub was closed because there was a film shoot going on. Even though I wanted to dine there, I could not. I received no compensation for this, but I.....gasp!.....ate somewhere else.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, commodoredave said:

It should be described up front as part of the booking process. Cruise lines have been forced by law to now disclose all additional costs of a cruise upfront. I suspect in time that they will be forced to disclose up front that what people are paying for may not be actually available on the cruise. It’s just common sense and basic consumer protection.

Fact remains this is still not something you have paid for.

• Like 3

Did we ever find out the reason? NCL did share their disappointment in the communication. They must have had no choice. Was it some swingers group for nude dining? The French restaurant seems appropriate.

When is this cruise? I'm on the Encore right now. I'll ask the Le Bistro people what's up.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mistertomatoe said:

Did we ever find out the reason? NCL did share their disappointment in the communication. They must have had no choice. Was it some swingers group for nude dining? The French restaurant seems appropriate.

When is this cruise? I'm on the Encore right now. I'll ask the Le Bistro people what's up.

You typically cannot dine nude in a restaurant on any swinger (or nudist) cruise.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jds2001 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. My small, local neighborhood pub was closed because there was a film shoot going on. Even though I wanted to dine there, I could not. I received no compensation for this, but I.....gasp!.....ate somewhere else.

I once booked at a hotel for a week while visiting family, chose it because it had an outdoor pool for the kids. Guess what had no water in it that week?

Oh my @commodoredave, I actually feel ya. I'd be upset if my selected restaurant were closed during my sailing. At least you have plenty of advance notice, though certainly that does not make up for the disappointment of not being able to gorge oneself on snails, filet, and fish the French way. 

Are you flying in a day or two early? Then, thankfully Miami has a few wonderful French classics, though if I were you, I'd be tempted to wander myself over to Quebec City or Montreal. Closer yet, certainly Ottawa has a French restaurant. 

I did a quick search in Miami. Prices are fair, especially when one considers the ridiculous a la carte prices of Le Bistro. Here is a selection:

Thomas Keller's Bouchon in Coral Gables. 

Miami Beach's A la Folie Cafe in...well, it's in Miami Beach.

It's but a one star in Michelin's Rubber Guide, but Le Jardinier, in Miami may be just what you're looking for as you seek out the most delectable French cuisine. 

If none of those are what you want, then just simply go to Kavkaz Restaurant in North Miami Beach (it's Georgian yumminess, not French). 

Enjoy your cruise, our Canadian friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh my @commodoredave, I actually feel ya. I'd be upset if my selected restaurant were closed during my sailing. At least you have plenty of advance notice, though certainly that does not make up for the disappointment of not being able to gorge oneself on snails, filet, and fish the French way. 

Are you flying in a day or two early? Then, thankfully Miami has a few wonderful French classics, though if I were you, I'd be tempted to wander myself over to Quebec City or Montreal. Closer yet, certainly Ottawa has a French restaurant. 

I did a quick search in Miami. Prices are fair, especially when one considers the ridiculous a la carte prices of Le Bistro. Here is a selection:

Thomas Keller's Bouchon in Coral Gables. 

Miami Beach's A la Folie Cafe in...well, it's in Miami Beach.

It's but a one star in Michelin's Rubber Guide, but Le Jardinier, in Miami may be just what you're looking for as you seek out the most delectable French cuisine. 

If none of those are what you want, then just simply go to Kavkaz Restaurant in North Miami Beach (it's Georgian yumminess, not French). 

Enjoy your cruise, our Canadian friend. 

We are arriving 2 days early and will definitely try one or more of your recommendations. Thank you for your helpful suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

I am pleased to report that after a call with an NCL agent, my issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. 

Good for you. Glad it worked out.

Did they agree to send live snails to your cabin with a bunch of garlic and butter so you can throw it all in the shower, turn the hot water up all the way, and steam everything for instant escargot?

Sounds yummy.

• Haha 3

Just now, schmoopie17 said:

Good for you. Glad it worked out.

Did they agree to send live snails to your cabin with a bunch of garlic and butter so you can throw it all in the shower, turn the hot water up all the way, and steam everything for instant escargot?

Sounds yummy.

Damn! I wish I had thought of that before negotiating a resolution!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I once booked at a hotel for a week while visiting family, chose it because it had an outdoor pool for the kids. Guess what had no water in it that week?

We had a similar situation once.  I spoke to the hotel manager, expressed my disappointment, and we received a significant reduction on our hotel bill.  It still didn't offset the disappointment, but at least it was a good faith gesture, which we appreciated.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2024 at 12:35 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I just received this for an upcoming Encore booking.  We probably wouldn't have eaten at LeBistro anyway.  I'm posting it just for reference and discussion.  I'm curious what kind of private event this would be?  Maybe it's one of those Park West events that caused the Prima OL to be mostly closed for one of our forum members cruise recently?

"Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We are delighted you have chosen to sail with us on board the beautiful Norwegian Encore. On behalf of our crew, we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. Travel Partners are asked to share the below information with impacted guests.

We are committed to delivering exceptional vacation experiences from beginning to end, including the ability to pre-book your dining reservations before you board. However, due to a private event being held in Le Bistro for the duration of your voyage, reservations for this dining venue will unfortunately not be available. We share your disappointment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Did they announce this after your cancellation deadline?

53 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

We had a similar situation once.  I spoke to the hotel manager, expressed my disappointment, and we received a significant reduction on our hotel bill.  It still didn't offset the disappointment, but at least it was a good faith gesture, which we appreciated.

I asked and was denied.