Please Provide Reasons Why a Norway Intensive Cruise is a Must-Do

Twiga

I want to take the 18-Night Norway Cruise: Stavanger, Tromso & North Cape on the Azamara Quest on June 27, 2026, but my husband is a bit reluctant.  His major concerns are that it will be too cold during much of the trip and that we may often encounter rough seas.  We just spent May and June in Europe, including the Azamara Quest France Intensive cruise, and much of the time it was cold and rainy.  This cruise begins in Amsterdam (IJmuiden), with many Norwegian ports up to Honningsvag at the top of Norway, then goes back south and around the top of Scotland, ending in Dublin.

I know that many of you have taken similar Norway Fjord cruises and enjoyed them very much.  Can you please give me some reasons why you liked your cruise, what made it special, and why we should take it?  Thank you so much for your help.  I think it will be just what I need to get him to say yes!

We did Azamara Norwegian Fjord and North Cape from Amsterdam to Nordkapp and back, and at a different time we did the Viking British Isles Explorer itinerary from Bergen to Greenwich with the Shetlands, Orkneys and several stops in Scotland.  The weather was fine, but both cruises were in August.  Both itineraries were highlights of our cruising history.  The Norwegian fjords are unmatched [we have now done all the 'big 4': Norway, Chile, New Zealand, and Alaska].

Highlights among the ports that you will duplicate from our cruises:

•  Stavanger – This came at the end of our cruise, so DW was 'fjorded out' and we just walked around the town.  That was interesting, but I really wish we had followed my plan to take the Rodne Pulpit Rock and Lysefjord cruise or the similar Azamara excursion.  Sadly your cruise doesn't visit Geiranger or Flåm, so I would definitely take advantage to see this fjord in depth.  You will be there from 8 am to 8 pm, so if you are really athletic you could even try to hike up Pulpit Rock!

•  Olden – we took the public bus to Briksdal Glacier, but Azamara offered a shore excursion that included that and more.

•  Lofoten – We rented a car and drove down to the southern tip.  I was quite taken by its stark beauty.

•  Troll Fjord – it's impressive how the captain can spin the ship in a fjord barely wider than the ship's length!  It also made a terrific background for the White Night party.

•  Tromsø – We did the Azamara excursion A Walk with the Huskies.  Warning: this was much more athletic than described!  It was not "a walk along the fjords and around the mountains" – it was being pulled by a small but powerful little canine engine straight across a very lumpy field with lots of minisinks that were full of water and into which many of us got at least one foot stuck past the boot top.  I now remember it as fun – at the time, not so much...

•  Nordkapp is the top of Europe and a pretty cliff.  Maybe more a bucket list check-off than a huge thing in its own right, but since you're there anyway why not?

•  we didn't duplicate any of your other Norway ports – your itinerary is quite extensive and interesting

•  Kirkwall, Orkneys – We put together a small roll call group and hired Red’s Orkney Tours to see Scapa Flow, Churchill Barriers, Italian Chapel, Stones of Sternness, Ness and Ring of Brogan, Skara Brae with lunch at the visitor centre, Yesnaby, Stromness, Maeshowe Chambered Cairn – much more than any ship excursion included.  Recommended, but Red's website doesn't seem to be up anymore; you could try Orkney.com for something similar.

•  Oban, Scotland – I haven't been yet, but I have a cruise on Noble Caledonia that starts there in June 2025 so I have been researching it.  The recommended sights include: Oban Distillery (the last tour is at 2:30, so you could make it); McCaig's Tower (a 'folly' with a view over the town); Oban War and Peace Exhibition.  All are described in Rick Steves Scotland and in the Rough Guide to Scottish Highlands & Islands.

•  Dublin – our Viking cruise visited Dublin but we had spent several days there on a land tour so we skipped all the usual tourist stuff and took a ship tour to Malahide Castle and Howth, which was ok but not the best first visit itinerary.  The Guinness Brewery tour and the Book of Kells would be my top two for Dublin.

