Questions re: Princess post cruise hotels

BamaVol

We are disembarking in Vancouver April 15 2025 and want to stay two more nights in the city before returning home.  Princess lists several hotels in port cities and I understand you can book them through Princess.  I assume it becomes part of your final payment.

One of the hotels in Vancouver is the Westin Bayshore.  We like the location.  I asked my TA to get me a price through Princess.  Once upon a time, the Princess website showed rates for hotels.  That seems to have disappeared.  The TA came back and said no second night was available and the first night was waitlisted. She offered to book through another means, but the price (this now includes breakfast) was higher than rates I see via Kayak and I like to keep breakfast options open anyway.

Question 1:  is it normal to see hotels unavailable through Princess this far in advance when they can be booked via the hotel chain website?  Or is my TA misinterpreting Princess and perhaps the hotel simply isn’t available to book through them this far in advance? I do understand that Princess may not want to overcommit, but in this instance they would be losing at least my post-cruise business.

Question 2: does a post cruise hotel booked through the cruise line extend Princess insurance coverage as part of the trip, or does my insurance end when I disembark?

I stayed at that Westin last year. Great hotel. I booked it on my own on Bonvoy app. Princess was there as well.  We took a taxi to ship.  I have also stayed at all the Fairmont hotels there and would do so again.  

• Like 1

Ahoy all,

We have stayed in Princess recommended hotels a number of times.  You are  comfortable in knowing what you will get.  We however have always booked it ourselves and found other transportation to the ship or airport for considerably less than the Princess price. Happy cruising

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

We are disembarking in Vancouver April 15 2025 and want to stay two more nights in the city before returning home.  Princess lists several hotels in port cities and I understand you can book them through Princess.  I assume it becomes part of your final payment.

One of the hotels in Vancouver is the Westin Bayshore.  We like the location.  I asked my TA to get me a price through Princess.  Once upon a time, the Princess website showed rates for hotels.  That seems to have disappeared.  The TA came back and said no second night was available and the first night was waitlisted. She offered to book through another means, but the price (this now includes breakfast) was higher than rates I see via Kayak and I like to keep breakfast options open anyway.

Question 1:  is it normal to see hotels unavailable through Princess this far in advance when they can be booked via the hotel chain website?  Or is my TA misinterpreting Princess and perhaps the hotel simply isn’t available to book through them this far in advance? I do understand that Princess may not want to overcommit, but in this instance they would be losing at least my post-cruise business.

Question 2: does a post cruise hotel booked through the cruise line extend Princess insurance coverage as part of the trip, or does my insurance end when I disembark?

Booking a hotel through Princess can offer convenience, but it usually costs more for the same hotel. The Princess booking price include transfer from the ship to the hotel, transfer from the hotel to the airport, and all taxes and fees. Note that the Princess price is quoted per person - the direct hotel price is normally quoted per room.

This was the first time I had looked at Princess Cruise Ports & Hotels in a while, and I was surprised to see that they had removed the prices. The only way to get a price now is to contact your travel agent (if you booked through one) or Princess (if you booked direct)..

Question 1: It is not unusual for Princess not to have availability. They reserve a certain number of rooms at a certain price. Depending on demand, they may not be able to obtain additional rooms. They would not reserve as many for a second night as for a first night.

Question 2: A post-cruise hotel booked through Princess is fully covered by Princess Vacation Protection (PVP). Cancellation penalties for hotels booked through Princess are described in Standard Policy for Guest Cancellations, Refunds & Final Payment. Note that there is a penalty if cancelled fewer than 57 days before departure for your cruise or hotel package. This penalty is covered under PVP under the same conditions as the cruise fare (cash or FCC depending on the reason for cancellation). If you book direct, you can often get free cancellation until a couple of days prior to arrival at the hotel, so you might not need cancellation insurance. PVP cancellation insurance does not cover any nonrefundable expenses not purchased through Princess.

Coverage for additional trip interruption expenses and medical expenses may be included after your cruise. Download plan documentation for your state of residence from this page. Look at WHEN YOUR COVERAGE ENDS and EXTENDED COVERAGE for your specific state of residence. My policy states "If You return to Your origination point: (i) within two (2) days after the completion of the Travel Arrangements, coverage shall apply until the time of return to the origination point; or (ii) greater than two (2) days after the completion of the Travel Arrangements, the extension of coverage shall be provided only during Your air travel."

• Thanks 1

We were waitlisted in July 2023 for a Princess pre-cruise hotel package in Rome and cleared the waitlist a few months later in October 2023. I paid the Princess pre-cruise hotel package price happily as transportation & hotel cost was very competitive had I booked independently--then there's the convenience factor.

We're currently waitlisted for a Princess pre-cruise hotel package in London----

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

@BamaVol  I am able to see hotel pricing on the website while logged in.  Here is the price it shows for the Weston.

IMG_1463.png

• Thanks 1

We were waitlisted for Princess hotels in both Rome (pre cruise) and Athens (post cruise) when we first booked our cruise about a year before sailing in June 2023 and cleared the waitlist a few months later. I was told it had something to do with the contracts they sign with the hotels for the following year not being done yet. I also liked that all transfers were included. I’m doing a Princess pre night in NYC next month and didn’t even want to think about getting to the port on my own.