If this wasn't long enough, you can get even more details in my blogs:

•  Azamara Norwegian Fjords 2016

•  Viking British Isles Explorer 2018

•  Ireland land trip 2012

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did this itinerary on Holland America in July 2023 and loved it.  Weather can always be different, but for us the only chilly port (mid 40s) was at the North Cape, Honningsvag.  The seas on our trip were generally calm and we were lucky to only have a few hours of rain in Stavanger.  We are from Florida and loved the cool dry air!   One consideration may be for a ship with an opening/closing pool cover in case it is cooler or rainy.

We fell in love with Norway.  The scenery is spectacular, it’s clean, and the people were very welcoming.  This summer we visited Svalbard and Oslo.  We would gladly sail back to see the ports and areas we did not see on our last 2 trips.  Norway is a fascinating and beautiful country!

IMG_3699.jpeg

IMG_3647.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

• Like 3

@Host Jazzbeau  Thank you so much for your detailed information!  You are always a terrific source of information on this board.  I really appreciate the port-specific comments.  I will read your blogs with great interest!

@81Zoomie. I love your photos, wow!  Thank you for taking your time to post them.  

You both have given me great information that I think will convince my husband to take this cruise! 

• Thanks 1

We did Norway on Pursuit’s Maiden Voyage…didn’t got as far North as yours would go but…WOW…we called it the waterfall cruise for the views we had from our stateroom and balcony, we started counting but lost count! However it was August and the weather was very mild, a lovely cool escape since we live in Texas! I think it is a bucket list trip and so glad we did it…with the added enhancement of a maiden voyage which was special!

• Like 4

@AllisonJames. I have read some of your posts in my search for information and I find myself agreeing with your comments.  I appreciate your encouragement!  I love Azamara and I think this Norway intensive cruise will be great!

You do a Norway to the top cruise ( I think ours might have been on the Journey) because it is exquisite. I can think of no reason not to do it. Ours was warm and sunny all the way to Honningsvag. Even if you hit colder or less sunny weather, it would still be breathtaking. Not to mention white nights parked in a fjord. 

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4205.jpeg

• Like 1

Norway is one of my favourite places to cruise to. Because one ship has a Norwegian captain he has shared his knowledge with all the captains so regardless of the ship you go on with Azamara it’s an experience with surprises and little (food) extras - I won’t spoil the surprises- you get with no one else. 
I have done four variations of the itinerary and as regards weather in July and August it’s always been very good. Indeed pack sun cream - as several stops are on the Gulf Stream it can be warmer and sunnier there than parts of Scotland and Northern Europe. 
I hope you can persuade your husband to go, it’s beautiful with lovely people and whilst there are some ports people rightly say you must do x or y most ports are also places for delightful walk arounds yourself and as below finding tiny villages

IMG_5166.thumb.jpeg.90454829c8241ae4cd48b79042c6a6e8.jpeg

IMG_5145.thumb.jpeg.4a1da88f5c73b1eca2000b9387cfa6dc.jpeg

unique micro breweries,

IMG_5382.thumb.jpeg.db08ca3664ce37e946c0cf86e5cd10b2.jpegflowers everywhere

IMG_5377.thumb.jpeg.53074ec1e22f472cfbc69fc86dfb3c8d.jpeg

shops, nature walks and little museums 

IMG_7978.thumb.jpeg.ef789159d7d35b946b0915a7a735753f.jpeg

and who can forget Trollfjord

IMG_5340.thumb.jpeg.8ccfb72a52970f1f2a4b1d429ff7b66f.jpeg

• Like 1

479C85B0-769F-4CAF-A6FF-15CEBE9B7965.thumb.jpeg.117f8645c704b4be21993bf1aa809d8e.jpegWe did the cruise on Journey. It was one of the best cruises we’ve ever taken. We loved the scenery, the midnight sun was great too. One highlight for us was the RIB boat we took at Svolvaer which included Trollfjord and sea eagles.

Our weather, in July, was very mixed - glorious hot sun in Bergen, warm for much of the rest, but snow in Flam and mist at the North Cape. Seas were very calm throughout.AAF44310-36D8-419C-8661-672DD407D81B.jpeg.0f2f40c42b6b5563500638f4ce308d25.jpeg

• Like 1

@fernem  Thank you for the wonderful photos!  I'm glad to hear that the weather can be nice.  White Night in a fjord sounds fabulous!  My favorite White Night so far was in Santorini.  I think I might have a new favorite in Norway!

@uktog and @Grandma Cruising  Thank you for your replies and photos.  You are two of my favorite people on Cruise Critic.  I always enjoy your posts.  @Grandma Cruising, we sailed with you on the Quest Athens to Dubai cruise in November 2022.

Thanks to all of you who have replied to my post, I think I am 99% of the way to convincing my husband to say yes to this cruise.  I think it will be a very special cruise with Azamara. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I may add my two cents - After doing our Norway Intensive I was so pleased we were introduced to Norway on AZ.  To see Norway is to experience the fjords so AZ is perfect.  We were coincidentally in Geringher at the same time as friends on a hiking trip.  As we shared a beer they told us that Norway is fairly expensive.  They were jealous of our views of the fjords. I do recommend getting the pass for the spa deck as we enjoyed sitting in the hot tub there on cooler days.

• Like 1

I’ve cruised Norway twice in June this year and last.  Last year included Orkney and Shetland and southern Norway, this year from Reykjavik over to Svalbard and over to the North Cape and down to Trømso.  The weather was fine both times with daytime temperatures between 15-18°C, with the exception of Svalbard that was nearer to freezing with the windchill.

Whilst the southern fjords are beautiful, I prefer the stark wildness of northern Norway.  I loved that you could still see the snow capped mountains contrasting with the greens and turquoise of the coastal areas.  Lofoten Islands and a Trollfjord cruise are not to be missed imho.  I love Trømso and could happily live there, at least in summer 😂.

Here are some photos to whet your appetite.

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0655.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Twiga said:

@KforKitty  Those temperatures are pretty good.  Did you have much rain?

I love your photos, especially the fourth one with the beautiful emerald green water.  Fantastic!

We were on the Onward in July. We had no rain. In over 550 nights on Azamara this itinerary and the Japan intensives are my favourites. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Twiga said:

@KforKitty  Those temperatures are pretty good.  Did you have much rain?

I love your photos, especially the fourth one with the beautiful emerald green water.  Fantastic!

On the 2023 cruise it was showery 1 day out of 10.  On the cruise this year we did not have any rain in Norway on the cruise days, but again had showery rain one evening on our post-cruise stay in Trømso.  I’m not a hot weather lover anyway so I like the cooler temperatures for sightseeing.

The photo with the emerald green water is Trollfjord that we cruised from Svolvear.  It was so beautiful that I really couldn’t believe I was actually there.

Catherine

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your comments and photos.  I have read them to my husband and showed him the beautiful photos.  He has now said YES!  You are very persuasive!  I am making a chart of the information you provided so I can plan excursions when the cruise gets closer.  Thanks again!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Twiga said:

Thanks to all of you for your comments and photos.  I have read them to my husband and showed him the beautiful photos.  He has now said YES!  You are very persuasive!  I am making a chart of the information you provided so I can plan excursions when the cruise gets closer.  Thanks again!

Norway has been on our bucket list for a while.   And if your husband has said "yes" we will be seeing you on board!    We and our friends have already booked the cruise.   Crazy to think it's still almost two years away, but this cruise fills up quickly.   And re-visiting Kirkwall and Oban again (we just returned in July from Scotland Intensive) is a plus.   These were our favorite ports in Scotland.

mare

1 minute ago, mare s. said:

And re-visiting Kirkwall and Oban again (we just returned in July from Scotland Intensive) is a plus.   These were our favorite ports in Scotland.

What did you do in Oban?  [planning for a cruise that starts there]