Edited by sboh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sboh said:

We were waitlisted for Princess hotels in both Rome (pre cruise) and Athens (post cruise) when we first booked our cruise about a year before sailing in June 2023 and cleared the waitlist a few months later. I was told it had something to do with the contracts they sign with the hotels for the following year not being done yet. I also liked that all transfers were included. I’m doing a Princess pre night in NYC next month and didn’t even want to think about getting to the port on my own.

NYC has Port Authority van transport and also UBER etc.  Are you concerned about them getting you to.your ship?

4 hours ago, t&atravel said:

@BamaVol  I am able to see hotel pricing on the website while logged in.  Here is the price it shows for the Weston.

IMG_1463.png

Where exactly did you find that?  I had also noticed that the prices disappeared a while ago.  I'm definitely logged in and see what I show in the screenshot below.  I also show the link in the website so that you can see that I'm in the "Destination" section which is where I've always checked the hotels and pricing.

image.thumb.png.410f54999b0bf85b9b2b3eaf0f16f95a.png

For those dates you mentioned - you can get the Pan Pacific for $264/night US. This is a steal for this hotel. I would rather stay there!

The Pan Pacific is attached to the pier where your ship will dock in Vancouver.

There are a ton of great hotels within a few blocks of the pier. I would book independently.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would book independently.

We pretty much always do that but I like to check what Princess is offering.  The only time it made sense for us to book with them was when we twice cruised out of Houston.  Their deal which always includes transportation was quite competitive for the short time they sailed out of Houston.  Otherwise we've found that we can do much better booking our own hotel.

35 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

We pretty much always do that but I like to check what Princess is offering.  The only time it made sense for us to book with them was when we twice cruised out of Houston.  Their deal which always includes transportation was quite competitive for the short time they sailed out of Houston.  Otherwise we've found that we can do much better booking our own hotel.

I have booked a few Princess hotels and I agree, sometimes it makes sense. It definitely is convenient. There are 2x I have booked a hotel in London due to transportation and I liked the hotel Princess used. So I am not opposed to Princess hotels as a blanket statement like some on this board.

Vancouver is incredibly easy and with the price of the Pan Pacific and being right at the pier, I would do that over the Westin with Princess.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dog said:

I stayed at that Westin last year. Great hotel. I booked it on my own on Bonvoy app. Princess was there as well.  We took a taxi to ship.  I have also stayed at all the Fairmont hotels there and would do so again.  

I absolutely loved the Pacific Rim hotel. I would stay there again in a heart beat. One of my favorite hotels!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Where exactly did you find that?  I had also noticed that the prices disappeared a while ago.  I'm definitely logged in and see what I show in the screenshot below.  I also show the link in the website so that you can see that I'm in the "Destination" section which is where I've always checked the hotels and pricing.

@azbirdmom  Once logged in, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and selected “cruise ports and hotels”.  That’s it. FYI, it looks like yours if I’m not signed in.  The URL is different than what shows on your screenshot.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Princess hotels fill up pretty quickly. I don't think it is an issue of over committing as IMO - they could buy twice as many rooms and still fill them. 

I am guessing your TA is seeing things properly. It is also possible that they have not released/signed contracts on the rooms for next summer yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have booked a few Princess hotels and I agree, sometimes it makes sense. It definitely is convenient. There are 2x I have booked a hotel in London due to transportation and I liked the hotel Princess used. So I am not opposed to Princess hotels as a blanket statement like some on this board.

Vancouver is incredibly easy and with the price of the Pan Pacific and being right at the pier, I would do that over the Westin with Princess.

I think being right at the dock is less important post cruise than pre cruise. I love the idea of being that close to Stanley Park and a little further from the touristy areas surrounding Canada Place and the steam clock. But there are loads of hotels downtown with 8.0 and higher ratings on Kayak and the Westin price just dropped $12. We may end up there yet. But I would have liked the security of my Princess insurance for another 2 days. Who knows. Still 7 months out. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

@azbirdmom  Once logged in, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and selected “cruise ports and hotels”.  That’s it. FYI, it looks like yours if I’m not signed in.  The URL is different than what shows on your screenshot.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/

Thanks for taking the time to explain.  I also had used that link at the bottom of the home page and still no go.  Sounds like the finicky Princess webpage likes you and is fussy with me and others!

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

I think being right at the dock is less important post cruise than pre cruise. I love the idea of being that close to Stanley Park and a little further from the touristy areas surrounding Canada Place and the steam clock. But there are loads of hotels downtown with 8.0 and higher ratings on Kayak and the Westin price just dropped $12. We may end up there yet. But I would have liked the security of my Princess insurance for another 2 days. Who knows. Still 7 months out. 

I agree - I have stayed at a ton of the hotels in downtown Vancouver and many I would stay at again. It would not be that expensive to get insurance for the 2 extra days in Vancouver when covering hotels. 

On 9/7/2024 at 7:49 PM, ProfMHC said:

Was waitlisted for Princess hotel Buenos Aires 

January cruise

just cleared waitlist a couple of weeks ago 

We just cleared the waitlist for Princess hotel pre-cruise in London. July cruise out of Southampton.